Why Does Al Sharpton Need Police Officer's Name?

3rdnlng

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pic_main_081914_SM_Ferguson-Sign-G.jpg?itok=6HHmTRRT

Unarmed Man, Six Shots :These details are important, but not the end of the matter.

By Charles C. W. Cooke

The central question in the case of Michael Brown remains as it has always been: That is, “Was Officer Wilson justified in his decision to pull the trigger?” As it stands, we cannot answer this in any useful or definitive manner — and, crucially, we should not try. We have not heard directly from the shooter himself; we do not yet have any way of determining which of the witnesses are reliable and which are not; and, in the absence of reliable testimony from those who do know what happened, we do not have the raw information that we would need in order to come to a conclusion. Thus far, everything has been mere speculation.

This being so, it has become increasingly irritating to watch those who are longing for a particular outcome begin to draw conclusions from the detritus. Over the last week or so, reports that Michael Brown was a) “unarmed” and b) shot six times have been spun in some quarters into “evidence” that suggests that his killing was either unjustified or overblown. This, I’m afraid, is a considerable mistake.

Let’s start by restating what should be palpably obvious: It is wholly possible for an “unarmed” man to pose a threat. That some people are naturally stronger than others is precisely why weaker people arm themselves, recruiting weapons to their side in order to counteract the advantage that their potential assailants enjoy. Day in, day out, across the world, men beat and abuse women with little more than their fists, sometimes fatally. In the United States alone, more than 800 people are murdered by “hands and fists” each year — twice as many as with all types of rifle. That Michael Brown was unarmed is important. But it is by no means the whole story, and it is certainly not enough to spur claims of innocence. With nothing but his own body, Brown could still have posed a mortal threat to Wilson. He could still have charged Wilson. He could still have gone for Wilson’s gun, as a handful of eyewitnesses suggest that he did. Crucially, he could still have made Officer Wilson reasonably fear for his life. Did he? We have absolutely no idea. Simply saying “he was unarmed,” however, as if it suggests that this must have been an execution? Well, that’s premature and silly.

Equally peculiar is the lamentation that six shots were fired. Providing that Wilson had cause to draw his gun — and, again, we have no idea if he did — an officer’s using six rounds during a fight is by no means abnormal or egregious, and it should not necessarily be seen as “excessive.” It is well documented that people shoot extremely poorly during emergencies; that, in the heat of the moment, shooters are unable to tell whether their rounds have hit their targets; and that panic leads a significant number of those with guns to pull the trigger repeatedly, without too much concern as to where the bullets are flying. It is also well documented that it is difficult to stop large men with a 9mm handgun unless one shoots them repeatedly. Bottom line: If — if — Wilson made the right call, then multiple shots were all but inevitable.

This is important. As a general rule, if one is justified in shooting somebody once, then one is justified in shooting them multiple times. In fact, if one’s life is genuinely in danger, one is justified in continuing to shoot at a threat for as long as that threat remains extant.

More at the link :

I provided you with facts explaining why someone will not be charged with excessive use of force for shooting too many times. You chose to wallow in your ignorance. What do I know? I've only been a cop for 15 years.

Then, you say he will be charged because Holder "won't let it slide" and due to "public pressure". A poster called you out on this idiocy, and you denied it. You repeat your stupid, ignorant belief and refuse to provide any evidence to support it (hence, its ignorance). Now, if you didn't believe he should be charged wouldn't you listen to the voices of reason? You ignore them. Therefore, it is obvious that you believe he should be charged.

My reading comprehension is fine.

As a cop you know the law and you should also know that the law doesn't always get interpreted or enforced exactly as written. There will likely be a mountain of legal muscle on the victim's side not to mention political muscle. The victim doesn't need a winning case for charges to be filed. They simply need enough to convince a 3/4 majority of jurors that it's worth pursuing. For these reasons I think charges will be filed. We'll see how it progresses.

Edited by keepthefaith

Incorrect. Once again, it amazes me that individuals with such an otherwise healthy mistrust of government have such a huge blinds spot when it comes to Law Enforcement.

The "robbery" in question took place early in the morning, and the officer was not "responding to it".

Nor was the victim treated as a suspect. He was told to stop walking in the street and get to the sidewalk.

Interesting to compare the right wing response of this to the Bundy ranch incident when the people were pointing guns at the cops and using women and children as human shields. Those people were heroes while this black people are irrational

Interesting to compare the right wing response of this to the Bundy ranch incident when the people were pointing guns at the cops and using women and children as human shields. Those people were heroes while this black people are irrational

You know for you bring up a very good point because these two situations are absolutely identical.

