My prediction Bills will Trade for a QB soon

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be all in for this. Bring in Cousins and let him compete for the starting job. If he can't beat out EJ for the starting job he would be a better option at back up over Tuel or Lewis.

I am a big Cousins believer - and was before he was drafted - but I seriously doubt Redskins trade him, and they don't need Spiller.

CJ spiller for a backup QB? C'mon Guys?! Pick up Young, or Tebow, or Orton but there's no reason to get rid of 1 of our most explosive players. Looks like neck breakers for the lot of ya.. Kirk Cousins, gimme a break.

Many Bills fans (and some loud whiners in the media) are almost psychotically addicted to trying to find the next Jimbo. Sorry folks, but the QB draft of 83 is a rare thing. Lucking into a Jimbo or a Tom Brady just isn't something one should expect to happen.

Actually getting too addicted to expecting your QB to be the next Peytin Manning tends to result in teams getting Ryan Leafs. The Bills story is actually one of Ralph being a savior who deserves a lot of credit for keeping the team here, but also reasonable analysis also sees that Ralph suffered from the same QB over addiction and led to him

A. Making a handshake deal with Jimbo to reward him "off the salary cap books" in his next FA deal only to misread how long Jim would last and having to give him a million buck gift.

B. His and Butler's misread of how much Jimbo had left made them wait a year too long to get a replacement and then have to stretch to pick Todd Collins a little early in the draft and then forced the Bills to start him too early in his career as "happy feet" needed to be trained out of him (if it could).

C. The Bills then overreached and traded value for Billy Joe Hobert who it turned out was worthless.

D. The QB addiction then saw the Bills not only trade value for him when their own scouts also signed Flute and promised him a fair shot as starter and agreed to an incentive laden contract. However, they then in a fit of QB addiction Ralph had to sign off on they advanced RJ a contract that forced them to lie to DF. RJ then proved to be injury prone and DF hit every incentive which rolled into his base contract. Since they had already taken the cap hit for advancing RJ they then were forced to extend Flutie and still have far more allocated to the QB cap than reasonable. This then led to overpayment of folks like Fina and the eventual demise of the team.

E. No need to go into reciting the detail our series of reaching for QB talent and then screwing up their high pressure high stakes training .

I like what the Bills are doing with their O player acquisition because the Bills clearly are commiting to be a run first team which demands mostly of EJ that he hand-off, but also took big risks to get the best WR in the draft and a physically talent two-time loser originally from Buffalo to join Woods in being an opportunistic pass game.

EJ is almost certainly not gonna be a great or maybe even consistently very good QB in his second year. However, they are building with the hope of getting enuf Ws from EJ merely being an adequate player.

If you want to play the OP's game then....

Tony Romo is your guy. He can be had for next year's number two and Spiller. The Cowboys are going to implode this year. Their defense may be the worst in the league by the end of the year. Jerry admitted he almost drafted Manziel. Romo's contract will make it difficult to rebuild the Cowboy's but he will fit under the cap in Buffalo. The Cowboys will be 3-13 or 4-12 this year. If the Cowboys start 1-4 then maybe they could make a move for Romo.

None of this will happen but it is actually a good trade for both teams. Dallas will need cap room and draft picks to rebuild. The Bills are only a QB away from the playoffs. I think it is crazy to give up on EJ after 7 games as a rookie with almost no training camp and Hackett as an OC. But it is equally insane to do what Whaley/Marrone has done with the QB situation.

Edited by Dragonborn10

Absolutely.

I don't know who I'd call #5 - but any of Brady/Peyton/Brees/Rodgers and they are major SB contenders.

Top 5 QBs don't grow on trees however.

Fact: all of those players made the playoffs and were all pros their rookie years. Fact.

Everyone knows that I am a EJ Manuel supporter.....but Cousins is one of those QBs I WOULD trade for in a heartbeat

I must admit I have not seen Cousins play much, but still, I don't get the Cousins love.

In 2 seasons, 4 TDs and 7 Ints. 56.2 completion % and 58.2 rating.

These numbers are Tuelesque.

I'd rather roll with Thaddues as #2 backup than trade anything for this guy.

After this next Preseaon game against the Panthers. I predict

The bills will trade for either Cleveland Browns

Bryan Hoyer or Pats Ryan Mallett.

Either one of those 2 QB's would be a upgrade

and might solve our QB dilemma.

Do you think the trade would be for Spiller

Or just draft pick.

Either way we need to make a move soon

Other wise this entire front office might be

Let go with a new owner coming in if

We don't make the playoffs this year.

This GM and coach need to swallow

There pride and make a move.

If we had Mallett or Hoyer we make

The playoffs this year.

