Kelly has spoken to JBJ about joining forces

FluffHead

The article doesn't say Jim wants to move the team with JBJ, it says JBJ's people called Jim about teaming up. Tim Graham confirmed this on twitter. Jill Kelly doesn't dispute the article, but only says that Jim won't be part of moving the team. That being said, JBJ may be trying to get Jim on board to keep team in Buffalo. We are all assuming JBJ is moving (and he likely is....but..) So let's not attack Tim for reporting from his sources. The readers are making the conclusions. Also, say what you want about Tim Graham, but he's probably the best sportswriter at the BN and has a lot of good national contacts and is well respected in the industry.

Tim Graham knew how the reader would interrupt the tweet and article and could have clarified.

This is a manufactured controversy by Graham. The clicks and attention are exactly what he wants.

The beat course of action for everyone is just ignore it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Christ's sake. RELAX. Believe Wawrow if you believe anyone.

JBJ may have had conversations with Jimbo. So what? This Bon Jovi hate is over the top. (BTW I can't stand the guy because he makes terrible music.) The mook's Toronto group is in shambles, he's just trying to come up with something.

If reports are correct, Jim wants to control all football decisions. Look, I live Jim, but brains were never his strong suit. Nobody with any sense would even dream of giving him that kind of control.

It's a bit sad, and odd, that Jim wouldn't just get behind the Pegula bid, but I suppose he is looking out for his family. Perhaps Pegula will throw him a bone once he acquires the team. But til then, he's Han Solo. That's Pegula's best approach at this juncture.

Not to criticize a guy who is struggling so poorly but.....

Didn't Jimbo promise us for near decade that he had an investment group already lined up, now he is basically being interviewed to be a part of other investment groups. That's really what it is, he doesn't have a group, the money guys are not seeking out Kelly, he is searching to backdoor his way into a major investor. Sold us a bad bag of goods.

That said, prayers for you Jimbo

I believe the Graham story. The disdain for this guy, here, is just absurd. I haven't read every post in this thread, but as somebody said (Kirby Jackson I think), JBJ's desire to own an NFL team likely far outweighs his desire to own a team in Toronto.

For Christ's sake. RELAX. Believe Wawrow if you believe anyone.

JBJ may have had conversations with Jimbo. So what? This Bon Jovi hate is over the top. (BTW I can't stand the guy because he makes terrible music.) The mook's Toronto group is in shambles, he's just trying to come up with something.

If reports are correct, Jim wants to control all football decisions. Look, I live Jim, but brains were never his strong suit. Nobody with any sense would even dream of giving him that kind of control.

It's a bit sad, and odd, that Jim wouldn't just get behind the Pegula bid, but I suppose he is looking out for his family. Perhaps Pegula will throw him a bone once he acquires the team. But til then, he's Han Solo. That's Pegula's best approach at this juncture.

Pegula wants the freedom to search out his own football guy and not tie himself to a hometown hero. In all honesty it is a PR nightmare, the team sucks, falls on Jim, then how do you fire a guy who is shaving years off his life by the month and is a savior to the fan base. If Kelly is demanding football control, I would run far away from that deal. The trust and owners don't care if Kelly is behind the bid, so what is the sell. Pegula already has the local community he doesn't need it. I said it above, Kelly has no control here, he is being interviewed to be a part of anything, not the other way around. Any involvement in ownership is a favor from the investor. Anything financial that Kelly can give, I would imagine is just a blip

Pegula wants the freedom to search out his own football guy and not tie himself to a hometown hero. In all honesty it is a PR nightmare, the team sucks, falls on Jim, then how do you fire a guy who is shaving years off his life by the month and is a savior to the fan base. If Kelly is demanding football control, I would run far away from that deal. The trust and owners don't care if Kelly is behind the bid, so what is the sell. Pegula already has the local community he doesn't need it. I said it above, Kelly has no control here, he is being interviewed to be a part of anything, not the other way around. Any involvement in ownership is a favor from the investor. Anything financial that Kelly can give, I would imagine is just a blip

Completely agree.

Kelly will likely have some role as an ambassador with Pegula (unless he burns those bridges in the process--but not likely).But not as a decision maker.

I remember posters saying Jim should be OC or HC. The guy has never been a coach of a team outside of perhaps Pop Warner. If he was serious about being a coach, he would have taken a QC position somewhere.

I though Kelly was already partnered with a group

Congratulations. Once again, you have no conception of reality.

