Who is Sammy Watkins

ganesh

He's the best offensive talent we've had in a long, long time. He has good enough height, big strong hands and a muscular build. He has elite speed, understands the passing game and is an incredible ball catcher due to his great hand eye coordination. Also, once he has the ball in his hands, look out! He runs like a running back. Needless to say we all should be very excited.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The big advantage which Watkins appears to bring is that it sounds like his diverse talents simply demand a double-team. What this means is:

1. When the Bills line up in a standard set (Spiller and Jax at RB, Watkins split wide and Woods on the other side probably the TE or strong sideside ) the opponents need to make a choice about committing a a safety toward the Watkins side. Watkins job is likely to immediately get separation from the CB who is likely on top of him and force the safety to concentrate on him

The Bills now can do a lot of work on the other side of field ranging from a hand-off to Spiller or Jax who pick a hole made by us really having an extra blocker at the point of attack or even better, have the RB (particularly Spiller) cutback and really have one tackler to beat as Watkins has drawn two players down field to dt him.

Manual has a pretty easy read to make as he simply has to judge which way the free safety dting Watkins is leaning outside (to get Watkins if he is gets good separation on the CB likely doing press coverage) or inside to be there to support run stopping if Jax or Spiller runs inside.

If the safety cheats in, the Watkins and Manual make the simple read and Watkins does a fly pattern aganst one-on-one coverage. If the safety is cheating outside the hand the ball off to an RB who is running toward Woods side.

There are lots of other options created with Chandler or the TE working as far downfield as they can depending on the quality of coverage of the strongside LB (Chandler almost never likely sees safety coverage as the opposing safeties have their hands full with the Watkins dt or run support and he is a big boy anyway).

Even better, as Spiller has wideout potential, and Jax game is all around runner and pass catcher, the Bills can either run a standard set (2 RBs and a likely run) or even run an empty backfield with both Spiller and Jax split out. If this is the set-up then Manual/WR need merely read who is the worst cover guy in our 5 wide set-up and Manual throws to the guy he thinks will most easily beat his cover guy off the line.

I like what I see from Watkins skill set.

Spot on assessment.

Sammy Watkins is a special type of player simply put. WRs like him do not come around every year & when they do, it is very hard to get other team's to let you get into position to take them. I'm still shocked the Browns let him get away from them especially since Gordon is done.

Watkins can do everything. You need someone to burn their man down the field on a go route? Watkins

You need that first down on 3rd and 8? Throw Watkins a bubble screen. He can run over DBs or break their ankles

You need that TD on 3rd and goal? Throw up a jump ball and Watkins can go up and get it. His catch radius is massive and he plays even bigger then his 6'1" frame

WAtkins is so dangerous, he affects the way the entire defense has to play opening up all types of plays for his teammates. Defenses are going to learn pretty quick that they won't be able to play man coverage on him without safety help. This leads to the defense having to commit 2 DBs to shadowing him.

That means they will have to have 2 safeties deep. If that's their plan, Spiller, Woods, and Goodwin will have all types of room underneath. Or our RBs will have plenty of room to run

If they decide to just roll with one safety shadowing Watkins, that leaves Williams & Woods with single coverage. Both of those guys should be able to beat their man in single coverage

Just arrived.

I laughed so damn hard over the Shoeless Joe Jackson thing . i looked around to see who noticed . i thought i might have sounded unhinged.

With shoes.

EPIC brother !

Sammy Watkins has earned my respect . And wholly smoke can he play ball !\

Sammy Watkins is No Kiko Alonso.

Sammy Watkins Is ..Sammy Watkins.

nothing more nothing less .

respect/

Edited by 3rdand12

87 catches for 1159 yds and 13 td's for an 11-5 playoff team.

so you know, my crystal ball is a snow globe, so it might be even better numbers.

His contribution to our horrible 3rd down offense, will in itself win 3 ballgames

Sammy gets his OROY, but with all the injuries...i'm going the other way....5-11

Just arrived.

I laughed so damn hard over the Shoeless Joe Jackson thing . i looked around to see who noticed . i thought i might have sounded unhinged.

With shoes.

EPIC brother !

Sammy Watkins has earned my respect . And wholly smoke can he play ball !

Sammy Watkins is No Kiko Alonso.

Sammy Watkins Is ..Sammy Watkins.

nothing more nothing less .

respect/

I swear I post for my own amusement 95% of the time. Glad you thought it was funny

Shoesome Sammy Watkins? So you're saying he's like having your cake and eating it, too?

That is exactly what I'm saying

I see so many words and metaphors to describe Watkins. However, I still can't figure out what differentiates him from the rest of the WRs that were selected in the draft. He definitely does not have the height of a Megatron or Andre Johnson. What is it that really causes him to be an elite talent compared to the others.

PS: This is not a rant against Watkins. I love the fact that the Bills traded up and drafted him. From an Xs and Os point of view I simply want to understand why he is different from the others.

To be entirely honest, I've had similar thoughts, myself. I don't watch a lot of college ball, and I never saw him play in a game. I've watched his highlights. And, yes, he's explosive, great hands, amazing acceleration, etc. But, what I also saw in the highlight reel was plenty of coverage that would be laughable by NFL standards. Clearly, he's a talented, and gifted athlete. Clearly, he has a great future in the NFL. But, there is going to be an adjustment in facing down NFL defenses week after week. If EJ's play is only mediocre, I doubt he's going to have a 1,000 yard season his rookie year.

To be entirely honest, I've had similar thoughts, myself. I don't watch a lot of college ball, and I never saw him play in a game. I've watched his highlights. And, yes, he's explosive, great hands, amazing acceleration, etc. But, what I also saw in the highlight reel was plenty of coverage that would be laughable by NFL standards. Clearly, he's a talented, and gifted athlete. Clearly, he has a great future in the NFL. But, there is going to be an adjustment in facing down NFL defenses week after week. If EJ's play is only mediocre, I doubt he's going to have a 1,000 yard season his rookie year.

I can understand the reticence for putting him in the hall of fame already, but jeesh, this guy's got it all. Humility, Speed, quickness, hands, smarts for the game, vision, acceleration, timing, drive, He's already finished Mckelvin off. They probably don't even want to flirt with Gilmores' confidence by putting him out there. He dictates to the defender.

The only thing I see hampering him is the 'rookie wall'. But he will be targeted early and often for the duration of his season.