Unstoppable CJ

I heard this quote last year. Many times actually.

Over 900 yards, 4.6 ypc during a year where he was limited a large part of it and even missed a game (should have missed 4 or 5 to heal) with a high ankle sprain is not any good? Not to mention 5 different QB's, injuries to all of the top 5 receiving targets (top 4 WR's and top TE)...you don't think THOSE FACTS had anything to do with his final stats...yet he still put up 900 yards and 4.6 YPC and single handedly kept us in some big games, like the Cincy game where he busted a long TD run on one leg that helped send that game to OT.

I would say, he did pretty damn good under the circumstances. And none of above even takes into consideration the fact that it took Hackett half a season too figure out you can't pound him up the middle play after play.

Seriously, its like it was Christmas for you and you got your wish that he didn't put up 1200 yards...but given the circumstances, his year was still impressive.

But if you relied on facts, then you wouldn't have anything to talk about in regards to Spiller

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get CJ the ball as many times as possible in the open field, for screens, on kick returns, etc.....Give the rock to FJ for dirty yards. IMO, its not difficult to understand this, but Marrone and Co. know more than me.

i think I've got to remove you from my block list now.

i understand your point. It's noted. But seriously, the "bum ankle" think is just getting old.

That's my point about being injury prone. Regardless of how many games he has missed. It seems were making this excuse for him every year. Excuses in general every year. This time it's the new coordinator and the bum ankle, when chan was here he gets winded. And of course there's been plenty of injury excuses along the way as well.

So when are we going to stop making excuses for the kid? If he has another down year all were going to hear about is how EJ sucked and it effected him. Or how he had to split carries with Brown. Or how the team passed more. I'm willing to bet by the end of the season well be making some new excuse for him. But that's just me and my opinion.

Excuses for him every year? What are you talking about? He was phenomenal in 2012. and in 2011 he filled in for Jackson in the last 6 games with 446 and 3 tds.

In 2013 he sprains his ankle still puts up nearly 1,000 yard season, and you are complaining?

It sounds like you are the one making excuses why we shouldn't like him.

Im not even going to respond to the problem with a RB having a high ankle sprain. I guess he was just making it up.

Edited by What a Tuel

Excuses for him every year? What are you talking about? He was phenomenal in 2012. and in 2011 he filled in for Jackson in the last 6 games with 446 and 3 tds.

In 2013 he sprains his ankle still puts up nearly 1,000 yard season, and you are complaining?

It sounds like you are the one making excuses why we shouldn't like him.

Im not even going to respond to the problem with a RB having a high ankle sprain. I guess he was just making it up.

Hes had 1 good season. That's all. 2012. Finished. Done. No more argument. The other years were not good. Regardless how much, or little he played.

They are excuses. The guy is a top 10 pick and expected to be the best player on the team. Was expected to be from the day he was drafted. However for years he couldn't unseat and aging and injured Freddy. Then he did and had a good year. Then all the sudden back to excuses again. If he's as good as everyone makes him out to be you wouldn't be hearing this debate. It would just be a one sides argument. I know, I know, all the people that think CJ is overrated are stupid. Yadayadayada. The facts are he's backed up by the "CJ lovers" everywhere as one of the best weapons in the league. Yet he has only had 1 good season. Has been outperformed by an aging player that couldn't touch his abilities. And when he's not, were constantly hearing arguments that he is in the wrong system, the coach needs to get him in space, he gets winded, or his ankle has a boo-boo. How about this, if he's that good he just is and we wouldn't be hearing any of this crap.

Over 900 yards, 4.6 ypc during a year where he was limited a large part of it and even missed a game (should have missed 4 or 5 to heal) with a high ankle sprain is not any good? Not to mention 5 different QB's, injuries to all of the top 5 receiving targets (top 4 WR's and top TE)...you don't think THOSE FACTS had anything to do with his final stats...yet he still put up 900 yards and 4.6 YPC and single handedly kept us in some big games, like the Cincy game where he busted a long TD run on one leg that helped send that game to OT.

I would say, he did pretty damn good under the circumstances. And none of above even takes into consideration the fact that it took Hackett half a season too figure out you can't pound him up the middle play after play.

Seriously, its like it was Christmas for you and you got your wish that he didn't put up 1200 yards...but given the circumstances, his year was still impressive.

But if you relied on facts, then you wouldn't have anything to talk about in regards to Spiller

I never said it "wasn't any good." It sure as hell wasn't the 1200 yards you said it would be. Remember those threads? "CJ is gonna shut you up and have a huge year." You were wrong. You should own it.

How did the play calls with CJ change halfway through the year? Can you elaborate? Or do you just assume they changed the plays? When was CJ free of injuries?

Halfway through the year was what? Week 9? Let's look at those games.

Game #9 Pittsburgh. 8 att for 23 yards.

Game #10 New York. 13 att for 6 yards.

Thank god Hackett called the right plays then. Now I know what you're gonna say, "He was struggling with his injury." Except, he wasn't.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/11/injury-wasnt-reason-for-c-j-spillers-limited-workload/

That article came out the day after the Pitt game.

Coach Doug Marrone said Monday that injury had nothing to do with the split of playing time, however.

“Game plan. How we’re putting those guys in there,” Marrone said, via the Buffalo News. “Doesn’t have anything to do with his ankle.”

Marrone said that Spiller’s role could increase or decrease from week to week depending on what the team plans to do that week. That’s a big difference from last week when Marrone said he was excited to be able to use Spiller more often and may mean that concerns about the ankle still linger because it’s hard to imagine the Bills having so little use for a healthy Spiller.

