Stephon Gilmore

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my extremely untrained eye, considering all of the expert praise Gilmore gets, I keep expecting to see him stick to someonr like glue.....at least on one play. To this point I don't recall seeing that....and seeing many where he either draws a flag or loses his man.

Dibs, NOT to single you out, but too many posters who know a lot about football, let alone this team, are apologetic. "Untrained eye?" You and many of us follow this team more than sportswriters. Your opinion has merit.

First round picks are given a ton of room by fans. Spiller is likened to Sanders. Gilmore is a young Mel Blount. EJ is on his way to greatness. Fans are smart to think this because what can we do to control how the Bills allocate resources? Obviously nothing. But that doesn't make the above statements true.

And btw, the "pros" who have been running the team have been SO unthinkably bad that a team would almost have to try to not make the playoffs for 14 years.

So please, keep posting opinions. I will do the same. :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was the first game I thought that I don't know if he has what it takes. He is a long way from a "shutdown corner." It speaks volumes to me that teams are choosing to go right at him. Not only that they are succesful in doing so. I don't think he is Justin Rogers bad but he really has done nothing to impress in any of the 3 practices (oops games) so far.

I think the new way of officiating illegal contact ruins his playing style and he is having difficulty acclimating, if he does at all. He is a physical corner, and he isn't allowed to really be that anymore.

Huh? Graham gave up the 76 yard TD to Brown, so how is he pushing Gilmore for time?

Graham was picked off by Duke Williams. It was Williams fault as Graham was in the position he was supposed to be in. Watch the play again.

If that's Jarius Byrd back there then that's an int, not a TD.

Edited by vincec

No concern at all. He is an elite "shutdown" corner, no matter how he plays.

I will concede that Gilmore looked bad in a preseason game last night. But if you are going to continue to ride out your anti-Gilmore agenda, you have to also maintain that you have "bad vibes" about Sammy Watkins.

So far, the run defense has vastly improved, so teams are throwing it a lot more on the Bills. IMO, Gilmore does not look like his old self from last year as this could be from his offseason surgery.

What was a little concerning was seeing Rapistburger throw for two TD's against our defense last night. The D-line was unable to generate a sack and Rapistburger was able to carve up our secondary. I'm hoping Schwartz was just playing a vanilla scheme last night and will be more creative during the regular season. Yes, I know, it's "only preseason," but seeing these things does not exactly inspire confidence either.

I wonder if the new emphasis on illegal contact by DBs is hurting his game. He likes to be physical with receivers. To the extent he has to be less so, it may decrease his effectiveness.

I am not going to give up on him yet.

In back to back preseason games, Gilmore has burnt for TDs. Should we be concerned that this trend will continue into the season?

Are you counting Kelvin Benjamin's insane catch?

Or was there a different touchdown against the Panthers?

That was a great throw on that TD, so won't really hold it against him.

That said, I wonder if the new rules are hurting Gilmore. The guy can't hold and grab anymore, which is how he made his living.

I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone came up with an excuse for him.

When exactly did Gilmore make that living bc it certainly wasn't last year when he was terrible and everyone gave the excuse it was bc if his injury or his rookie year when everyone said well he is a rookie. How long before someone blames the changes in defense for his struggles?

Gilmore just isn't very good and was another bad pick by Buddy.

Edited by Max997

McKelvin is a better corner than Gilmore at this point. McKelvin stays step by step with the receiver, just has trouble locating the ball, whereas Gilmore holds the receiver and THEN swats the ball.

Gilmore needs a lesson and should be demoted to #2 CB and let McKelvin take whatever team we're playing's #1 receiver.

This is false. Gilmore is good, he got caught looking in the backfield on a double move.... It's preseason... Relax.

I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone came up with an excuse for him.

When exactly did Gilmore make that living bc it certainly wasn't last year when he was terrible and everyone gave the excuse it was bc if his injury or his rookie year when everyone said well he is a rookie. How long before someone blames the changes in defense for his struggles?

Gilmore just isn't very good and was another bad pick by Buddy.

Wrong again. He was very good his rookie year and stats reflected it.. There was analysis done by PFT that reflected it. Yes he was lousy the first half of last season... But let's see a real non rookie game with two good hands before we declare him a bust eh?

So far, I've heard nothing but excuses on the two TD's that Gilmore has given up. So, if Gilmore gives up 16 TD's in the regular season (1 per game), are people going to be saying "wow, did you see that insane catch the WR made?!"

Insane? Come on, it was a good catch but insane? Far from it

Fact is teams are targeting Gilmore and having success, can't deny it.

Insane? Come on, it was a good catch but insane? Far from it

Fact is teams are targeting Gilmore and having success, can't deny it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gilmore was in position and could have gotten a hand on the ball to deflect it, but he didn't and the WR made a good play. That's still on Gilmore.

I am more concerned about the lack of pressure generated on the play. And it was a nice throw by a big league QB. Gilmore will be fine.

I'm hoping Schwartz is playing a vanilla scheme in preseason, because there wasn't a lot of pressure on Rapistburger last night.

Wrong again. He was very good his rookie year and stats reflected it.. There was analysis done by PFT that reflected it. Yes he was lousy the first half of last season... But let's see a real non rookie game with two good hands before we declare him a bust eh?

Gilmore was better at the end of his rookie year after a terrible start so let's keep things in perspective before telling ppl they are Wrong Again.

Gilmore is being targeted by opposing teams and is not doing anything to stop it. This isn't new to this preseason either as its just a continuation to what we saw last year when everyone was making excuses for him but now there is no injury so the excuse is that's its preseason. Give me a break

So far, I've heard nothing but excuses on the two TD's that Gilmore has given up. So, if Gilmore gives up 16 TD's in the regular season (1 per game), are people going to be saying "wow, did you see that insane catch the WR made?!"

I'd bet a lot that he doesn't give up 16

I'd bet a lot that he doesn't give up 16

I would hope that he doesn't. Now that it appears our run "D" has vastly improved, teams will be throwing a lot more on the Bills. If Gilmore and McKelvin have lingering effects from their offseason surgeries, then other teams will exploit that.