Raiders Looking at San Antonio

jimmy10

You guys gotta understand that there is a real reason as to why no NFL team wants to make LA their home. No decent stadium!

Al Davis thought he could fill the 100,000 seat coliseum, and he was wrong. There are no club seats, no luxury boxes for corporate, no elite concession stands. That stadium was built in 19 freaking 21 and is 93 years old! It is now the primary home to the USC Trojans, and the current capacity is 93,607. Its a college stadium.

Al Davis tried to get the coliseum committee to renovate with club seats, and luxury boxes and they refused. So he moved back to Oakland.

Unless Oakland ponies up to help build a new stadium for the Raiders, I suspect they will permanently leave for San Antonio.. no question!

You guys gotta understand that there is a real reason as to why no NFL team wants to make LA their home. No decent stadium!

Al Davis thought he could fill the 100,000 seat coliseum, and he was wrong. There are no club seats, no luxury boxes for corporate, no elite concession stands. That stadium was built in 19 freaking 21 and is 93 years old! It is now the primary home to the USC Trojans, and the current capacity is 93,607. Its a college stadium.

Al Davis tried to get the coliseum committee to renovate with club seats, and luxury boxes and they refused. So he moved back to Oakland.

Unless Oakland ponies up to help build a new stadium for the Raiders, I suspect they will permanently leave for San Antonio.. no question!

So Davis would move to SA to take up in the 21 year old Alamo Dome? Why is that better than where he is? Nowhere in that article is there a mention of anyone ponying up for a new stadium, or even a modernization of the old one already there.

I'll be sitting Row 3 in section 135 on Sept. 14th, Texans at Oakland.

Now, I'm somewhat reminiscing the time I went to Cleveland in the mid-90's.

It will be a weird game to attend, while knowing this might be the end for Oakland!

Will you be sitting in that same seat on December 21st, Bills at Oakland?

I wouldn't be too sure of that...its' one of the biggest cities in country, and only an hour away from Austin, one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

And San Antonio and Austin are definitely NOT Dallas or Houston!

Sounds like this was a meeting of convenience regardless. If you owned an NFL team in a crappy old stadium (that you can get out of at the end of the year), you'd be a fool NOT to take these types of meetings...

raiders are going to L.A.

this San Antonio dance is just to drive up the price.

Yeah, I don't see the Raiders moving to San Antonio. Even if the Raiders were to move back to Los Angeles, it won't be any time soon. I just don't see the Raiders playing in the L.A. Coliseum or the Rose Bowl until they get a new stadium built, which who knows how long that will be.

The Raiders could have avoided all of this by sharing the new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara with the 49'ers, but they chose not to. Stupid mistake.

Texas is the football capital of the world. They could easily support 3 teams. Drugboyz will be fine. I would worry more if I owned the Texans than the Drugboyz.

It's an old trick. Threaten to move if a new stadium is not built. City doesn't blink. Take bids for a move. If you're Seattle, you actually start moving stuff and having practices in another city. City will blink, probably. That's what they're banking on. If not, then move.

It worked for Seattle Seahawks: http://articles.latimes.com/1996-02-02/news/mn-31565_1_los-angeles

San Antonio would not be a good market. I think it is too much in the Cowboy camp. This seems like silly posturing, anyway. The Raiders should and, I believe, will love back to LA

This is wrong. As someone who lived in San Antonio for 8 years I can tell you they would support the hell out of a football team. Yes there are Cowboys fans there and yes there are Texans fans there but there are a TON of people who simply like college or high school football because they can't stand Jerry and because the city of Houston sucks. The people of SA would not be the problem. However, this has happened before.

San Antonio is a minor league town. They get used as leverage every single damn time and this will be no different. If they really wanted the Raiders they would need to come up with a plan to wow them because all the Raiders are doing is using them to drive up the price for Oakland or LA. I guarantee you the mayor and city planner are convinced the Alamo Dome is good enough for an NFL team. Their thinking is "hey it was built for the Vikings after we were promised they would move so it should work for the Raiders." And that's minor league. Also, the NCAA has said they will not bring the Final Four back to SA because they don't have the infrastructure or the public transit to support the event.

What will happen is the people of San Antonio will get all excited and even come up with new names and logos and colors and in the end they'll end up on the short end, just like in 1994 with the Vikings, in 2005 with the Saints, in 2009 with the Marlins. At least they got minor league soccer recently.

This is more then just a threat, and there is no way Oakland will build a new stadium for the Raiders. Davis wants a smaller more intimate stadium just for Football, and Oakland would want a larger domed stadium to hold other events in it. Then LA is also out of the question. The Alamo dome holds 65,000, and can be expanded to hold 72,000. No professional sports team currently calls the Alamo dome home.

So, the only alternative is San Antonio, and the Alamo dome. Which could be upgraded to support an NFL in time for kick off of the 2015 season.

