Round 2 : Sale of the team

The guy from the Forbes articles sounds like he is talking to some of the NFL owners who want to make sure that the purchase price for the Bills exceeds the price paid for the Dolphins and Browns. Seems a bit unfair to blame MS. If the Trust is requiring that the purchaser of the Bills keep the team in Buffalo and the NFL is already making it known that the Bills will need a new stadium, the purchase price and number of bidders will be negatively impacted.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy from the Forbes articles sounds like he is talking to some of the NFL owners who want to make sure that the purchase price for the Bills exceeds the price paid for the Dolphins and Browns. Seems a bit unfair to blame MS. If the Trust is requiring that the purchaser of the Bills keep the team in Buffalo and the NFL is already making it known that the Bills will need a new stadium, the purchase price and number of bidders will be negatively impacted.

Didn't I read that the purchase price of the Dolphins also included the stadium? If so there's no way the Bills price has to be more than Dolphins

I understand that was the intention of the clause (at least I think it was). And I agree Erie county would likely waive the penalties for any in-county stadium. I'm just not sure what happens if it the stadium is built in another WNY county. Perhaps they would be willing to work out a deal with a neighboring county if something is done there.

Based on the version of the non-relocation agreement published on the Erie County web site, the agreement was drafted so that the Bills are obligated to play specifically at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills would breach the agreement if they, among other things:

• "relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team (or attempt to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team . . . ) to a location other than the Stadium" ("Stadium" being defined as Ralph Wilson Stadium); or
  • "sell, assign or otherwise transfer the Team to any Person who, to the Bills' knowledge, has an intention to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team during the Non-Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium".

However, the parties to the relevant parts of the agreement--Erie County, the Erie County Stadium Corporation (the stadium lessee and the sub-lessor of the stadium to the Bills), and the Bills--could, if presented with a proposal to build a new stadium that would be completed prior to the expiration of the non-relocation term, agree to amend the agreement to permit such a plan.

Edited by Go Kiko go

Based on the version of the non-relocation agreement published on the Erie County web site, the agreement was drafted so that the Bills are obligated to play specifically at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills would breach the agreement if they, among other things:

• "relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team (or attempt to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team . . . ) to a location other than the Stadium" ("Stadium" being defined as Ralph Wilson Stadium); or
  • "sell, assign or otherwise transfer the Team to any Person who, to the Bills' knowledge, has an intention to relocate, transfer or otherwise move the Team during the Non-Relocation Term to a location other than the Stadium".

However, the parties to the relevant parts of the agreement--Erie County, the Erie County Stadium Corporation (the stadium lessee and the sub-lessor of the stadium to the Bills), and the Bills--could, if presented with a proposal to build a new stadium that would be completed prior to the expiration of the non-relocation term, agree to amend the agreement to permit such a plan.

Nice find.

Nice first post.

Yes, that's what I get, too. Erie County could (and probably would) amend the agreement, and drop the penalty, for another stadium in Erie County. I'm not so sure that's the case if the stadium ends up being built in Niagara County. But the agreement, as is, binds the team to Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I still think having a new stadium in 3 years is a pipe dream, without further information. I think the out clause in the contract is about the right time table for a new stadium...and that's my being optimistic.

And I agree, good first post.. But only because you agree with me. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Dean

Yes, that's what I get, too. Erie County could (and probably would) amend the agreement, and drop the penalty, for another stadium in Erie County. I'm not so sure that's the case if the stadium ends up being built in Niagara County. But the agreement, as is, binds the team to Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I still think having a new stadium in 3 years is a pipe dream, without further information. I think the out clause in the contract is about the right time table for a new stadium...and that's my being optimistic.

I agree wholeheartedly. Plus NYS and Erie County would look bad if they contributed to spending 110 Million to fix up RWS only to have a new stadium built in three years. 2019 would probably be the earliest a new stadium would be built.

Haha thanks. It's handy that the county makes all the relevant agreements available online. Too bad we can't get at that Declaration of Trust.

Did it say that the team had to play specifically at 1 Bills Drive, or at RWS?

"Stadium" is defined in the agreement as "The football stadium situated at the Stadium Complex and currently known as 'Ralph Wilson Stadium'", while "Stadium Complex" is in turn defined as "an approximately 197.65 acre parcel of real property situated in the Town of Orchard Park, New York, which parcel is improved by a football stadium and related amenities."

For anyone who is particularly curious, you can read the description of the Stadium Complex parcel (including the exception for the "burial ground lot") in an exhibit to the 2013 lease agreement at the following link (page 88 of the PDF):

http://www2.erie.gov...greement123.pdf

Edited by Go Kiko go

3 years after a stadium plan is agreed.

Haha thanks. It's handy that the county makes all the relevant agreements available online.

"Stadium" is defined in the agreement as "The football stadium situated at the Stadium Complex and currently known as "Ralph Wilson Stadium", while "Stadium Complex" is in turn defined as "an approximately 197.65 acre parcel of real property situated in the Town of Orchard Park, New York, which parcel is improved by a football stadium and related amenities."

For anyone who is particularly curious, you can read the description of the Stadium Complex parcel (including the exception for the "burial ground lot") in an exhibit to the 2013 lease agreement at the following link (page 88 of the PDF):

http://www2.erie.gov...greement123.pdf

Great first two posts....

You have a bright future here

And there's the rub.

I have question, did that stadium report ever get released? I remember being told it was postponed like a month ago, dont remember anything since then. It was supposed to release info on different sites for a possible stadium, like costs.

Im wondering if all that info gets released after a new owner is identified,

Edited by TheTruthHurts

I have question, did that stadium report ever get released? I remember being told it was postponed like a month ago, dont remember anything since then. It was supposed to release info on different sites for a possible stadium, like costs.

Im wondering if all that info gets released after a new owner is identified,

I think I remember reading something saying it would be delayed. As far as I know, it has not been released.