You know for you bring up a very good point because these two situations are absolutely identical.

Absolutely identical..,,lol. Way to raise the bar so far they can't be compared at all. Why don't you want these situations compared?

The Blame for Ferguson : It doesn’t rest with “all of us.”

The Race to Be Wrong :In Ferguson, a familiar spectacle unfolds.

Not That He Favors Racial Quotas or Anything

From Eric Holder’s “open letter” to the people of Ferguson: “And police forces should reflect the diversity of the communities they serve.”

Hiring with an eye on race and ethnicity violates the civil-rights laws that Mr. Holder is supposedly enforcing. And such discrimination is not only unfair and divisive; it also means that the less qualified will be hired over the more qualified, which is in no one’s interest, including of course the general public’s interest in being protected.

Should an all-white jurisdiction avoid hiring nonwhites? Do most nonwhites insist on having a sub-optimum police force because of their racial preferences? If they do, should those preferences be catered to? Can and should a police force be trusted only if it has a melanin content that approximates the melanin content of the jurisdiction’s general population? The answers are no, no, no, and no. And it is certainly not a good thing for the attorney general of the United States to encourage, apparently, the answers of yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Edited by B-Man

The Blame for Ferguson : It doesn’t rest with “all of us.”

The Race to Be Wrong :In Ferguson, a familiar spectacle unfolds.

since this is am sports forum, let's go further. All white communities get all white high school teachers and teams. All black get all black teams.

See that way we avoid racism by segregating every race! That way we eliminate racism! Its a ingenious master plan! And its even better because there can't be any class warfare blabla!

I think Obama is on o something. Or was it Bush? Gator has me backward

You are a liar. No women and children were used as human shields in the Bundy ranch incident. This has been pointed out to you in the past, why do you still cling to it?

Not only does he jump the gun with the investigation, but he does so with 50 f'n lawyers all set out to hang the cop.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/08/anti-police-leftists-take-control-of-ferguson-shooting-investigation.php

Eric Holder’s Justice Department is in Missouri, some 50 strong according to Megyn Kelly, to investigate the shooting of Michael Brown and to decide whether to charge police officer Darren Wilson with civil rights crimes. The investigation and decision is in the hands of the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division.

How much confidence can Americans have in the fairness and objectivity of this unit? The answer, I submit, is little if any.

Christian Adams at PJ Media has been covering the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division for years. PJ Media had to file a lawsuit to obtain the resumes of the lawyers Holder has brought into that group. According to Adams, it turned out that every one of his hires is a left-wing activist, and that some have histories of anti-police activity.

For example, Saeed Mody clerked for the Texas Civil Rights Project, where he assisted the NAACP in suing the Austin Police Department for alleged brutality. As an undergraduate, Mody was co-chair of the campus Palestine Solidarity Committee.

Tona Boyd interned for the ACLU National Racial Justice Project and served as the Racial Justice Chair of the Black Law Students Association at Harvard. As an editor of the Harvard Civil Rights-Civil Liberties Law Review, she wrote an article titled “Confronting Racial Disparity: Legislative Responses to the School-to-Prison Pipeline.”

In that article, Boyd argued that tough law enforcement policies against violent youth should be abandoned because they tend to “cast too wide a net, failing to differentiate between gangs and other group criminal activity, and could exacerbate the problem of disproportionate minority contact.”

I will not be returning to Ferguson

by Ryan L. Schuessler

I had been on the ground helping Al Jazeera America cover the protests and unrest in Ferguson, Mo., since this all started last week. After what I saw last night, I will not be returning. The behavior and number of journalists there is so appalling, that I cannot in good conscience continue to be a part of the spectacle.

much more at the link:

http://ryanschuessler.com/2014/08/21/i-will-not-be-returning-to-ferguson/

Edited by B-Man

On CNN last night, they were showing the AA police captain talking to some of the people... Shaking hands, asking "questions." While approaching the young AA males that looked to be in their 20's & 30's... Why can't the first question be: "So, what do you guys do for a living?" "Got a wife and children?" "Where do you work?"

No. Those questions aren't asked. Whatever stupid question he asked them was answered with: "It's like cops always be hassling us for standing on the corner. They tell us to pick our pants up and move along."

Oh... The humanity... The indignity, they treat us like animals!

Guess this kid's murder isn't as important as an "unarmed teenager's."

http://voices.suntimes.com/news/breaking-news/boy-critically-wounded-in-greater-grand-crossing-shooting/

You are right Darin.

It is to:

The Rev. Michael Pfleger

But, they tuned him out years ago... Too controversial it seems. Pfleger is right IMO, but he is a whisper in the wilderness.