Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still don't understand why it's different now if he admitted to it before. But, whatever.

Surprised the video came out. I would think Rice and/or the Ravens would have paid more for that video than TMZ would.

One of those options is blackmail

For those who say the video shouldn't have changed anything, use your thinking hat.

Situation A: Rice and Fiance are drunk in the elevator, they get in an argument. She gets in his face, slaps him, he pushes her away, and she comes back and repeatedly goes at him. In a moment of rage, he hits her and she gets knocked out. Is that wrong, yes 100%. Should he be suspended and fined, yes (probably more than 2 games). But should he be cut and banned? maybe, but I don't want to take a career away from someone for one incident where he was being attacked and used terrible judgement

Situation B: What occurred in the video

2 completely different situations, and thus why people demanded he be cut today.

Edited by Crayola64

When the Ravens (and the NFL) had a choice, they protected Ray. When they didn't have a choice, they cut and run. That's not shocking or a sign of social media running the show, it's just PR 101. Damage control. They botched the ruling initially, doubled down by either lying about seeing the video evidence or purposefully ignoring said video since it wasn't public at the time, and got caught with their pants down. It's been shameful all around for the NFL and the Ravens both.

You're right it's appeasement. I don't think you have as strong of an argument that this is sign of things to come (if that's what you're suggesting, it may not be).

They always had a choice. I do not understand why or how its become a given that Ray had to be cut.

If you agree its appeasement but its not a sign that social media is dictating the terms? Thats a mighty fine hair you're splitting. You don't see how appeasement might lead to more appeasement?

Hopefully, she files for divorce now, grabs half of his stack before its gone. She deserves it.

i cannot imagine why she went ahead and married the guy after that incident.

Actually that's whats missing in the latest frenzy: her side of it. We don't know what she wants, but I'm guessing since she married him its not that he be suspended indefinitely from his high paying job. We dont know what happened previously in this relationship, but it at least appears that after the February incident that they've reconciled and that there've been no further incidents. Yes the video is disgusting but that doesn't mean they can't reconcile and that Rice can't change for the better ... both of these may be the case post-video. In that case suspending him indefinitely could very well be punishing her as well.

OK, so he is cut. There should really only be a period of a suspension, in reality. He was not arrested.

This is his livelihood. It is bad PR for him to be hired by someone, but seriously, it bothers me that some people think he should be cut off from working.

For those who say the video shouldn't have changed anything, use your thinking hat.

Situation A: Rice and Fiance are drunk in the elevator, they get in an argument. She gets in his face, slaps him, he pushes her away, and she comes back and repeatedly goes at him. In a moment of rage, he hits her and she gets knocked out. Is that wrong, yes 100%. Should he be suspended and fined, yes (probably more than 2 games). But should he be cut and banned? maybe, but I don't want to take a career away from someone for one incident where he was being attacked and used terrible judgement

Situation B: What occurred in the video

2 completely different situations, and thus why people demanded he be cut today.

Your kidding right? There is no defending a man hitting a woman. i watched the video, and yes she slapped him, and then came at him a second time. You don't clock her. You grab and restrain her, and walk away. Period.

No excuse. My daughter is an angel, and sure she would never attack a man over any argument, but even if she made a stupid decision, there is no justifying a man clocking a woman. None.

You are emphatically wrong. WALK AWAY.

I can walk away from a man challenging me because I'm an adult, and I was an elite wrestler, powerlifter, bouncer, and so on in my younger days. I'm an adult. i can walk away from any conflict unless my family was in danger. That is the only reason to use violence against someone.

Actually that's whats missing in the latest frenzy: her side of it. We don't know what she wants, but I'm guessing since she married him its not that he be suspended indefinitely from his high paying job. We dont know what happened previously in this relationship, but it at least appears that after the February incident that they've reconciled and that there've been no further incidents. Yes the video is disgusting but that doesn't mean they can't reconcile and that Rice can't change for the better ... both of these may be the case post-video. In that case suspending him indefinitely could very well be punishing her as well.

Who plays next to a creep like this ?

Look at the world that has been pulled over your eyes! Women automatically get custody of the children, a male student on today's college campus environment, can be expelled without due process for simply trying to initiate sex. Men have rights too! I did not say it was alright to hit a woman. I am saying today the view toward men is slanted.

Two things...One, there is some truth in what you said. Second, even though I agree there is some truth in that statement, I do not see how its applicable here. Ray hit her...Ray faces consequences. This isn't an accusation, this is a documented event in which he already admitted guilt.

