Ross Cockrell at the Midpoint of Training Camp

johnwalter

I've been intrigued by Cockrell since the draft, and looking forward to seeing him in action. I do think his skill-set translates best to Safety in the long run, I don't think he has the speed to be an outside starting CB.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more impressive is Cockrell will at best be the 5th CB this year and maybe even 6th if they keep Brooks.

I still have major concerns with Gilmore though

You can't put much into the Wonderlic as most of these guys prob don't take it seriously and just want to get it over with.

They take it seriously. There is no question about that.

I've been intrigued by Cockrell since the draft, and looking forward to seeing him in action. I do think his skill-set translates best to Safety in the long run, I don't think he has the speed to be an outside starting CB.

You mean the guy who ran a 4.47 at the combine and a 4.44 at his pro-day doesn't have enough speed to be a starting CB in this league? Poor poor Richard Sherman who ran a 4.54 at combine and a 4.53 at pro-day is probably in some trouble if he wants to be a starting CB then, based on this logic... Are you just pulling this crap out of your butt? I don't get why ya commented.

I also don't understand why some are thinking Brooks should be a safety when he is perfectly fine at CB...

Edited by DukeyBomb

You mean the guy who ran a 4.47 at the combine and a 4.44 at his pro-day doesn't have enough speed to be a starting CB in this league? Poor poor Richard Sherman who ran a 4.54 at combine and a 4.53 at pro-day is probably in some trouble if he wants to be a starting CB then, based on this logic... Are you just pulling this crap out of your butt? I don't get why ya commented.

I also don't understand why some are thinking Brooks should be a safety when he is perfectly fine at CB...

Get 'em Dukey Bomb.

Anyway I think the Ron Brooks at Safety talk is mostly about trying a way to get him on the field. So far in Pre-Season and Camp he looks like the player some thought he would be when he was drafted.

If your dime CBs are McKelvin, Gilmore, Robey, Graham and Williams\Williams at Safety then Brooks and rooster don't see the field and so far through camp they both looked good. The bad news is there is 100% chance of one of the top 6 DBs missing some game time. The Good news is Brooks and rooster should be able to slide in and fill the whole.

Who do you think are the best 6 DBS?

Edited by Why So Serious?

Cockrell is pretty fast, actually. He isn't as fast Gilmore or McK, high 1st rounders, but he has the speed to be an outside corner.

I'm concerned about both starting corner back positions. These new rule changes hurt them, especially Gilmore with his physical style of play.

****, at the rate the NFL is going with the way they want "big, explosive plays" there won't even be a corner back position in a few years. It's really getting stupid, why continue to fix something that isn't broke?

I think the NFL is reacting (maybe overly so) to Seattle's superbowl. The way the corners played, there were years when all of that, clutch, grab and mug defense would have called interference....

Now, I am still trying to figure out that penalty on Gilmore vs. The panthers....

Brooks was always the guy that looked solid in the preseason but then disappears in the regular season.

Concerns about Gilmore.... Nobody reported how he did yesterday which is disappointing..... He is still coming back from injuries now and he still has plenty of time to get his time back.... I wouldn't worry about the rule changes as Gilmore is a freakish athlete every bit as much as a big and strong CB..... Now, is not the time to panic.....

Can't wait to see the whole secondary and playing together with nobody coming off injury or anything like that. To see them playing together for two weeks or so....then a preseason game (or even regular season).

I think the back end of our secondary is going to change from week to week all year.... The injuries alone will do a lot, but certain players are better at certain things..... I wonder if Robey loses time in week one.... I wouldn't be surprised at all with the size of Chicago's weapons.... If healthy, we probably will have Graham at nickel, Searcy at LB, Brooks at Dime,

I think you need a lot of big corners/small LBs/ fast Safeties to match up with Chicago....

We play a team like Pittsburgh with a lot of smaller WRs Robey will shine....

