Greg Gabriel National Football Post previews 2014 Bills

It all depends on EJ's development. I think Gabriel makes too much of the impact of the defensive coordinator/scheme change.

Totally agree. This team will go as far as EJ'S readiness will take them. I know that sounds cliche but I think the team is now good enough for that to be true.

Edited by Triple Threat

I can't wait for t he day when people have to eat these words

As improved as the Bills may be, they are still not a playoff team. While they could get lucky and finish as high as second in the AFC East (Miami and the Jets are weak), they will not be able to overtake New England*.

It all depends on EJ's development. I think Gabriel makes too much of the impact of the defensive coordinator/scheme change.

I actually think he's right on with the defensive scheme impact. To the surprise of many, D looks to take a step back this year. Pettine loss hurts.

I can't wait for t he day when people have to eat these words

As improved as the Bills may be, they are still not a playoff team. While they could get lucky and finish as high as second in the AFC East (Miami and the Jets are weak), they will not be able to overtake New England*.

...until we do.

I actually think he's right on with the defensive scheme impact. To the surprise of many, D looks to take a step back this year. Pettine loss hurts.

I don't think the Pettine loss will hurt at all, considering that his run defense was weak and inconsistent. It seemed that the teams that wanted to, could run at will on the Bills last season. Yes, we probably won't have as many sacks, but if we can shore up the run defense, Pettine will be long forgotten.

I disagree. The biggest problem in Pettine's defense was that he could not stop the Run (28th) and get off the field on 3rd and longs. If Scwartz can fix those two with the new talent (Spikes, Rivers and Rookie Preston), then may be the defense will improve. The entire DL is coming back intact and have already shown that they can adjust. After all this team switched from a 4-3 just last year to Pettine's 3-4 and that front line did not miss a beat.

I don't think the Pettine loss will hurt at all, considering that his run defense was weak and inconsistent. It seemed that the teams that wanted to, could run at will on the Bills last season. Yes, we probably won't have as many sacks, but if we can shore up the run defense, Pettine will be long forgotten.

If we shore up the run D I think we can make the playoffs. Don't forget Detroit played with a 5-2 last year . With Spikes I think the run D will be better. Kiko will be able to chase down more plays from the outside which better suits his skills.

I think Searcy will start at SS. He made some plays last year.

Cant wait till preseason to see how it shakes out.

I looks forward to seeing this D this preseason. It should tell us much.

Unless of course it's at the expensive of sacks, turnovers and passing game issues.

If I had to be top 5 in one and middle of the pack in the other I'd take the better pass defense 10 times out of 10. If Schwartz makes both top 5, awesome but it's going to be a task.

I suspect many are in the knee jerk "this was weak so we must get it fixed at all costs" mentality that gets a James hardy because we must get a tall WR to fix the red zone offense. Ultimately, it may work at little cost even, but it can turn south quick and leave you worse off by ignoring the opportunities in front of you and hurting your natural strengths because you are so locked into the weakness.

It'll be interesting to see where the chips fall.

Interesting how the author already has Duke Williams slotted in as the starting SS. Does he know something we don't?

No, no he doesn't....

This year I don't care what anybody sez.... Let's play the game.

I read previews from every team in the league and aside from QB we go toe to toe with just about anybody. Certainly in the a

AFC where Denver is the only team where you say.... They have a lot of talent.... But the wheels could fall off of Denver in a week.

Two of their best players coming pack from major injury. An octogenarian QB....a forty year old WR and missing key players from last year.

They are no sure thing.

I know, I know, QB is the most important position. I also know that a QB is a function of the rest of his team. I like our team.

We fixed all our holes from last year and all four QBs are no longer rookies or first year players in Buffalo and with the coaching staff.

That is huge.

PS - it wouldn't surprise me at all that if Manuel gets beat-up, Teul gets in there and never looks back.

He sees the field and gets rid of the ball..... (Never mind about that int vs. Kc, I'm blaming Stevie now....: ) .... I do want to see that play again. I've heard we run a lot of Coryell (sp) O and that that means the QB throws to a spot, on time....just sayin')

Another note - we gave up 128 yards per game last year on the ground- Detroit the last two years was 99 and 118.

We gave up 4.4 yards per carry - Detroit 4.2 last year and 4.5 the year before....