My best friend who lives in SA had a woman fake an abortion, never tell him about his son until he was a year old, and tried to extort money from him. Worse yet, she has 2 DUI Arrests while the BABY WAS IN THE CAR. Yet he still hasn't been able to get custody despite being a great guy, with a great job and home. So yes, its really hard to get custody as a man, that I agree with.

Again, none of that is applicable here...Ray is facing the consequences of his factual actions. This has nothing to do with anything being skewed...he made a mistake that he now has to face consequences for (finally).

They always had a choice. I do not understand why or how its become a given that Ray had to be cut.

If you agree its appeasement but its not a sign that social media is dictating the terms? Thats a mighty fine hair you're splitting. You don't see how appeasement might lead to more appeasement?

Call Neville Chamberlain, ask him what he thinks!

The only non-appeasement argument I believe is that many guys in the Ravens lockerroom would not be happy playing with Ray after seeing that video. Maybe they were upset before, and bought into the "he just made a mistake," story. Then, they saw the video and said, "that's f'ed up, I don't believe in this guy."

Still, the NFL suspension is appeasement. That's for certain.

Also, I would like to take bets on how long until Deadspin posts the article, "Will a team try to pick up Ray Rice?" I'm giving it 48 hours, but I think that's generous.

Edited by FireChan

The only non-appeasement argument I believe is that many guys in the Ravens lockerroom would not be happy playing with Ray afte seeing that video. Maybe they were upset before, and bought into the "he just made a mistake," story. Then, they saw the video and said, "that's f'ed up, I don't believe in this guy."

Also, I would like to take bets on how long until Deadspin posts the article, "Will a team try to pick Ray Rice?" I'm giving it 48 hours, but I think that's generous.

Yeah, that seems to have a significant factor in the Ravens move. And it makes sense.

This is something interesting to consider: What if a really good friend of yours that you have known really well, and really like, and think is a very good guy, has that first video come out. And then swears to you that it was self defense and she hit him. And then she, who you know well, too, says it wasn't bad and wants to marry him. It's hard to know what you would believe or do.

If it were me, I think I probably wouldn't believe him. But I don't know for sure unless I was put in that position. And I'm also probably not going to go and try to find out what really happened if she said nothing.

The only non-appeasement argument I believe is that many guys in the Ravens lockerroom would not be happy playing with Ray after seeing that video. Maybe they were upset before, and bought into the "he just made a mistake," story. Then, they saw the video and said, "that's f'ed up, I don't believe in this guy."

Also, I would like to take bets on how long until Deadspin posts the article, "Will a team try to pick up Ray Rice?" I'm giving it 48 hours, but I think that's generous.

I'm sure that the locker room doesn't care all that much.

Suggs has two children with Candace Williams. In December 2012 an attorney representing him confirmed Suggs surrendered his firearms to police in response to a court order filed the previous month by Ms. Williams. In 2009 Williams filed a complaint against Suggs alleging he threw a soap dispenser at her head, struck her in the chest with his hand and held a bottle of bleach over her and their 1 year old son.[27] According to a December 2012 report. In September of 2012 Suggs was accused of punching and dragging his girlfriend Candace Williams beside his car with his two children inside. A temporary protective order was placed against Suggs, causing him to surrender an AK-47 and 6 other guns.[28]

Despite Suggs rocky relationship with Candace Williams, the two were married on December 14, 2012.[29]

In 2011, Suggs bought 9,136-square-foot home at Pinnacle Peak Heights in Scottsdale, Arizona, for $3,495,000.[30]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrell_Suggs

i cannot imagine why she went ahead and married the guy after that incident.

That's actually a pretty normal, predictable pattern for a battered woman. I don't have the time to go into in great depth, but it revolves around low self-esteem, a history of being beaten (usually starting with a parent, or their first "crush)" and ultimately believes, without question, that she is (1) lucky to even have a guy who is beating her, (2) responsible for and probably deserves the beatings and (3) convinced it will surely stop once they get married.

The man who beats a woman preys on the weakest women there are.

When the Ravens (and the NFL) had a choice, they protected Ray. When they didn't have a choice, they cut and run. That's not shocking or a sign of social media running the show, it's just PR 101. Damage control.

Exactly.

They didn't count on the video making it into the public domain so they circled the wagons around Ray. It backfired because they miscalculated the public reaction to the too-short suspension, if Goodell gives him six games everyone is happy. But even with that blunder, the story would have died out if not for the video. Once that hit the interwebs, everyone knew it was time to cut and run.