Round 2 : Sale of the team

lol, but seriously the guy can never come to WNY again and i'm all in favor of a lifetime ban on all of his music. he might have ruined his chances at ever getting a team (he probably couldn't afford one anyhow). just think of the outcry in whatever city he is rumored to be interested in next. he better cut ties with these Toronto snakes asap and distance himself from the NFL for a while and if he's lucky people will one day forget. but not us...

I understand the resentment of JBJ over this, but honestly, when this is over just let it go. I can't blame him for wanting to own an NFL team, it makes perfect financial sense to want to move them from Buffalo. I'm sure if he had a chance to own the team and he had to keep them in Buffalo he would. It's business, not personal. Also, he sat next to my friend at the Super Bowl in Pasadena, friend said he was the nicest guy and was rooting for the Bills. I think sometimes Buffalo looks silly doing things like defending it's crappy weather and now boycotting music. Pegula will own the team, the team will be in Buffalo the rest of our lives. Let's move on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the resentment of JBJ over this, but honestly, when this is over just let it go. I can't blame him for wanting to own an NFL team, it makes perfect financial sense to want to move them from Buffalo. I'm sure if he had a chance to own the team and he had to keep them in Buffalo he would. It's business, not personal. Also, he sat next to my friend at the Super Bowl in Pasadena, friend said he was the nicest guy and was rooting for the Bills. I think sometimes Buffalo looks silly doing things like defending it's crappy weather and now boycotting music. Pegula will own the team, the team will be in Buffalo the rest of our lives. Let's move on.

I agree. Never cared for his music on the first place but realized the other day how defensive I was getting while my wife was watching TV. Jbj was in the movie and I told her to change it. Think I'm better off just not caring about him as a possible owner anymore.

I agree with most of this post, except for the bolded part. I believe moving a team to Toronto would be a financial nightmare. Maybe the worst move one could make. There are probably markets that might deliver a better return, but I don't' believe TO is one of them. Moving a team from Buffalo (a safe, reliable and established NFL market) to another country, with a terrible record of supporting football (NFL or CFL) is a major risk.

I think sometimes Buffalo looks silly doing things like defending it's crappy weather and now boycotting music. Pegula will own the team, the team will be in Buffalo the rest of our lives. Let's move on.

I think it's unique and I am proud of it.

If circumstances were just a little different, bon jovi would be buying the bills, manipulating our politicians, lying to us, and stealing the bills forever.

I really have nothing against JBJ. He wanted a team, couldn't afford it and we all move on. This is the perfect excuse for never having to hear his crappy music anymore though.

I think it's unique and I am proud of it.

If circumstances were just a little different, bon jovi would be buying the bills, manipulating our politicians, lying to us, and stealing the bills forever.

What circumstances? He had a few hundred million more? Pegula and others weren't interested? The trust didn't demand that the team remain in WNY? The lease wasn't in place? JBJ is much closer to my chances of owning the team than he is to the eventual buyer's (presumably Pegula).

The situation you described above had about as much chance as an alien invasion; it wasn't close at all. He was simply leverage to drive the price.

I really have nothing against JBJ. He wanted a team, couldn't afford it and we all move on. This is the perfect excuse for never having to hear his crappy music anymore though.

What circumstances?

He agrees to be a minority owner of a different group of investors. perhaps.

Edited by The Dean

You aren't alone jahnyc...but I gotta say....

This thread isn't about Brandon or Marrone or Whaley. This thread is about the sale of the team and if it keeps getting derailed I'll keep deleting posts.

Yesterday in the morning we got this in bold and people didn't get it. Now bold and red, you still have italics and underline left to try and get their attention! :}

Then he would have had to overcome the rest of those circumstances. It really was never close to playing out like that.

Of course. But by not being aligned with the TO Vultures, who were quite obviously positioned to move the team, he wouldn't be under as much scrutiny as he is now. He could (and this is all very hypothetical) align himself with partners as rich, or richer than, Pegula. Honor the lease and then press to move the team. In fact, any of the bidders can do that--they aren't legally chained to Buffalo for life.

My point being, it would have to be something completely different for him to have a chance at moving the Bills.

Yesterday in the morning we got this in bold and people didn't get it. Now bold and red, you still have italics and underline left to try and get their attention! :}

Pretty soon it will be flashing!

I agree with most of this post, except for the bolded part. I believe moving a team to Toronto would be a financial nightmare. Maybe the worst move one could make. There are probably markets that might deliver a better return, but I don't' believe TO is one of them. Moving a team from Buffalo (a safe, reliable and established NFL market) to another country, with a terrible record of supporting football (NFL or CFL) is a major risk.

I agree, I should have clarified - another city, but in the US - San Antonio, LA....