Who would Mallett be an upgrade on? Maybe, just maybe, Dennis Dixon? The guy has showed nothing. I'd rather have Garoppolo.

http://chowderandchampions.com/2014/08/08/mayock-wrong-ryan-mallett/

Mallett in regular seasons is a total of 1 for 4.

In the preseason this year, 5 for 12 and 4.6 YPA with a QB Rating of 55.9

In the preseason last year, 42 for 76, 55.3 % completion percentage, a 5.9 YPA and a QB Rating of 80.3

In the preseason the year before, 33 for 67, 49.3 % completion percentage, a 4.5 YPA and a QB Rating of 70.5

In the preseason in 2011, 36 for 63, 57.1% completion percentage, a 5.7 YPA and a QB Rating of 72.0

He might beat out Dennis Dixon, but I'm not sure.

Hoyer is going to start.

Anyone thinking you can judge a guy's ceiling in his second preseason simply doesn't know football Sure, some guys never improve from there on. Most do improve. Some improve a great deal. We'll have to see where Manuel falls.

I must admit I have not seen Cousins play much, but still, I don't get the Cousins love.

In 2 seasons, 4 TDs and 7 Ints. 56.2 completion % and 58.2 rating.

These numbers are Tuelesque.

I'd rather roll with Thaddues as #2 backup than trade anything for this guy.

They may be Tuelesque, those numbers, but they aren't Cousins-esque.

Cousins' actual numbers in two seasons are 56.2% completions, 8 TDs and 10 INTs and a 68.6 QB Rating. Not that those are great, but they aren't as bad as those numbers you mistakenly found. The thing that makes him appealing is how well he did his first year. He had a QB Rating over 100 that year. Last year in a slightly different situation he didn't look good. Did he get worse, or was he a poorer fit in the new system? Hard to tell.

You're right. The stats I mistakenly quoted were his 2013 stats.

Still, here's no way on God's Green Earth I trade CJ and a 2nd for a backup QB.

I wonder what it would take to get Matt Cassel from the Vikings? Or C Ponder? He's a decent backup.

Edited by reddogblitz

They may be Tuelesque, those numbers, but they aren't Cousins-esque.

Cousins' actual numbers in two seasons are 56.2% completions, 8 TDs and 10 INTs and a 68.6 QB Rating. Not that those are great, but they aren't as bad as those numbers you mistakenly found. The thing that makes him appealing is how well he did his first year. He had a QB Rating over 100 that year. Last year in a slightly different situation he didn't look good. Did he get worse, or was he a poorer fit in the new system? Hard to tell.

His first year may have made him appealing, but his 2nd year shouldn't make him appealing whatsoever anymore.

He really only had 1 start in 2012, and that was the last game of the season against Cleveland. Besides that he had mostly mop up duties. While it is impressive that a rookie came in and won his lone start for the season, is that really indicative of his overall talent or is the 3 full games he played in 2013 paint a better picture? In my mind the 2013 games show a clearer picture. In those 3 starts he was 69/130 (53%) for a YPA of 5.47 and 4 TD's against 5 INT's. And keep in mind they lost all the games he played in, in 2013. I think that's what you would be getting if you traded for Cousins.

Is that worth what the Redskins would ask for him? Probably not.

Actually Manziel and Hoyer can not co-exist

On the same team. It's like Orton and tebow

Will see what happens

Ugh, all this BS! Of course they can Co-exist. How can they not Co-exist? Hoyer needs to prove he can stay healthy, and he has someone sitting on the bench looking over his shoulder waiting to prove himself.

His first year may have made him appealing, but his 2nd year shouldn't make him appealing whatsoever anymore.

He really only had 1 start in 2012, and that was the last game of the season against Cleveland. Besides that he had mostly mop up duties. While it is impressive that a rookie came in and won his lone start for the season, is that really indicative of his overall talent or is the 3 full games he played in 2013 paint a better picture? In my mind the 2013 games show a clearer picture. In those 3 starts he was 69/130 (53%) for a YPA of 5.47 and 4 TD's against 5 INT's. And keep in mind they lost all the games he played in, in 2013. I think that's what you would be getting if you traded for Cousins.

Is that worth what the Redskins would ask for him? Probably not.

The Redskins in general were a disaster last year. Thier season was overshadowed by the controversy surrounding Shanahan and Griffin. Shanahans firing was inevitable and by the time Cousins took over for Griffin the players had clearly given up on him. Cousins looked very good last night.

CJ spiller for a backup QB? C'mon Guys?! Pick up Young, or Tebow, or Orton but there's no reason to get rid of 1 of our most explosive players. Looks like neck breakers for the lot of ya.. Kirk Cousins, gimme a break.

Young, or Tebow, or Orton? I think Tuel and Thad are better and getting better. These guys are DONE.