Of course, I assume you were taking a shot because of Kelly's long help position he has a "group" to buy the Bills. But I question why you appear, in thread after thread, to basically make a comment which contributes nothing.

The Pegulas are flying solo as that is the preference of the NFL.

That doesn't answer the question "Why isn't jm backing pegula" It does address why Pegula doesn't invite Jim in as an owner.

Why doesn't/hasn't Jim backed Pegula? Well I'm guessing it's might be due to ego. JK said for so long he had a group ready to buy the Bills---and he does not. Perhaps Jim is worried about his family, and thinks he can make enough $$ to take care of them all if he had an ownership stake.

But this is all speculation. One can only guess why Jim has chosen this course. I have little doubt Kelly wants to threaten keeping the Bills in Buffalo, On that, I'm fairly confident.

Another question I have is, "Why doesn't Golisano back Pegula?" Here's a guy who specifically said he isn't driven to own an NFL team, but would step in if the team was threatened to be moved. Pegula seems like a win/win for him, too. After all, he sold the Sabres to him, so I don't think he is worried about Pegula moving them.

Is it just ego?

That doesn't answer the question "Why isn't jm backing pegula" It does address why Pegula doesn't invite Jim in as an owner.

Why doesn't/hasn't Jim backed Pegula? Well I'm guessing it's might be due to ego. JK said for so long he had a group ready to buy the Bills---and he does not. Perhaps Jim is worried about his family, and thinks he can make enough $$ to take care of them all if he had an ownership stake.

But this is all speculation. One can only guess why Jim has chosen this course. I have little doubt Kelly wants to threaten keeping the Bills in Buffalo, On that, I'm fairly confident.

Another question I have is, "Why doesn't Golisano back Pegula?" Here's a guy who specifically said he isn't driven to own an NFL team, but would step in if the team was threatened to be moved. Pegula seems like a win/win for him, too. After all, he sold the Sabres to him, so I don't think he is worried about Pegula moving them.

Is it just ego?

Jim wants in. Pretty simple. However, he lacks the wherewithal to be a major player in any group as we all know.

Jim wants in. Pretty simple. However, he lacks the wherewithal to be a major player in any group as we all know.

And it sounds like JBJ is desperate to get in as well. If the Kelly's Conditions to join a group are accurate, Pegula and Golisano would both find that unacceptable.

BTW welcome back 26, we have missed you on the Aud Club as well.

And it sounds like JBJ is desperate to get in as well. If the Kelly's Conditions to join a group are accurate, Pegula and Golisano would both find that unacceptable.

BTW welcome back 26, we have missed you on the Aud Club as well.

Of course they would given how relatively little Kelly brings from a financial perspective. The very same conditions have been reportedly rejected by Trump.

Thanks for the kind words.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I believe the Graham story. The disdain for this guy, here, is just absurd. I haven't read every post in this thread, but as somebody said (Kirby Jackson I think), JBJ's desire to own an NFL team likely far outweighs his desire to own a team in Toronto.

That argument doesn't work. JBJ can't afford a team. He is only 1/3rd of a group backed by Toronto businessmen that want a Toronto team. JBJ sold his soul. He knows what he is doing, he's not innocent. Nobody thinks JBJ grew up in NJ thinking you know what I wish I owned an NFL team in Toronto. But in his desperation to own a team he aligned himself with a group trying to steal ours. He deserves all the hate he gets and then some. If he was an honorable guy he would figure out another way. The plan all along has been to steal our team and it has been brewing for years. He's regretting it now

That argument doesn't work. JBJ can't afford a team. He is only 1/3rd of a group backed by Toronto businessmen that want a Toronto team. JBJ sold his soul. He knows what he is doing, he's not innocent. Nobody thinks JBJ grew up in NJ thinking you know what I wish I owned an NFL team in Toronto. But in his desperation to own a team he aligned himself with a group trying to steal ours. He deserves all the hate he gets and then some. If he was an honorable guy he would figure out another way. The plan all along has been to steal our team and it has been brewing for years. He's regretting it now

Exactly. Anyone who tries to deny this is living in a fantasy world.

It has been the goal of Rogers and MLSE to bring an NFL team to Toronto for well over a decade. The Bills happen to be their best chance, and they are not going to give up without a fight. If Pegula gets the Bills they might never see a Toronto NFL team, so it's time to pull out all the stops for them.

