Steve Tasker - what could have been?

that looks to be of the $25,000 variety, maybe even a game or two off as well. head down, full speed, crown of the helmet. the only saving grace is that is was not helmet to helmet.

Whenever I see that clip of Tasker blowing up that Rams player It always makes me think of those old Crash Test Dummies commercials :lol:

The better question is could Welker ever be like Tasker?

Interesting way of looking at things. Many people forget that Welker started out primarily as a Special Teams Ace himself when he was with the Dolphins. First guy that ever reminded me of Tasker when I watched him play special teams, not quite as talented as Tasker but I remember thinking back then that this kid was a true football player and was never surprised about the amount of success he went on to have in his career.

Tasker's success was a great example of a guy and an organization creatively finding a way to gain a competitive edge. I don't think it parlayed over to playing the WR position though. He wasn't terrible, just didn't have that special gift a guy like Welker seems to have.

This is a good one but does have a lot of talking

http://www.nfl.com/v...OF-Steve-Tasker

Yeah, that's the best I found as well. I was surprised there wasn't more footage readily available. I swear I remember around a dozen plays with Tasker downing punts inside the 1-2 yard line that aren't even mentioned in those couple videos that come up. . . .

He was over rated.

This from the guy who thinks Kyle Williams is also over rated, and stated Fred Jackson was done last off season.....

Jim Kelly wanted Tasker as a WR and Marv Levy said emphatically NO! As he was far too valuable as a special teamer to Levy. Lets not forget that Marv's background was as a special team coach for George Allen's Redskins, and was never anything more as an assistant coach.

Later in his career Tasker was used as a WR and those special teams plays took so much out of him that he would need a few plays off to catch his breath. Anyway, watching Tasker catch everything thrown his way from Kelly, and always open. I have no doubts that he could have made a big impact to the game as a WR.

In my view Steve Tasker is a hall of fame player, as no other player in the entire history of the NFL has made the impact for his team at his position as a "gunner". A 7x time pro bowler, Pro bowl MVP. At only 5'9'' 183 lb he was a feared tackler, as teams would try and devise ways to take him out of the plays, and usually never found a way.

One of my all time favorite NFL players, and if anything he is under rated by the world to not be in the HoF.

He's overrated when people start threads comparing him to Wes Welker -- a guy who currently sits between Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald on the all time receptions list and will probably finish his career in the top 10 all-time.

To suggest Tasker was even in the same universe based on nothing other than a supposed comment Kelly once made about practice is ludicrous. Tasker was NOT a valuable back-up at WR. He caught a grand total of 49 passes in a Bills uniform, one less than Sam Gash.

Tasker was an excellent special teams player, but a guy covering kicks doesn't change the game like a guy who can run them back for touchdowns. I saw Devin Hester change a lot more games than Tasker ever did.

I think your judgment of Welker is overated. First, lets see if in fact he finishes in the top 10 recievers before we declare that he is in the top 10- Particularly in today's NFL where a player can be a concussion away from ending his production, giving him that accolade so prematurely defines overrating.

Besides even if he were to finish in the top 10 for receptions look at the wait which Reed had to bear before he got voted in the HoF and he finished at #3 when his career ended. Not only has Welker not finished his career in the top 10 yet, but even if he is lucky enough to log in at #7 or #8 he likely will equal the judgment HoF folks make of Tasker of always the bridesmaid and never a bride.

You also seem to demonstrate a lack of knowledge about reality with the claim it was an offhand comment by Kelly which is the basis for Tasker's fame. He did change the game in several specific ways.

1. In general, a coaching staff did not spend any time gameplanning for an ST player (unless it was for something like kick the ball away from Hester or Deion) but what Tasker bought to the game was that he was such a good gunner, opposing teams began to assign two blockers to him. He changed the gamplanning.

2. One of the most impressive things about Tasker's play is actually seen in the statistical evidence of ST accomplishment by Mark Pike. Pike was just another good but OK player til he teamed up with Taker, but what happened when Tasker began to draw attention like having two players assigned to him, this I,proved the game of folks like Pike. Tasker gets a lot of credit not only for his play but for demonstrably improving the tackle total of teammates like Pike.

3. One of the key examples of changing the game was that when other teams began taking steps like assigining two players to block him as gunner, Tasker responded by going out of bounds to get down the field but was quick and savvy enough to run down unimpeded (he would go out on the Bills side) to get back onto the field and make the tackle.