Concerns about Gilmore.... Nobody reported how he did yesterday which is disappointing..... He is still coming back from injuries now and he still has plenty of time to get his time back.... I wouldn't worry about the rule changes as Gilmore is a freakish athlete every bit as much as a big and strong CB..... Now, is not the time to panic.....

Can't wait to see the whole secondary and playing together with nobody coming off injury or anything like that. To see them playing together for two weeks or so....then a preseason game (or even regular season).

I think the back end of our secondary is going to change from week to week all year.... The injuries alone will do a lot, but certain players are better at certain things..... I wonder if Robey loses time in week one.... I wouldn't be surprised at all with the size of Chicago's weapons.... If healthy, we probably will have Graham at nickel, Searcy at LB, Brooks at Dime,

I think you need a lot of big corners/small LBs/ fast Safeties to match up with Chicago....

I saw reports that he was beaten by Antonio Brown a few times. Not surprising considering Brown took his lunch money in last season's game. He tends to struggle against the smaller, speed WRs.

I think it's pretty simple right now. Gilmore, McKelvin, Graham/Robey, Brooks and Cockrell. I can't see any of them being cut.

Defensive Backs.

You're forgetting the Williams brothers and Searcy,

A Dime package will generally have 6 DBs on the field including the safeties.

Williams and Searcy will be the starting safeties with Duke coming up on the rails.

McKelvin and Gilmore will be the starting outside corners.

Robey will start at nickel and Graham will start at dime would be my guess.

Brooks could see some time at dime and Graham will be first cover for all 3 starting corners (cos nickel is pretty much a starting job in the NFL these days). I actually liked Searcy at dime in that package last year.... they could push him in there sometimes and bring Duke in at safety.

IIRC Fitz said that he got two wrong and one of them he got wrong on purpose. I can't for sure remember why, but it was something to do with not wanting the NfL guys to think he was TOO smart, that he wasn't a football player too, just a brainiac.

looks like the nfl guys might have been right

Explain this to me, how do tests have intelligence?

see, and I got a 42. It seemed to me to be more about drawing conclusions.

Also, regardless of how many times the grammar police come at me, it won't change a thing.

So...... Let's get back at the Bills. Not me.

Edited by JaxBills

The Seahawks showed last year that size at CB matters more than speed. That said I think Cockrell will serve as our dime DB this year but has a chance to replace McKelvin in a year or two.

Williams and Searcy will be the starting safeties with Duke coming up on the rails.

McKelvin and Gilmore will be the starting outside corners.

Robey will start at nickel and Graham will start at dime would be my guess.

Brooks could see some time at dime and Graham will be first cover for all 3 starting corners (cos nickel is pretty much a starting job in the NFL these days). I actually liked Searcy at dime in that package last year.... they could push him in there sometimes and bring Duke in at safety.

Holy crap I totally forgot about Graham when I just posted about Cockrell being our dime DB. We really do have some depth in the secondary.

Stopping Forte on 1st down and to a degree 2nd down will be important if we have a chance against the Bears as think if we can keep Cutler to 3rd and longs it will give us a chance to pin our ears back and rush him is best way to beat him. As Cutler doesn't have great escapability.

Edited by The Jokeman

Was he the corner that shutdown Mike Evans in the bowl game---a game Evans was clearly frustrated during that at one point Jonny Football got in his face to try and fire him up--I think it was after A&M scored a TD.

But yea, I agree. Im excited about this kid.

Yes. From my notes on Cockrell for DraftTek:

Ross Cockrell was the DB who Duke had on Mike Evans during the bowl game this year. He had a distinct size disadvantage (5 inches in height, 40 lbs in weight) and held him to 4 catches for 72 yards and 0 TDs. And forced Evans into 2 personal foul penalties in the 1st half.

http://www.newsobser...e-cockrell.html

He's a boundary corner at best, but his work ethic is notable. He used to organize film study groups at his school, 2-time captain, that'll keep him around. We won't keep him to be a Safety, IMHO.