Will Josh Gordon play this year, after all?

He has hired the same lawyer Richard Sherman used to get his PED suspension reduced. His appeal comes at a great time - when goodell is under the gun for under-punishing ray rice for what appears to be a much worse offense. His case is below -

@ProFootballTalk: Josh Gordon's "A" bottle = 16 ng/ml. "B" bottle = 13.6 ng/ml. Limit = 15 ng/ml. End result? One-year ban. http://t.co/t5fC2F1bNW

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but Gordon is a repeat offender, wasn't Sherman a first timer? I think that makes a big difference. That coupled with his recent DUI arrest, I find it hard to believe that he'll play this year. Maybe though, those test seem suspect if they can yield a passing and failing test with the same sample.

He has hired the same lawyer Richard Sherman used to get his PED suspension reduced. His appeal comes at a great time - when goodwill is under the gun for under-punishing ray rice for what appears to be a much worse offense. His case is below -

@ProFootballTalk: Josh Gordon's "A" bottle = 16 ng/ml. "B" bottle = 13.6 ng/ml. Limit = 15 ng/ml. End result? One-year ban. http://t.co/t5fC2F1bNW

Seems like he really has a case, for failing the drug test. That's a really stupid way to test. If "A" is ok then no need to test "B" even if "B" is way over. But if "A" is over they test "B" and if it's under do nothing. Odd.

Not sure how his DWI would play into it though.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Seems like he really has a case, for failing the drug test. That's a really stupid way to test. If "A" is ok then no need to test "B" even if "B" is way over. But if "A" is over they test "B" and if it's under do nothing. Odd.

Not sure how his DWI would play into it though.

The NFLPA disagrees. They have no problem with it. And the mandatory 1 year suspension they agreed to for stage 3 players.

I don't think this lawyer's "leaky cup" defense is going to save Gordon. Given the looming DUI charge (the guy checked into rehab after that one), how does Goodell lower the suspension?

It will be reduced to a 12 game suspension so he can come back in time to play the Bills in week 13! I'm kidding of course...

This is absolutely ridiculous to me. I do the drug screens for my agency and our policy is standard set at 50ng/ml with the confirm cutoff at 15ng/ml. Both of these must be failed for it to count as a failure and we don't even have a union here! How does the NFLPA let these idiotic rules stand?!

The NFLPA disagrees. They have no problem with it. And the mandatory 1 year suspension they agreed to for stage 3 players.

I don't think this lawyer's "leaky cup" defense is going to save Gordon. Given the looming DUI charge (the guy checked into rehab after that one), how does Goodell lower the suspension?

They agreed with it or it was bargained by the owners? It's quite possible they don't agree with the cutoff and do have a problem with it, but in order to bargain other parts of their agreement they had to agree to this type of testing.

EDIT: And just because the NLPA agreed to it, doesn't mean it isn't a ridiculous test.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I hope the sentence is reduced by a lot. I actually have him in an auction keeper league where you can resign players to 1,3,5 years with roughly 10% - 13% raises each year for 3,5. His salary was $1M last year, so I want keep him on a 5 year deal, but not if he is suspended.