Tasker not only changed games he was in (ala your Hester observation) but he also changed games he was not in as the NFL was forced by his innovation to change the rules and ban players from going off field to get downfield.

You sing Hesters' (and also Welker in your overrating of him) but can you site an example of how either player changed games they were not even in?

4. Finally, also remember that in Canton it is not simply the Hall of PLAY but it is also the Hall of Fame. Tasker will get credit from the voters not just for his game changing ST play but also my sense is that he continues to build his FAME through being a constant now as a color-guy and booth analyst on TV.

I know that there are those who only want to think about on field play, and this is certainly a legitimate point of discussion. However, it is simply incorrect for anyone to think about whether a player gets into the HoF has only to do with player production and nothing to do with the abstract non-objective of fame.

Ironically, I think that Tasker will join Reed, Kelly. TT. Smith and even Lofton in the HoF eventually because of every hand he shakes when he travels from NFL town to town each week.

If Welker is lucky and does not get hurt and follows his version of cultivating his fame after he retires then others may overate him a much as you do and he will get in the HoF.

What has barely been mentioned is that in '95 when injuries forced the Bills into using Steve as a WR he responded by being pretty spectacular and ending up on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Another thing that nobody has brought up is the *other* anecdote told about Steve, how the veteran Bills would bet the DB rookies they couldn't cover the ST "scrub" and then pocket easy money when he he promptly smoked them. I have no doubt the guy would have been a quality WR if he jad played he position regularly throughout his career.

3. One of the key examples of changing the game was that when other teams began taking steps like assigining two players to block him as gunner, Tasker responded by going out of bounds to get down the field but was quick and savvy enough to run down unimpeded (he would go out on the Bills side) to get back onto the field and make the tackle.

I am curious about this statement.Was this one of the rules they created about a member of the kicking team going out of bounds? I never quite understood the rules about a member of the kicking team going out of bounds. Could he still make contact with a opposing player in bounds without getting a penalty as long as he didn't contact the ball? Could someone explain the rules to me?

Edited by simpleman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GHtAWiH9BQ

what kind of fine would this be today?

I don't know how I've never seen this before, but it is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Yeah, he shouldn't have put his head down like that. That's a broken neck waiting to happen. But all's well that ends well... well, for Tasker and the Bills anyways :D

I love his reaction after this hit too. Just gets up with the double fist pump, hard as ****

I don't know how I've never seen this before, but it is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Yeah, he shouldn't have put his head down like that. That's a broken neck waiting to happen. But all's well that ends well... well, for Tasker and the Bills anyways :D

I love his reaction after this hit too. Just gets up with the double fist pump, hard as ****

Yeah a dangerous hit for sure

Can anyone find a good Steve Tasker highlight video? I only found a couple, but neither showed many highlights; they were more talking.

Damn man last year there were like 3 or 4 Steve Tasker highlight reels about 10 minutes each on youtube but it looks like they have been taken down. I really wish they were still available so I could post it for the people that think Steve Tasker was overrated. He was f'n awesome man! I think some people look back at Tasker as some kind of "high-motor overachiever" kind of guy but he was a tremendous athlete and was excellent at what he did.

What if Tasker played today? Is there a chance he is as good as Wes Welker? I don't think he was ever as quick as Welker. I don't recall him dropping any of the few balls thrown his way though. Does he start in a three WR set in the slot? Kelly always said he couldn't be covered in practice.

Hogan will be our Welker now.

I think your judgment of Welker is overated. First, lets see if in fact he finishes in the top 10 recievers before we declare that he is in the top 10- Particularly in today's NFL where a player can be a concussion away from ending his production, giving him that accolade so prematurely defines overrating.

Besides even if he were to finish in the top 10 for receptions look at the wait which Reed had to bear before he got voted in the HoF and he finished at #3 when his career ended. Not only has Welker not finished his career in the top 10 yet, but even if he is lucky enough to log in at #7 or #8 he likely will equal the judgment HoF folks make of Tasker of always the bridesmaid and never a bride.

You also seem to demonstrate a lack of knowledge about reality with the claim it was an offhand comment by Kelly which is the basis for Tasker's fame. He did change the game in several specific ways.

