Former Jills suing the Bills

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought that history would look at NFL Cheerleaders as an embarrassment. They are glorified strippers without a pole. They dance around in skimpy outfits and shake their racks. They may look good, but that's about it. For them to sue the team is like the Hooters staff suing management for making them wear those tiny shorts and low cut tops. Ridiculous.

I've always thought that history would look at NFL Cheerleaders as an embarrassment. They are glorified strippers without a pole. They dance around in skimpy outfits and shake their racks. They may look good, but that's about it. For them to sue the team is like the Hooters staff suing management for making them wear those tiny shorts and low cut tops. Ridiculous.

Not to be rude but you are spot on, they are eye candy. Its no more than a trip to Twin peaks or Hooters. They are there for a major reason....eye candy. They are to push the boobs up, shake their butts etc. And if any woman thinks differently I just don't know what to tell them. And as for as suing the bills for being fondled, what member of the Bills fondled them? The Bills can't control what the general public does.

Id like to read their EEOC claim, I wonder if they got it submitted in time and what the EEOC investigator concluded.

They should be paid for their work; if the allegations in the suit are correct the Jills deserve more compensation.

But some of the glamour tips, etc. are part of the job. You're being paid to sell sex. Nothing more. Of course a guide is going to include stuff that on its surface sounds silly to the rest of us.

Not to be rude but you are spot on, they are eye candy. Its no more than a trip to Twin peaks or Hooters. They are there for a major reason....eye candy. They are to push the boobs up, shake their butts etc. And if any woman thinks differently I just don't know what to tell them.

Are you talking about the Jills, or the myriad of young, inexperienced, mostly blond, nubile anchors, reporters, & sideline hosts employed for sports highlight shows and sporting events by ESPN, Fox, CBS, ABC, et al?

Except that being a cheerleader is not a job. The issue is whether they were employees. I've taken unpaid work before, recently as it were, but I never referred to it as a job, and although I added value and helped others make money, I did not expect a paycheck. And if I went back after the fact and sued for pay for a role that was never a job to begin with, I'd feel like I was !@#$ing over all those who came after me who are going to have a harder time getting that gig because I just showed the "employer" how much of a hassle the role I filled can present.

And whether Bills players get paid to sign autographs has less than nothing to do with it.

When someone does work (legal activity) for money, it's a job. And there are laws in the State of NY in regards to how much those people must be paid. If it's a volunteer gig, why do they get paid at all?

With the amount of money the Bills and the NFL make it is ludicrous IMHO that they pay them the way they do.

As pointed out above, the team or the agency or whoever makes money off of them. Yet doesn't even pay them minimum wage. I understand this is a gig that many more want than will ever be able to get. And it's for doing something fun. But people make big money for doing things fun that most of us do as a hobby. LIke making music, making movies, or playing softball, or programming websites, or whatever. It's irrelevant.

Cheerleaders definitely are sold by the NFL at every opportunity. When I watch a game on TV, cheerleaders are shown going in and out of commercials. When I go to training camp, they're there all primped up signing autographs. When they had the pro bowl draft, they had a bunch of cheerleaders there too.

Just pay them min wage at least or don't have them because you can't afford them.

Edited by reddogblitz

When someone does work (whether you define it as work or not) for money, it's a job. And there are laws in the State of NY in regards to how much those people must be paid. If it's a volunteer gig, why do they get paid at all?

With the amount of money the Bills and the NFL make it is ludicrous IMHO that they pay them the way they do.

As pointed out above, the team or the agency or whoever makes money off of them. Yet doesn't even pay them minimum wage. I understand this is a gig that many more want than will ever be able to get. And it's for doing something fun. But people make big money for doing things fun that most of us do as a hobby. LIke making music, making movies, or playing softball, or programming websites, or whatever. It's irrelevant.

Cheerleaders definitely are sold by the NFL at every opportunity. When I watch a game on TV, cheerleaders are shown going in and out of commercials. When I go to training camp, they're there all primped up signing autographs. When they had the pro bowl draft, they had a bunch of cheerleaders there too.

Just pay them min wage at least or don't have them because you can't afford them.

They weren't doing work for money.

