Most Exciting Bills Game Ever

1990 51-3 vs the Raiders. Complete blowout, and overall euphoria. My dad and I spent the entire 4 hour drive back talking about how sure we were that we were going to win the Super Bowl. I think the Giants had already won the NFC, and my Dad was saying he wished the 49ers would have won so people wouldn't question the legitimacy of our pending win in the Super Bowl. D'oh.

I just can't call that game "exciting." It was completely out of control halfway through the first quarter, and pretty much over halfway through the second quarter. Does anyone remember anything about the second half of that game?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't call that game "exciting." It was completely out of control halfway through the first quarter, and pretty much over halfway through the second quarter. Does anyone remember anything about the second half of that game?

Yes, the stadium was in the biggest party mode I have ever seen

Many exciting games mentioned here. One exciting game for me was breaking the other Miami streak, finally winning in the Orange Bowl in 1983 (Our only other victory in the Orange Bowl was in 1966). Ferguson throws for 419 and we win a thriller in OT in what was Marino's first career start.

Would have to be the comeback game against the Oilers. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about the no-punt game otherwise, just judging by the way it went down, that may have been the one.

In recent years, I would probably say the comeback win vs the Pats. As an honorable mention, I might say last year's game against the Panthers. That game was made even more memorable by how good the Panthers ended up doing last year.

Agreed. Maybe the most exciting first quarter or first half. And the comeback was the most exciting second half, but the first half sucked. The 77 seconds was awesome, but the game up to the blocked kick was disappointing for me.

I think the no punt game was probably one of the most exciting from start to finish, but I was limited to television, so the game day experience was lacking.

absolutely.. the single most exciting sports contest i have ever witnessed. blessed to have been able to be there.12th man was defined by this one.

Agreed. That was the game the officials asked the crowd at Rich Stadium to tone down the crowd noise or else the Bills would be assessed a delay of game penalty. Goosebumps just thinking about it

Just an aside about that no punt game. I honestly believe it was the closest that I have ever come to having a stroke. My blood pressure had to be off the charts.

I lived in Michigan back then but had bought one of those 8 Ft satellite dishes to watch my Buffalo sports teams. On a weekly basis my friend, also from Buff came over to watch our heroes. My buddy would bring beer and snacks but he actually felt guilty for imposing every week.

Finally a Bills game that would be on in the Detroit market was scheduled. He invited me over for dinner followed by the 4pm Bills-Niners game.

Just so happens it was the end of baseball season in Detroit. The last place Tigers were playing the second last place Red Sox (or vice versa) and it went into extra innings. As we watched the teams replace pitchers and warm up new ones, my head nearly exploded. The scoreboard at the bottom of the screen was rolling over like a cash register with the Bills score and we were watching the Toledo Mudhens latest phenom warm up. I swear my blood pressure had to be an all time high.

The Bickering Bills loss vs. Cleveland in 1989 in the wildcard game (Harmon's drop, Clay Matthews' INT) was an incredibly exciting comeback. I mention it, because that was really the birth of the no-huddle and the beginning of an era. Kelly and Thurman were hitting their peak right then.

The 77 second comeback in 1990 against the Broncos, followed by next week's comeback win on Sunday night against the Raiders felt like the announcement to the world that the Bills were a contender.

The 51-3 win over the Raiders - at halftime the network showed a crew painting BILLS in the end zone in Tampa ... that was probably the ultimate.

1981 Bills Patriots game. Bills down by 4 at their own 27 with no timeouts. Roland Hooks makes a spectacular diving catch to get to the Patriots 36 yard line. Then catches a Hail Mary on the very next play to win the game, which helped the Bills get to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/buffalo-bills/09000d5d8208e9c1/Hooks-Hail-Mary-catch

Just an aside about that no punt game. I honestly believe it was the closest that I have ever come to having a stroke. My blood pressure had to be off the charts.

I lived in Michigan back then but had bought one of those 8 Ft satellite dishes to watch my Buffalo sports teams. On a weekly basis my friend, also from Buff came over to watch our heroes. My buddy would bring beer and snacks but he actually felt guilty for imposing every week.

Finally a Bills game that would be on in the Detroit market was scheduled. He invited me over for dinner followed by the 4pm Bills-Niners game.

Just so happens it was the end of baseball season in Detroit. The last place Tigers were playing the second last place Red Sox (or vice versa) and it went into extra innings. As we watched the teams replace pitchers and warm up new ones, my head nearly exploded. The scoreboard at the bottom of the screen was rolling over like a cash register with the Bills score and we were watching the Toledo Mudhens latest phenom warm up. I swear my blood pressure had to be an all time high.

lol funny story. Almost feel guilty posting this, but I was at a funeral once and someone was making a speech (droning on and on), all the while Bills were locked in a close one w/ Jets. By the end of the speech about a half dozen of us had managed to sneak out into the parking lot to watch updates on our cell phones.

Ummmm.....captain obvious here, but how bout the comeback game vs the Houston Oilers? Frank Reich? Know him?

I kind of vaguely remember, but didn't Reich also engineer an improbable comeback against Rams on MNF?

1981 Bills Patriots game. Bills down by 4 at their own 27 with no timeouts. Roland Hooks makes a spectacular diving catch to get to the Patriots 36 yard line. Then catches a Hail Mary on the very next play to win the game, which helped the Bills get to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/v...Hail-Mary-catch

lol @ 59 for Pats executing perfect tip drill to Hooks.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I kind of vaguely remember, but didn't Reich also engineer an improbable comeback against Rams on MNF?

Indeed. '89 at the Ralph. 3 TDs in last several minutes if I recall. First Bills, then Rams to regain lead, then Bills to win.

Agreed. Maybe the most exciting first quarter or first half. And the comeback was the most exciting second half, but the first half sucked. The 77 seconds was awesome, but the game up to the blocked kick was disappointing for me.

I think the no punt game was probably one of the most exciting from start to finish, but I was limited to television, so the game day experience was lacking.

Being at that game was an incredible experience.

The OPs choice is one I'll never forget, watching from an undisclosed south west asian location. My buddy, also from Buffalo, and I went nuts...and seemed to be the only ones who cared!

Another favorite is the 51-3 destruction of the Raiders. It wasn't exciting in the nail biting, heart attack sense but I would be VERY excited to see us win like that this year!

Going back a ways to 1974.... It was the height of the Steelers dominance and Buffalo went to play Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh. Buffalo managed to get off to a big lead then the Steelers started to come back. Momentum shifted to the Steelers as Buffalo had the ball third and long on their own six. Steeler crowd was sensed a comeback and were screaming as buffalo came to the line. O.J. Simpson ripped off a 94 yard touchdown run and the crowd turned into a morgue. Buffalo went on to beat the mighty steelers in front of their home crowd.

I guess I'm one of the few here old enough to remember that game. Awesome memory.

Indeed. '89 at the Ralph. 3 TDs in last several minutes if I recall. First Bills, then Rams to regain lead, then Bills to win.

This game was an exact same replica of

monday night.. bills v raiders.. 1974.. rashad TD ..

This game.

Both had the 3 TD scenario. The Bills had their best player out (OJ/Kelly). They couldn't do crap all game. Score a TD with about two minutes or so left. We think we have the game won.

Other team scores a lightning fast TD.

We think we are cooked. No way does this crappy offense get all the way down the field again. (Reich was horrible in his game - first start ever).

But in both cases, they pull off a late miracle by scoring again!

We were doing the Rashad move in the street all the next day. I believe on Willie Brown, of all people.

Both were MNF games, too.