The Raiders have a past history of moving their team when stadium situations don't suit them. My take is the son will follow in his fathers footsteps.

http://www.businessinsider.com/oakland-raiders-moving-san-antonio-2014-7 http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24642071/report-raiders-owner-mark-davis-meets-with-san-antonio-officials

This is more then just a threat, and there is no way Oakland will build a new stadium for the Raiders. Davis wants a smaller more intimate stadium just for Football, and Oakland would want a larger domed stadium to hold other events in it. Then LA is also out of the question. The Alamo dome holds 65,000, and can be expanded to hold 72,000. No professional sports team currently calls the Alamo dome home.

So, the only alternative is San Antonio, and the Alamo dome. Which could be upgraded to support an NFL in time for kick off of the 2015 season.

The Raiders have a past history of moving their team when stadium situations don't suit them. My take is the son will follow in his fathers footsteps.

http://www.businessi...ntonio-2014-7 http://www.cbssports...tonio-officials

So it could be funded, designed and constructed in a year?

Imaginary thinking.

This is wrong. As someone who lived in San Antonio for 8 years I can tell you they would support the hell out of a football team. Yes there are Cowboys fans there and yes there are Texans fans there but there are a TON of people who simply like college or high school football because they can't stand Jerry and because the city of Houston sucks. The people of SA would not be the problem. However, this has happened before.

San Antonio is a minor league town. They get used as leverage every single damn time and this will be no different. If they really wanted the Raiders they would need to come up with a plan to wow them because all the Raiders are doing is using them to drive up the price for Oakland or LA. I guarantee you the mayor and city planner are convinced the Alamo Dome is good enough for an NFL team. Their thinking is "hey it was built for the Vikings after we were promised they would move so it should work for the Raiders." And that's minor league. Also, the NCAA has said they will not bring the Final Four back to SA because they don't have the infrastructure or the public transit to support the event.

What will happen is the people of San Antonio will get all excited and even come up with new names and logos and colors and in the end they'll end up on the short end, just like in 1994 with the Vikings, in 2005 with the Saints, in 2009 with the Marlins. At least they got minor league soccer recently.

I lived in SA for three years and also know a bit about it. I have an opposite view. SA is a large town population wise, but there is not a ton of money there. And I know it to be a very pro-Cowboys town. Jerry certainly considers it part of his market and you'd have to pry his cold dead hands away from it. Oh and BTW, the city is broke.

As for the Alamodome, the sight lines and lighting are substandard. It would need a ton of work.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I lived in SA for three years and also know a bit about it. I have an opposite view. SA is a large town population wise, but there is not a ton of money there. And I know it to be a very pro-Cowboys town. Jerry certainly considers it part of his market and you'd have to pry his cold dead hands away from it. Oh and BTW, the city is broke.

As for the Alamodome, the sight lines and lighting are substandard. It would need a ton of work.

It's definitely Cowboys territory but they would have no problem putting 60,000 people in the seats every week and that team would get support from the local community. As far as being broke, the city was ranked, by Forbes, as the 11th strongest city economically in the USA. There are two significant billionaire families in the city, but that doesn't matter because the Davis family isn't selling the team. Also, the blue collar jobs aren't the only ones in San Antonio, as many major companies continue to relocate there and it is currently the 7th largest city in the country.

The problem is the city thinks it's existing stadium (Alamo Dome) would suffice in being home to an NFL team and that simply isn't the case and the NFL would reject any bid that didn't include a new, state of the art stadium. When the Marlins were talking about moving there the city planner thought expanding the Double-A stadium used by the San Antonio Missions was an acceptable solution which was absolutely laughable. So, I would say the politicians in San Antonio and their minor league views on what would attract a franchise are the biggest barrier to another major professional sports team relocating to the city. Also, in the case of the NFL, Jerry Jones won't let the San Antonio market go easily. It's why they hold 1/2 their training camp at the Alamo Dome, so Jerry can say it's his.

I could see the Raiders moving to S.A. while a deal gets done and stadium built in LA. I wonder if Davis is a wildcard like the old man was? Al Davis would have totally pulled a move like this.

Same.

The Raiders lease in Oakland expires at the end of this season, and Mark Davis is very unhappy with the current stadium they play home games in. The A's just signed a 10 year deal, and Mark Davis is tired of having his team play in a baseball pit.

From what I'm reading San Antonio is welcoming him with open arms to have their own NFL team. They are also willing to help with upgrading the Alamo Dome, and then go into negotiations to build a new stadium.

"Davis told San Antonio civic and business leaders he isn't seeking a "Jerry Jones-type facility" and prefers "a small, intimate" stadium that he can place "a statue of his father (Al) in front of," a source said."

http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-look-at-potential-home-deep-in-heart-of-5655367.php

Even the thought of the Raiders playing in SA for any amount of time must be giving Jerry some serious "agida"