Of course. But by not being aligned with the TO Vultures, who were quite obviously positioned to move the team, he wouldn't be under as much scrutiny as he is now. He could (and this is all very hypothetical) align himself with partners as rich, or richer than, Pegula. Honor the lease and then press to move the team. In fact, any of the bidders can do that--they aren't legally chained to Buffalo for life.

My point being, it would have to be something completely different for him to have a chance at moving the Bills.

They aren't legally chained to WNY but without a long term commitment and plan that the trust is comfortable with they would never pick them. They are only accepting an owner that commits to WNY well past the lease.

They aren't legally chained to WNY but without a long term commitment and plan that the trust is comfortable with they would never pick them. They are only accepting an owner that commits to WNY well past the lease.

Well that's good to know. What are they using as criteria for "commitment"?

What circumstances? He had a few hundred million more? Pegula and others weren't interested? The trust didn't demand that the team remain in WNY? The lease wasn't in place? JBJ is much closer to my chances of owning the team than he is to the eventual buyer's (presumably Pegula).

The situation you described above had about as much chance as an alien invasion; it wasn't close at all. He was simply leverage to drive the price.

The timing of Mr Wilson's passing in relation to the lease as well as the emergence of pegula in 2011 as well as his interest in owning a team.

And if nothing else, the intent is/was there which is hackish for an "everyman" "American" "rock" "artist".

Edited by May Day 10

Well that's good to know. What are they using as criteria for "commitment"?

Not sure the exact criteria but it is different for different people I am sure. For example, Pegula saying that he will keep the team carries a lot more weight than JBJ. If I had to guess (and this is strictly a guess) I would say that they wanted JBJ's group to extend the current lease 10-20 more years minimum with the same restrictions. If he didn't he wasn't getting picked. Pegula probably just had to share his long term plan.

The timing of Mr Wilson's passing in relation to the lease as well as the emergence of pegula in 2011 as well as his interest in owning a team.

And if nothing else, the intent is/was there which is hackish for an "everyman" "American" "rock" "artist".

That is true. If Mr. Wilson died in 2019 this would be much scarier.

Not sure the exact criteria but it is different for different people I am sure. For example, Pegula saying that he will keep the team carries a lot more weight than JBJ. If I had to guess (and this is strictly a guess) I would say that they wanted JBJ's group to extend the current lease 10-20 more years minimum with the same restrictions. If he didn't he wasn't getting picked. Pegula probably just had to share his long term plan.

Sounds about right, and reasonable.

Which brings me back to my ridiculous hypothetical. About the only chance JBJ had would have been if he picked a better group to be involved with (with no apparent motive to move the team), as a minority owner . Maybe someone known to/trusted by the community. Then if things didn't work out long term, escape with the team. Years later buy out his partners if he gets rich enough. Far fetched to be sure. Which was kind of my point.

BTW, keep bringing the great info. Between you and Bandit (and my friend Kelly the Dog) we've been in front of the curve the entire time.

I think putting any sports team in Canada makes them irrelevant to most Americans. Think about the Blue Jays and Raptors. No one cares about them. (I skip the Leafs because hockey is mostly irrelevant to American fans anyway.)

Sounds about right, and reasonable.

Which brings me back to my ridiculous hypothetical. About the only chance JBJ had would have been if he picked a better group to be involved with (with no apparent motive to move the team), as a minority owner . Maybe someone known to/trusted by the community. Then if things didn't work out long term, escape with the team. Years later buy out his partners if he gets rich enough. Far fetched to be sure. Which was kind of my point.

BTW, keep bringing the great info. Between you and Bandit (and my friend Kelly the Dog) we've been in front of the curve the entire time.

No problem!!

Your hypothetical is how it would need to play out. The Toronto scenario was just doomed from the beginning.

I think putting any sports team in Canada makes them irrelevant to most Americans. Think about the Blue Jays and Raptors. No one cares about them. (I skip the Leafs because hockey is mostly irrelevant to American fans anyway.)

So what? The point of any offshore expansion is to expand the market and get non-American fans, and more importantly their money.

Who cares if Americans find the teams irrelevant or not.

So what? The point of any offshore expansion is to expand the market and get non-American fans, and more importantly their money.

Who cares if Americans find the teams irrelevant or not.

In the context of the conversation it means a lot. Paying $1 Billion + for a team, then moving them to a market that has terrible track record of supporting football, becomes riskier if they don't bring any US fans with them. This isn't London. Toronto is close to the US border and not "offshore". My guess is, Rogers expected many Bill fans to follow the team. I think he would be shocked how few actually would. Fortunately we don't have to worry about that.

Putting an expansion team there makes more sense (though I doubt it would be successful, either),. You aren't risking a currently profitable business, probably paying much less for the team, and are expected to grow the market from scratch.

Edited by The Dean

The loafs are irrelevant to us hockey fans as well!