But make no mistake: Jim Kelly owning 2% or not: IF Bon Jovi's Toronto money men buy this team it IS moving. If Jim doesn't like it they will just pay him off to buy him out. 2% owners don't call the shots.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Exactly. Anyone who tries to deny this is living in a fantasy world.

It has been the goal of Rogers and MLSE to bring an NFL team to Toronto for well over a decade. The Bills happen to be their best chance, and they are not going to give up without a fight. If Pegula gets the Bills they might never see a Toronto NFL team, so it's time to pull out all the stops for them.

But make no mistake: Jim Kelly owning 2% or not: IF Bon Jovi's Toronto money men buy this team it IS moving. If Jim doesn't like it they will just pay him off to buy him out. 2% owners don't call the shots.

Seriously you guys are over the top.

i should add:

PANIC! PANIC EVERYONE!

Edited by The Dean

Seriously you guys are over the top.

i should add:

PANIC! PANIC EVERYONE!

None of us broke this news. That was Tim Graham.

I have yet to hear how what Graham reported was GOOD NEWS in any way, shape, or form.

Also, you sound a lot like Seattle Supersonics fans sounded. The guy who sold them to businessmen from OKC, along with the mayor of OKC came out and said that any talk of them moving was CRAZY!

Schultz even said he sold them to that particular group because he believed they would not move the team. There was a lease with restrictions on moving.

So pardon me for not feeling all warm and cozy. IF Rogers and MLSE are the major financial investors in this team it WILL be moved to Toronto as soon as they can accomplish that. Maybe it takes until the lease expires. They need to build a stadium anyway, and there's always the Toronto Series to give them a game a year until the big move.

This whole JBJ thing has been fascinating to me. I have a very low expecation of people so I'm not easily shocked by what they are capable of but it's interesting the outrage at JBJ and not really at the actual Toronto guys. But I get it. He made a fortune selling songs about suffering and perseverance to people who could relate to that but given the wherewithall to get a toy that he wants he was willing to step on those same type people like they weren't even there to get it. His at all cost approach makes the corporate Toronto guys look like hometown boosters by comparison. I love the Bills and would hate to see them leave but the comedy of this whole situation has been worth the price of admission. What were the odds 5-7 years ago that the bidder with the most wherewithall to actually buy the team would be Buffalo based? Or that he would have made his billions in such a controversial field? The narrative for the last 30 years has been that when Ralph passes on that his family would have to accept a lower bid if it wanted to keep the team in town. That long held notion was turned on it's ear in a very short period of time. Throw Donald Trump in the mix to boot. I doubt there has been a more memorable sale of a team in US sports history and in the end the former Buffalo Braves franchise and Buffalo Bills will probably be the most expensive teams ever purchased in the NBA and NFL respectively(for a year or two at least).

This whole JBJ thing has been fascinating to me. I have a very low expecation of people so I'm not easily shocked by what they are capable of but it's interesting the outrage at JBJ and not really at the actual Toronto guys. But I get it. He made a fortune selling songs about suffering and perseverance to people who could relate to that but given the wherewithall to get a toy that he wants he was willing to step on those same type people like they weren't even there to get it. His at all cost approach makes the corporate Toronto guys look like hometown boosters by comparison. I love the Bills and would hate to see them leave but the comedy of this whole situation has been worth the price of admission. What were the odds 5-7 years ago that the bidder with the most wherewithall to actually buy the team would be Buffalo based? Or that he would have made his billions in such a controversial field? The narrative for the last 30 years has been that when Ralph passes on that his family would have to accept a lower bid if it wanted to keep the team in town. That long held notion was turned on it's ear in a very short period of time. Throw Donald Trump in the mix to boot. I doubt there has been a more memorable sale of a team in US sports history and in the end the former Buffalo Braves franchise and Buffalo Bills will probably be the most expensive teams ever purchased in the NBA and NFL respectively(for a year or two at least).

This is exactly why the Toronto group is willing to buy him an NFL team to play with. He will take all the flak and they will find a way to move the team to Toronto. Plus we all know that Rogers and MLSE have dreamed of moving the Bills to Toronto. It's no secret.

Bon Jovi was supposed to shut us up make us go "dude! a classic American rocker owner! Cool!" Meanwhile, they would do the work behind the scenes and "force" poor rocker dude to play with his toy in Toronto instead in a few years or so.

You might say they used him, but really, he gets to play owner when he has no business at that table, so both sides get a lot from it.

Edited by TheFunPolice