They weren't doing work for money.

What exactly were they doing for the money then?

Just because you are performing an activity that is fun, doesn't mean it's not work and you shouldn't be paid. Mick Jagger makes a ton of money doing what many would love to do or even pay to do. Same could be said for the football players themselves, yet they are paid handsomely.

What exactly were they doing for the money then?

Just because you are performing an activity that is fun, doesn't mean it's not work and you shouldn't be paid. Mick Jagger makes a ton of money doing what many would love to do or even pay to do. Same could be said for the football players themselves, yet they are paid handsomely.

Everything I've seen suggests the only compensation they receive is a free game ticket and parking pass which are incidental perks. If you have info that suggests otherwise I'm open to changing positions.

I'd be interesting if one of these Jills to post/release the contract that they signed to be a Jill. It's interesting we haven't seen one yet since they are claiming they were treated unfair. If the terms of their work was as bad as they say, I think we would have seen it already.

Naturally some lawyer is keeping them from doing this to get everyone to be on their side and the Bills won't release it to keep from looking like a-holes.

Edited by The Wiz

Several teams don't have cheerleaders anymore. I know the Browns don't... there are others.

That's because everyone's ashamed to cheer for the Browns.

I thought the Jills were an independent organization, not run by the Bills?

Everything I've seen suggests the only compensation they receive is a free game ticket and parking pass which are incidental perks. If you have info that suggests otherwise I'm open to changing positions.

Again, there is a WEALTH of information in the lawsuit, which can be found here: http://deadspin.com/suit-bills-cheerleaders-were-taught-how-to-wash-intim-1566239771

From the lawsuit:

Plaintiff Jaclyn S. was paid approximately $806.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season, $ 800.00 for all of her work during the 2011-2012 season, and $1,800.00 for all of her work during the 2010-2011 season. Plaintiff Alyssa U. was paid $420.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season. Plaintiff Maria P. was paid $105.00 for all of her work during the 2012-2013 season.

So, they were indeed paid, just not very much, and not in accordance with NY state law.

Again, there is a WEALTH of information in the lawsuit, which can be found here: http://deadspin.com/...ntim-1566239771

From the lawsuit:

Plaintiff Jaclyn S. was paid approximately $806.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season, $ 800.00 for all of her work during the 2011-2012 season, and $1,800.00 for all of her work during the 2010-2011 season. Plaintiff Alyssa U. was paid $420.00 for all of her work as a Jill during the 2012-2013 football season. Plaintiff Maria P. was paid $105.00 for all of her work during the 2012-2013 season.

So, they were indeed paid, just not very much, and not in accordance with NY state law.

Shame on the Bills if they didn't have them sign a contract stipulating what was expected and classifying them as "voulunteers". With that said BBQ me, they knew damn well what they signed up for and if the "pay" was that bad quit.

Well, as soon as an NFL team accepts male cheerleaders, I'd be more than happy to show up in short shorts and a tank top for 100 bucks a game and a sideline seat to the game. How come there are no lawsuits of male cheerleaders not making the team? Maybe we should sue the NFL for being sexist against male cheerleaders.

They made their bed when they signed up.

And for the record, I'm a straight male with a wife and two daughters.

Edited by The Wiz

Well, as soon as an NFL team accepts male cheerleaders, I'd be more than happy to show up in short shorts and a tank top for 100 bucks a game and a sideline seat to the game. How come there are no lawsuits of male cheerleaders not making the team? Maybe we should sue the NFL for being sexist against male cheerleaders.

They made their bed when they signed up.

And for the record, I'm a straight male with a wife and two daughters.

The Ravens have male cheerleaders.

The Ravens have male cheerleaders.

1 out of 32 is a great percentage.

.03 if you didn't crunch the numbers. And they are considered "stunt-men". Not cheerleaders so I'm sure they are on a different contract.

At this rate we know what is going to happen, the lawyers will be paid about 1/3 of the damages and the cheerleaders will receive a check for 100 bucks since it will be retroactive/proactive to all of the Bills cheerleaders.

If they were going to recoup any damages, they should have done it while they were still Jills. Not after the fact when they are looking to cash in.

Edited by The Wiz