1. In general, a coaching staff did not spend any time gameplanning for an ST player (unless it was for something like kick the ball away from Hester or Deion) but what Tasker bought to the game was that he was such a good gunner, opposing teams began to assign two blockers to him. He changed the gamplanning.

2. One of the most impressive things about Tasker's play is actually seen in the statistical evidence of ST accomplishment by Mark Pike. Pike was just another good but OK player til he teamed up with Taker, but what happened when Tasker began to draw attention like having two players assigned to him, this I,proved the game of folks like Pike. Tasker gets a lot of credit not only for his play but for demonstrably improving the tackle total of teammates like Pike.

Tasker not only changed games he was in (ala your Hester observation) but he also changed games he was not in as the NFL was forced by his innovation to change the rules and ban players from going off field to get downfield.

You sing Hesters' (and also Welker in your overrating of him) but can you site an example of how either player changed games they were not even in?

4. Finally, also remember that in Canton it is not simply the Hall of PLAY but it is also the Hall of Fame. Tasker will get credit from the voters not just for his game changing ST play but also my sense is that he continues to build his FAME through being a constant now as a color-guy and booth analyst on TV.

I know that there are those who only want to think about on field play, and this is certainly a legitimate point of discussion. However, it is simply incorrect for anyone to think about whether a player gets into the HoF has only to do with player production and nothing to do with the abstract non-objective of fame.

Ironically, I think that Tasker will join Reed, Kelly. TT. Smith and even Lofton in the HoF eventually because of every hand he shakes when he travels from NFL town to town each week.

If Welker is lucky and does not get hurt and follows his version of cultivating his fame after he retires then others may overate him a much as you do and he will get in the HoF.

Wrong! Check out Jimmy Johnson talking Cowboy SB preparation for the SB games with the Bills.

Try reading. I didn't declare anything that wasn't evident and your judgement of Welker is laughably underrated. Yeah, let's compare a guy sitting at #24 all time in receptions to a guy that could beat rookie corners in training camp. What an idiotic comparison. But good job writing 3 paragraphs that boil down to "Tasker was a really good gunner". Yeah, pro football has never been the same, Tasker was just like Sammy Baugh. :rolleyes:

Try scraping those homer-colored contacts off your eyeballs.

Edited by KD in CT

Try reading. I didn't declare anything that wasn't evident and your judgement of Welker is laughably underrated. Yeah, let's compare a guy sitting at #24 all time in receptions to a guy that could beat rookie corners in training camp. What an idiotic comparison. But good job writing 3 paragraphs that boil down to "Tasker was a really good gunner". Yeah, pro football has never been the same, Tasker was just like Sammy Baugh. :rolleyes:

Try scraping those homer-colored contacts off your eyeballs.

All I am saying is that it on the face of it rating Welker as having a great career before that career is done. Is it underrating Welker to not declare him a top 10 WR when he is # 24 on the reception list.

As far as Tasker, I rate him as being one of the more notable ST players for his career. Perhaps you disagree with me on that which is fine, but the fact you disagree also with the NFL experts who have dubbed him a perennial HoF finalist raises far more legit questions about your underrating of Tasker.

Also IMHO, I do not rate him as being at HoF levels yet, so perhaps I would overrate him if I did but I do not so again on the face of it I do not see what you are saying.

Will Tasker deserve HoF status in the future? Could be vand fun to argue about. If the HoFAME was simply about on field performance the answer likely would be no. However, since it the HoFAME and Tasker both continues to add to his football related fame with one of the relatively few weekly football announcer gigs and the team he was a key part of continues to grow in stature as this group continues to grow in football lore with the Reed induction, the Tasker case continues to grow.

I hope Welker's case also continues to grow and he actually does finish in the top 10 in receptions (meeting the hopes of his fans who overrate him because he has not reached this mark yet).

Steve Tasker did not play much WR at Northwestern. He was always viewed as a special teamer and if he wasn't so great at that he probably might have gotten more opportunity as a WR. In many ways, Steve was a better football talent than Welker is. Better hands (wouldn't be surprised if Welker has an above average drop%), better at beating blocks/tackling, physically stronger and if you were an olb you certainly did not want Steve Tasker blocking down on you because he would light you up.

Everything Steve had that made him great as a special teams ace would have translated well to making him an exceptional slot receiver, imo.