Thad, Tuel...or Hoyer?

Buftex

If the Browns traded Hoyer the fans would riot. He is the hometown hero and i would guess more than half believe he has earned the chance to start. Johnny Manziel is still such a big question mark and the way he plays he is bound to get hurt. They need Hoyer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he won't be. The only place a qb controversy exists would be on this board.

I guess Hoyer is better than Lewis but who knows. He played like 4 games.

I do find it funny that we will call our guy a bust after 4 games & anoint another team's guy as a potential savior after the same amount. :)

My comment wasn't a knock on EJ, it was complimenting Hoyer. True, he didnt play much but what I saw of him he looked in very good control of his offense. No way do I trade Hoyer if I'm the Browns. Just dont see that happening at all.

If the Browns traded Hoyer the fans would riot. He is the hometown hero and i would guess more than half believe he has earned the chance to start. Johnny Manziel is still such a big question mark and the way he plays he is bound to get hurt. They need Hoyer

I would agree... I don't think it happens either. But, if you think about it, it would probably not be a horrible idea for them, if they got a decent return. I will be pretty surprised if Manziel is not the starter on opening day...shocked if he isn't the starter by the end of the year. Hoyer has really not played much, at all, but the perception is that he is pretty good. Think, Kirk Cousins. Once Cousins was forced into action a little more, his value diminished a bit...I could forsee the same thing for Hoyer. For a young team, like the Browns, that is building, getting a decent draft pick, or a good young player for Hoyer wouldn't be a terrible idea. If they beleive in Manziel (and it seems they do), Hoyer is more a commodity than a necessity at this point.

That said, I think a trade would make more sense for a team like the Texans, with no clear starter, would make more sense than a team like Buffalo. The Bills are committed to EJ for the forseeable future, and given the small amount of playing time that Hoyer has had, I am not so sure he is any better, or at least vastly better, than either of the guys we already have backing up EJ.

I would agree... I don't think it happens either. But, if you think about it, it would probably not be a horrible idea for them, if they got a decent return. I will be pretty surprised if Manziel is not the starter on opening day...shocked if he isn't the starter by the end of the year. Hoyer has really not played much, at all, but the perception is that he is pretty good. Think, Kirk Cousins. Once Cousins was forced into action a little more, his value diminished a bit...I could forsee the same thing for Hoyer. For a young team, like the Browns, that is building, getting a decent draft pick, or a good young player for Hoyer wouldn't be a terrible idea. If they beleive in Manziel (and it seems they do), Hoyer is more a commodity than a necessity at this point.

That said, I think a trade would make more sense for a team like the Texans, with no clear starter, would make more sense than a team like Buffalo. The Bills are committed to EJ for the forseeable future, and given the small amount of playing time that Hoyer has had, I am not so sure he is any better, or at least vastly better, than either of the guys we already have backing up EJ.

I believe Hoyer has Kiko to thank for him even having a shot at starting. If Kiko hadn't shredded his knee after 9 qtrs of action last yr, and he had played the whole yr, I am pretty sure no one would be looking at him as starting material. But his sample size is so small that he is technically "3-0 as a starter" and that keeps getting brought up.

I don't see it happening. The Bills staff is stubbornly "happy" with the current QB situation. These are the guys for the Marrone era, IMO. The only way things change is if there is an injury.

True. I don't see the Bills bringing in any QB that could compete with Manuel for the starting position. And Hoyer could at the very least compete for the starting job.

True. I don't see the Bills bringing in any QB that could compete with Manuel for the starting position. And Hoyer could at the very least compete for the starting job.

Compete with EJ? I thought that was about him vs. Tuel or Thad. IMO Hoyer would not compete to start anywhere but where he is because he is a hometown HS hero. I will need to see more of him before I think otherwise. He was not good in college, went undrafted, is on his 4th team, and has too small of a sample size to think he is starter material. Maybe he can be, but I haven't seen it yet. I understand EJ is still developing but there is no comparison in upside between him and Hoyer, IMO.

Listening to Mike Williams on the Bills web site it sounds like EJ had another great practice in Latrobe. Encouraging. He may be turning the corner. Sure hope so because if so this team is going to be a blast to watch this year...IMO.

Compete with EJ? I thought that was about him vs. Tuel or Thad. IMO Hoyer would not compete to start anywhere but where he is because he is a hometown HS hero. I will need to see more of him before I think otherwise. He was not good in college, went undrafted, is on his 4th team, and has too small of a sample size to think he is starter material. Maybe he can be, but I haven't seen it yet. I understand EJ is still developing but there is no comparison in upside between him and Hoyer, IMO.

It is. But neither Tuel or Thad can push Manuel at all. Which, in my opinion, is one reason they are in camp. Hoyer could at least push Manuel. And in my opinion, the Bills have shown no desire to push Manuel so far.

