What is better, no guns, or more guns?

35 minutes ago, T master said:

Then there are the dum asses that carry them to let every one else know they have them you will be first on the list to be robbed and your gun stolen (a acquaintance of mine did this)  because usually they just want to show off and don't have a clue ! 

Link?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, bdutton said:

Which types of firearms are most commonly used in gun murders in the U.S.?

In 2017, handguns were involved in the majority (64%) of the 10,982 U.S. gun murders and non-negligent manslaughters for which data is available, according to the FBI. Rifles – the category that includes many guns that are sometimes referred to as “assault weapons”– were involved in 4%. Shotguns were involved in 2%. The remainder of gun homicides and non-negligent manslaughters (30%) involved firearms that were classified as “other guns or type not stated.”

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/08/16/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

Hand guns are used a lot in suicides, too. 

53 minutes ago, T master said:

Just because people can carry guns doesn't mean they should . If you have a gun get familiar with it you should practice with it to know how to use it to know what to expect yet some people just buy them to say they have them .

Then there are the dum asses that carry them to let every one else know they have them you will be first on the list to be robbed and your gun stolen (a acquaintance of mine did this)  because usually they just want to show off and don't have a clue ! 

Good post.

For the most part I think every responsible law abiding citizen should arm themselves in order to protect themselves/family/community, just as they should have a fire extinguisher and smoke detector, but you're right, if you don't know how to use your firearm you might be better off without it. 

Also, those who conspicuously concealed carry give gun owners a bad name. They're often the ones who feel emboldened to talk tough because they're armed. That's a good way to end up dead or in prison. When you're carrying you should always go out of your way to avoid conflict. As the fella says, speak softly and carry a big stick (or small firearm as the case may be).

Along the same lines, it's not wise to advertise your collection. When you get a gun you want to talk about it, but that's best limited to friends and family. You wouldn't want half the neighborhood to know you kept a lot of cash on hand, and the same applies to firearms. I used to think having pro 2A stickers on your car and house sent the message that you were a hard target. That's probably true, but it also sends the message that you have guns in your house and/or car available for the taking.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Along the same lines, it's not wise to advertise your collection. When you get a gun you want to talk about it, but that's best limited to friends and family. You wouldn't want half the neighborhood to know you kept a lot of cash on hand, and the same applies to firearms. I used to think having pro 2A stickers on your car and house sent the message that you were a hard target. That's probably true, but it also sends the message that you have guns in your house and/or car available for the taking.

And the last people you want to know you have guns is the government.

And as far as having them stolen, mine are secure.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Gary M said:

My ammo falls right out of the reloaded.

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Yeah, I’ll be getting the setup soon. Only affordable way to shoot 300 blackout. 

Good luck finding components if you don’t already have a stockpile. I just started with reloading this winter before covid got big, and at the time I just bought a couple trays of 100 primers, figuring that would be all I need to get started and try it out. I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not buying them by the 1000 box, as they’ve been harder to find than ammo for the past few months. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

Good luck finding components if you don’t already have a stockpile. I just started with reloading this winter before covid got big, and at the time I just bought a couple trays of 100 primers, figuring that would be all I need to get started and try it out. I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not buying them by the 1000 box, as they’ve been harder to find than ammo for the past few months. 

Yeah it’s been something I’ve been putting off for years and I regret it. 

I don’t know how much ammo I’ve got but I’d guess around 1000 rounds of 9mm, and probably 1500 rounds of 5.56, and probably as many rounds of .22. 

I’m at the point where I won’t go shoot because I can’t replenish.....and I want to buy a 300 blackout AR upper but there’s no point because I cannot buy the pews to feed it. 

On 9/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, Rob's House said:

Also, those who conspicuously concealed carry give gun owners a bad name. They're often the ones who feel emboldened to talk tough because they're armed. That's a good way to end up dead or in prison. When you're carrying you should always go out of your way to avoid conflict. As the fella says, speak softly and carry a big stick (or small firearm as the case may be).

GREAT point. I always keep a gun in my car but I rarely carry. When I do, I open carry. There are negatives to people knowing you’re armed — but I don’t actually want to shoot somebody...so when I go into sketch areas I walk softly, and talk politely.

Also, my carry gun is too big to conceal. Sig M18. 

The other points in your post were great but this one really hit home. 

If you carry and start some nonsense acting like a tough guy...man, the courts are not gonna look the other way and that’s for good reason. Well said. 

• Like (+1) 2

The usual inciters are awful quiet...no mention of Rochester shooting?

The shooter must not be white, my guess.

The story on yahoo was quite sketchy, started with vague details about the shooting

but most of the story was about cops murdering the guy with the spit mask.

Media is awful quiet about this "mass shooting"

Edited by Unforgiven

13 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

The usual inciters are awful quiet...no mention of Rochester shooting?

The shooter must not be white, my guess.

The story on yahoo was quite sketchy, started with vague details about the shooting

but most of the story was about cops murdering the guy with the spit mask.

Media is awful quiet about this "mass shooting"

if the shooter was white it would have been in the headline.