Round 2 : Sale of the team

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The state is going to do whatever they need to in assuring that the team is here long term. Politics aside, it's good for us as Bills fans. This team being here long term is all that matters.

Well, I am not sure if that is all that matters. Personally I think it is silly a business as profitable as the NFL gets a free ride with taxes and somehow is able to sucker government to publicly finance their stadiums. It really is something that I think is wrong.

With that said, I will gladly put all those beliefs aside and be happy with anything that keeps the bills in buffalo.

Well, I am not sure if that is all that matters. Personally I think it is silly a business as profitable as the NFL gets a free ride with taxes and somehow is able to sucker government to publicly finance their stadiums. It really is something that I think is wrong.

With that said, I will gladly put all those beliefs aside and be happy with anything that keeps the bills in buffalo.

If you read what is written "this team being here long term is all that matters" has nothing to do with anyone's political views on funding a stadium. It has to do with the team remaining in WNY not "should governments fund stadiums." Edited by Kirby Jackson

If you read what is written "this team being here long term is all that matters" has nothing to do with anyone's political views on funding a stadium. It has to do with the team remaining in WNY not "should governments fund stadiums."

Stayin?

I really do not get, if true, why the Trust would meet with Gundlach and Kelly if they were not there because they will make a leading bid, but rather in hopes of being paired with another lead bidder. Should we be as concerned about John Bitove as a potential bidder as we have been with the Toronto Group with JBJ?

I really do not get, if true, why the Trust would meet with Gundlach and Kelly if they were not there because they will make a leading bid, but rather in hopes of being paired with another lead bidder. Should we be as concerned about John Bitove as a potential bidder as we have been with the Toronto Group with JBJ?

Because Kelly has enough

Because Kelly has enough influence to get a meeting where he can ask them to speak to lead bidders about the possibility of inclusion in their ownership group--nothing more to it than that IMO.

As to Bitove, doesn't matter. He won't have a chance unless he's planning to keep the team here; same deal as JBJ.

Mostly because when an owner sells a team, it's to who he wants and when he wants...this situation is different because it's an open bid of sorts.

I think you're right, but with 1-2 teams sold (on average) each year, the opportunities are going to come up.

JBJ is reminding me of some type of spoiled child (ex. FARUKA IN WILLY WONKA) - "but I want a golden egg now!" I think everyone, except JBJ, is starting to realize this bid is dead and a move to Toronto was inevitable if he purchased the team. Whispers about Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones telling him to "pack it in" were leaked, yet he desperately feels he's somehow entitled ... ""But, I'm Bon Jovi." JBJ you are playing WAY OVER YOUR HEAD." These guys are BILLIONAIRES ... You are out of their league. Millionaires don't cut it at this level, no matter what a great owner JAWS says you'd be. Go back and put out a few more crappy albums, maybe a Christmas one, and try to whore yourself out to another set of investors tracking a new team. THIS ONE STAYS HERE.

I guess one way to look at it is that the NFL is no different than any other business. How many times do you hear of any state offering tax brakes to relocate a business to there respective states? Most people don't give it a second thought because it is being sold as a job creator. A new stadium could be seen as a similar project if done properly and used for more than just 8 weekends a year for football (ie. Domed to be used for concerts and conventions). As far public moneys going towards it, the way to look at that is , does the tax revenue generated cover the expense laid out? That would include taxes from players salaries, workers at the stadium,ticket sales, concessions, gear that is sold and on and on. Because if not for the stadium that tax base would not exist.

Even with the disclosure of the names of additional parties that may be interested in bidding for the Bills, it does not seem that most can match the perceived overall strengths of Pegula in terms of being a sole bidder (not part of a group), being liquid with enough funds, local and proven commitment to the community, and engaged and serious about winning the auction (including the retention of Allen & Company as his financial advisor for the bid).

If you read what is written "this team being here long term is all that matters" has nothing to do with anyone's political views on funding a stadium. It has to do with the team remaining in WNY not "should governments fund stadiums."

The level of public fundig of stadiums is certainly a central issue in the long term viability of keeping the franchise in western NY. The issue of public funding for stadiums of professional franchises can't be categorized as a conservative or liberal issue. There is a shared view within the political spectrum that $$$ shouldn't be used (or at least less should be used) for franchises (private businesses).

A lot of attention is focused on what the costs would be for a stadium (especially located downtown). That isn't the main money issue. The major financial committment from the public is going to be for infrastructure upgrades and land preparation for a new facility.

In my view the prospective owner of the Bills will assume the major cost for the sport facility and the infrastructure costs will be borne by the public because of the spillover economic effect that will benefit the general public.

In general I agree with much of what you say regarding the sale of the franchise. Where I have a slightly different view from you is that I believe that you are minimizing the political and financial challenges associated with the building of a new facility. It seems to me that your PSL approach to building a stadium is simply too facile for this very complicated financial committment. There are a number of reasons why I am a staunch advocate for Pegula as an owner. One of the primary reasons is that he understands what his financial obligation will be regarding the cost of a stadium that his team will play in.

Interesting that Cuomo seems to be a bit more open to a new stadium. Is there any significance to this?

Pegula makes the most sense to me, but I am still wondering about the poster who claimed that he had heard that the Trust (or certain members of the Trust) favored Golisano.

Pegula may have a stadium plan that begins the moment he wins the bid. If Pegula wins the bid the Bills will be playing in a new billion dollar stadium in 3 years. He may be able to save capital gains tax money on that land sale.

Interesting that Cuomo seems to be a bit more open to a new stadium. Is there any significance to this?

Pegula makes the most sense to me, but I am still wondering about the poster who claimed that he had heard that the Trust (or certain members of the Trust) favored Golisano.

It was a media member that told me they prefer Golisano. But never said Golisano would win the bid. Many in Bills management have a friendly relationship with Golisano.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Pegula may have a stadium plan that begins the moment he wins the bid. If Pegula wins the bid the Bills will be playing in a new billion dollar stadium in 3 years. He may be able to save capital gains tax money on that land sale.

There is a severe penalty for breaking the lease on The Ralph with Erie County. In fact, there is a severe penalty for attempting to break the lease. I think the smart money says the new stadium is ready for the out in 2020---or a at the end of the current lease. I figure it will take at least that long to get the project designed, approved and built. BTW, is the new Peace Bridge finished yet? :bag:

There is a severe penalty for breaking the lease on The Ralph with Erie County. In fact, there is a severe penalty for attempting to break the lease. I think the smart money says the new stadium is ready for the out in 2020---or a at the end of the current lease. I figure it will take at least that long to get the project designed, approved and built. BTW, is the new Peace Bridge finished yet? :bag:

If Pegula gets the team a new stadium would be built quickly. Also a new 30 year lease. The current lease has no impact on a new stadium.

It would either be a retrofit or downtown stadium, but it would happen fast with Pegula.

Edited by TheTruthHurts