Passing we have up 204 ypg, Detroit 247 and 223 in 2012

We were 5.8 yards per attempt against us, Detroit 6.9 and 6.6 in 2012

Takeaways we had 1.9 per game and Detroit 1.4 last year, 1.1 per game in 2012

Just tossing around some stats - the site I was using has 2013 and 2012 listed together so I'm including both for Schwartz - no significance otherwise for the extra data point. Hopefully we can play with a lead to fix the run d and keep the pass d aggressive - get after the qb and create turnovers.

Edited by NoSaint

Unless of course it's at the expensive of sacks, turnovers and passing game issues.

If I had to be top 5 in one and middle of the pack in the other I'd take the better pass defense 10 times out of 10. If Schwartz makes both top 5, awesome but it's going to be a task.

I suspect many are in the knee jerk "this was weak so we must get it fixed at all costs" mentality that gets a James hardy because we must get a tall WR to fix the red zone offense. Ultimately, it may work at little cost even, but it can turn south quick and leave you worse off by ignoring the opportunities in front of you and hurting your natural strengths because you are so locked into the weakness.

It'll be interesting to see where the chips fall.

Many folks misunderstand Bills last year. Its fair enough. The against the run stats suck.. It was a high risk defense and alot of fun to watch. But when a play broke down it was painful. Pettine might not have reacted as quickly stymying those breakdowns. But we did get beat at time because of coaching. happens.

So potentially we have a guy who will " pressure the pass and run " but not be so sneaky about the method . But he was # 1 against 3rd down with those dumb old Lions .

I expect a work in progress but i also feel safe in expecting a very strong defense. Because we have a front seven to be reckoned with and a back four + who are very solid and wil create matchup issues.

Let it roll !

Be hard to messup the Bills defense with the talent aboard.

And Jim S. IS A PROFESSIONAL. proven more than once. Major pickup for the Bills and still surprised he came here

Another note - we gave up 128 yards per game last year on the ground- Detroit the last two years was 99 and 118.

We gave up 4.4 yards per carry - Detroit 4.2 last year and 4.5 the year before....

Passing we have up 204 ypg, Detroit 247 and 223 in 2012

We were 5.8 yards per attempt against us, Detroit 6.9 and 6.6 in 2012

Takeaways we had 1.9 per game and Detroit 1.4 last year, 1.1 per game in 2012

Just tossing around some stats - the site I was using has 2013 and 2012 listed together so I'm including both for Schwartz - no significance otherwise for the extra data point. Hopefully we can play with a lead to fix the run d and keep the pass d aggressive - get after the qb and create turnovers.

you and your tossing stats NS !

Many folks misunderstand Bills last year. Its fair enough. The against the run stats suck.. It was a high risk defense and alot of fun to watch. But when a play broke down it was painful. Pettine might not have reacted as quickly stymying those breakdowns. But we did get beat at time because of coaching. happens.

So potentially we have a guy who will " pressure the pass and run " but not be so sneaky about the method . But he was # 1 against 3rd down with those dumb old Lions .

I expect a work in progress but i also feel safe in expecting a very strong defense. Because we have a front seven to be reckoned with and a back four + who are very solid and wil create matchup issues.

Let it roll !

Be hard to messup the Bills defense with the talent aboard.

And Jim S. IS A PROFESSIONAL. proven more than once. Major pickup for the Bills and still surprised he came here

you and your tossing stats NS !

I think we will be a good unit too - don't get me wrong. I just wonder if people will be as gung-ho on spikes stopping the run once they see him chasing reggie bush on a passing play, for instance.

It's easy to say "ill give up sacks for....." in June.

Ultimately I care a lot more about the passing game, not that you can totally neglect either half of the equation. No single path to success though. No saying what JS will scheme up for 2014 yet either.

I think we will be a good unit too - don't get me wrong. I just wonder if people will be as gung-ho on spikes stopping the run once they see him chasing reggie bush on a passing play, for instance.

It's easy to say "ill give up sacks for....." in June.

Ultimately I care a lot more about the passing game, not that you can totally neglect either half of the equation. No single path to success though. No saying what JS will scheme up for 2014 yet either.

Fair enough. But with our corners (yes i said Leodis ) Jim can depend on them. Even in niclkle i bet and now dime with Graham and Robey to play against specific threats . yet to be proven as a Bill but i see no reason at this point to think Buffaloes defense under jim Schwartz will not keep their head above water. I can see them being much better than that with this staff. coaching and players .

also I dont know what he will bring. But i have my suspicions. and i suppose that will have to be good enough for now

: