Jaws to discuss EJ on ESPN now

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live and work in Los Angeles in the television industry (set lighting), and I've actually done a fair amount of work for Fox Sports. Here's the thing: if you look closely, you will almost always see an earbud in their ear. This is so the directors/producers can feed them information. With few exceptions, these guys don't write their own material, or do their own research. This clown is certainly no exception. Jaws is just spouting a crafted version of conventional, network wisdom. And, I'm sorry to say, of course, conventional wisdom is going to place Henne, a proven, albeit mediocre (if you want to consider #27 even mediocre) commodity. We all have high hopes for EJ. But, at the moment, that's really all they are-- hopes. EJ had some good games, and he had some bad ones. Henne is consistently mediocre.

EJ, as a rookie missing half of his 1st training camp, posted a higher qb rating than Henne has in every season but 1 year. Henne played 4 games that year and posted a 79. EJ had a 77.7 this year. He also outplayed Henne head to head this year.

Again, it's his opinion but it's pretty baseless.

This thread is funny.

If Jaws had said something exceptional about Manuel everyone would be all over it and talking about how Jaws knows his stuff.

I won't. I don't really care what "experts" say. It's a giant guessing game. Anyone who can say what EJ will be at this point, one way or another, is full of crap.

This thread is funny.

If Jaws had said something exceptional about Manuel everyone would be all over it and talking about how Jaws knows his stuff.

Everyone...I do not think that word means what you think it means

If Jaws had praised EJ, I for one would be scared for EJ's career given Jaw's past record of lavishing praise on young QB one year only to turn coat a bit further on.

After years of hearing Jaws rave about Rob Johnson, JP Losman, and Trent Edwards, I have to admit I'm glad he isn't gushing over EJ.

Regarding Trent Edwards, remember Monday Night vs Dallas! Jaws was raving about TE, then the veyr next play, boom, interception that was almost returned for a TD.

Sadly Jaws = shill

Who is he a shll for?

Local fans act as if EJ is in the Andrew Luck category. He is not. That doesn't mean that EJ can't develop into a legitimate franchise qb. If Jaws would have stated that Manuel has the potential to be an all-pro the majority of the commentary would be that Jaws is an astute qb evaluator. Anyone who has with confidence already determined that EJ is going to be the Bills' longterm franchise qb at this point is simply being wishful.

Edited by JohnC

I think that if you searched the archives you'd be hard pressed to find one positive comment from me regarding Jaws. I got tired of all his film study talk the second time he brought it up.

Prove 'em wrong EJ.

In general...^^^^this!! Especially, your second point. I hope that's exactly how EJ plays this year: strong and with a chip on his shoulder out to *prove* his value and worth. We'll never really know, but Atlanta trading Favre may have been a catalyst to his career, relentless pursuit to demonstrate his ability to play...possible, but unlikely.

Man, you guys are hard on Jaws! I've got to stick up for the Lackawanna kid who once came to talk to my H.S. football team and who I'm guessing is still somewhat of a Bills fan.

Jaws is great at breaking down film and telling us what happened.

For whatever reason, he's horrible at prognosticating what will happen. Despite all his QB expertise, his predictions about the future performance of QBs are notoriously bad.

This from a QB who threw 4 picks in a Superbowl against the Raiders. :thumbdown:

At least he made it to a superbowl.

I don't care for any ex-players. Their insights are really no better than some people here. Coaches are another story.

But I do not know how anyone can argue with Manuel being ranked that low at this point. He has shown extremely little to date. Jaws is not a Bills homer after all.

I must say you are a posting machine Sir. Just curious what's making you post so much recently after being a member since 2010?

I had a buddy that introduced me to this site back in 2010... I just trolled for a while...

Pretty much in the last year I started posting...

In pretty sure the dramatic increase recently has everything to do with enjoying the company of most people here... Quick reliable information... Humor.... Good times

And I'm single and love in my mothers basement.... (Not really)

Again with the avatar...I'm out on this one...

I will say, I like Jaws, and like his game film breakdowns... but, a few years ago, he started taking money from young QB prospects, and young NFL QB's and ran them through these "camp" things. This is outside his ESPN duties. I first became aware of this with JP Losman..it may have been going on longer. Once he started taking money for this, his opnions on QB prospects became a little tainted..what is he going to say, this kid I just spent all this time with, who paid me, is going to suck? Once they pay, he has nothing but good things to say about them.

But jeepers...lets not gang up on him...he is hardly the first inaccurate prognosticator of future QB success, and hell, he is the Polish Rifle...one of our own!

Edited by Buftex

Again with the avatar...I'm out on this one...

I will say, I like Jaws, and like his game film breakdowns... but, a few years ago, he started taking money from young QB prospects, and young NFL QB's and ran them through these "camp" things. I first became aware of this with JP Losman..it may have been going on longer. Once he started taking money for this, his opnions on QB prospects became a little tainted..what is he going to say, this kid I just spent all this time with, who paid me, is going to suck? Once they pay, he has nothing but good things to say about them.

its a tough spot for any of the talking heads. agents find ways to get tv guys to talk their guys up.

what i will give jaws credit for is i enjoy watching him breakdown plays and what happened, or why things happened the way they did. as a fan, thats cool info if you look at is as X's and O's more than gospel on any single guy.

No one is great at projecting young qbs progression - theres just too much that goes into it. nfl gms have a terrible track record, and without analyzing fully, id say jaws is likely behind them (or hed be employed by them) - but not by an huge margin. as far as guys on tv talking football go, i dont think hes worse than most.

last up, ill give similar sentiment to the preseason power ranking thread - id probably put EJ ahead of henne but really, whats the difference at that point. Im probably more suited for the rankings that go by groupings, than precise numbers.

This thread is funny.

Jon Gruden has praised every player in the history of the league and he's horrible on MNF.

I get the point, guy praises Bills he's a genius, guy doesn't praise the Bills he's an idiot.