It is. But neither Tuel or Thad can push Manuel at all. Which, in my opinion, is one reason they are in camp. Hoyer could at least push Manuel. And in my opinion, the Bills have shown no desire to push Manuel so far.

No they haven't to this point, and you can disagree with the approach, but it is one that many football evaluators agree with. If you draft a guy to be your franchise QB then you go all in on him and surround him with the talent to be successful and try to drive his confidence. A big part of the game is mental and the guy you choose to lead your team should feel like it is his team until he shows he cannot succeed. The Blls likely don't feel they have close to the sample size to determine that yet. On the other hand, following that same philosophy, if the Jets choose to start Vick or have a short leash on Geno they either don't believe he can play through the valleys or they are going to ruin his confidence. Some don't agree with that philosophy, and feel the QB should never feel like they hold the job too securely. Just a difference in approach.

I believe Hoyer has Kiko to thank for him even having a shot at starting. If Kiko hadn't shredded his knee after 9 qtrs of action last yr, and he had played the whole yr, I am pretty sure no one would be looking at him as starting material. But his sample size is so small that he is technically "3-0 as a starter" and that keeps getting brought up.

reminds me of fitzpatrick's decent run and the contract that followed. there are guys with real limitations who can thrive for half a season or so until defenses figure out how to shut them down.

No they haven't to this point, and you can disagree with the approach, but it is one that many football evaluators agree with. If you draft a guy to be your franchise QB then you go all in on him and surround him with the talent to be successful and try to drive his confidence. A big part of the game is mental and the guy you choose to lead your team should feel like it is his team until he shows he cannot succeed. The Blls likely don't feel they have close to the sample size to determine that yet. On the other hand, following that same philosophy, if the Jets choose to start Vick or have a short leash on Geno they either don't believe he can play through the valleys or they are going to ruin his confidence. Some don't agree with that philosophy, and feel the QB should never feel like they hold the job too securely. Just a difference in approach.

I never even said I disagreed with it :) Just said I didn't think they would bring Hoyer to camp because they don't want to push Manuel :)

He's probably a significant upgrade over Thad, but not even on the same level as Tuel. That said, he'd be the second best QB on the roster.

You're funny.

I never even said I disagreed with it :) Just said I didn't think they would bring Hoyer to camp because they don't want to push Manuel :)

Exactly. You don't want too good a backup or Manuel might start looking over his shoulder after a bad game or two. I don't necessarily agree with this but it seems to me that this is the Bills approach.

I don't see it happening. The Bills staff is stubbornly "happy" with the current QB situation. These are the guys for the Marrone era, IMO. The only way things change is if there is an injury.

+1

You guys gotta know how much of a bromance this coaching staff has going on with Tuel & Thad to keep both active, and jettison Matt Flynn last year. No way they change the current three QB's, unless there is an injury. Then Dixon is there.

Besides, would the Bills trade their 2015 #2 for Hoyer? For guy whom the Browns will probably start this season with at QB, and even if he doesn't start, he is really the only "tuned in" backup at this point. This whole idea just makes no sense to me on any level.

+1

You guys gotta know how much of a bromance this coaching staff has going on with Tuel & Thad to keep both active, and jettison Matt Flynn last year. No way they change the current three QB's, unless there is an injury. Then Dixon is there.

Besides, would the Bills trade their 2015 #2 for Hoyer? For guy whom the Browns will probably start this season with at QB, and even if he doesn't start, he is really the only "tuned in" backup at this point. This whole idea just makes no sense to me on any level.

Patrick Daugherty @RotoPat 22h

Whomever can avoid setting the team plane on fire between Matt Flynn and Scott Tolzien will win Packers' No. 2 duties.

+1

Agreed.

Part of it is the bromance with Tuel, which is illogical and alarming at best and criminal at worst. More of it has to do with coddling EJ and not wanting to give him any competition. Last year, they brought in Kolb to start and to bring EJ along. It was a terrible mistake on several levels. Even before Kolb got predictably hurt twice, EJ was beating him out in camp.

This off season they decided to put all their proverbial eggs in on EJ and just flat refused to bring in any competition for him. So I doubt very much they will do it now.

Plus, they decided (Marrone and Whaley) that it was a better risk to have a guy that has played in the system a full year playing his second year in it over a player with possibly more talent or potential learning it from scratch. A theory I do not at all subscribe to personally. And if you're going to do or believe it, keep one guy and not both of your backups if they are not up to snuff.

The ONLY thing that really gives me confidence in all of this is that I think Whaley is a very smart guy and talent evaluator. He's pretty much betting his GM job that EJ is good enough. We all (most all) hope he is right. But that's a scary proposition.