Marrone was excited to have a healthy Spiller. Then he wasn't so much anymore. This writer doesn't know why, but I do. It's because the only thing consistent about CJ is his inconsistency.

I'll show you some more of injury free Spiller.

Game #11 Atlanta. 15 attempts 149 yards. A good game. Probably his best.

Game #12 Tampa. 11 att for 22 yards. Yikes. Stringing two good ones together doesn't seem possible.

Game #13 Jax. 13 att for 67 yards. Pretty solid. Maybe he should stick to getting 15 or less carries

Game #14 Miami. 21 att for 83 yards. Solid again. Not Barry Sanders, but solid.

Game #15 New England. 19 att for 105. There we go. Broke 100 yards for the first time in 4 weeks with "Hackett figuring out the plays" and healthy.

Week 9 was Kansas City. 12 for 116.http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/playergamelog?playerId=13203

True. I thought I said Game #9 because CJ missed one earlier. Still, he was hurt that week and playing with Tuel under center. Looks like we can toss those excuses aside.

He played well against KC. He's still inconsistent.

Edited by FireChan

Put me in the pro CJ Spiller camp. Is he the most complete back in the NFL? No. A few are better. Is he one of the top 10 most dynamic playmakers in the league? Yes. Coaches gotta find better ways to use that talent. You can count the number of screens they threw to him on on one hand. How many of those did he bust for 40+ yards the year before?

I understand that marrone and hackett have a very distinct system and philosophy but you have to taylor more special touches for a player like that.

Hes had 1 good season. That's all. 2012. Finished. Done. No more argument. The other years were not good. Regardless how much, or little he played.

Wrong. Finished. Done. No more argument.

That is flat out your opinion. The rest is just a nonsensical rant that says an injury is just an excuse. It's absurd.

When CJ is gone, I wonder who you will chase out next?

I know that Gilmore guy is pretty injury prone. :rolleyes:

He did actually have a high ankle sprain last year and gutted it out, playing several games even when he was clearly in pain. I was proud of him for doing what he needed to do for the team, and credit much of that attitude to Fred Jackson's leadership honestly.

I think I hold a middle-of-the-road position: CJ is a great RB when used as a specialized weapon. He's not refined enough to be an every situation "bell cow" for the offense to follow, but is still very valuable. I am more critical of the coaches than of CJ himself. CJ is a boxing "hay maker," which isn't the main tool you use to win a match, but has it's place.

Damn man . Thats another fine post.

The insight of Freds Influence is none too shabby . Not a fact but i can perceive it to be true enough.

Some of you folks love to dangle the stats. Thats cool because you have a level playing field to dissect .

I thought CJ sucked last year. I had no idea he had the overall yards he did. Mostly i see him watching his guard get blown up and impovising. He did not rubn the play as designed. That how i recall it. So no need to argue it .

But i expect he has a shtton more to offer . Hackett and injury .

This is another player that could very well be great fun to watch this year , if Nathaniel and Doug admit and accept what our little waterbug is.

Anybody go to eastview mall here in Rochester and get an autograph !

I had a dentist appt , seriously needed. Man i was bummed.i could not get over there. Ten minutes from my house too :wallbash::censored::death::sick:

Anybody go to eastview mall here in Rochester and get an autograph !

I had a dentist appt , seriously needed. Man i was bummed.i could not get over there. Ten minutes from my house too :wallbash::censored::death::sick:

I wish I would've known. My brother lives out there, and I believe he has a Spiller jersey.

Wrong. Finished. Done. No more argument.

That is flat out your opinion. The rest is just a nonsensical rant that says an injury is just an excuse. It's absurd.

When CJ is gone, I wonder who you will chase out next?

I know that Gilmore guy is pretty injury prone. :rolleyes:

you say that like I chase people out all the time. Want the list of guys I've wanted gone in recent memory?

Evans

Kelsey

Schobel

K. Williams

F Jackson

Evans I was right about years ago. Never played a down again. Nobody believed me there. I'll tip a cold beer to myself there as the ones that argued with me never gave me my due.

Kelsey was always overpaid and no where near as good as many hoped he could be.

Schobel was decent for a period of time but in the end he was the best player for a miserable team. In a good team he barely cracks the top 2 DEs. Oh, and I was right about him being an injury monster too.

K. Williams. Nothing special IMO. I don't care what people say about the pro bowl voting. He's not a good DT. Our ten defenses have been the worst in history almost every year he's been on the team manning that line. Yet every year we make excuses and he's the only constant.

F. Jackson. I was right about him originally when people said it was crazy to call an Undrafted player a starter. Then he got old and injury riddled. Much like CJ he hasn't finished a season in the last 4 without getting injured. Because of that I said we should cut bait and walk away. Boy was I wrong. This guy just defies all logic. I want him here until he's in a wheelchair.

My opinions of CJ are opinions. That's true. But the facts are also there that he's been injired or beaten up every single season of his career to the point that we talk aboutbit being an issue. The facts are that he's only had one good season of over 1,000 yards. The facts are he's never had 10 TDs. The facts are he was a highly touted draft pick that was expected to be the lights out best player on the team and he's not. Say whatever yiu want. I'm done arguing with you about it. Well just let his last season in a Bills uniform be the judge of that. My money is on having another disappointing season of less than 1,000 yards and probably more discussions of him being injured and playing with injury and fans like yiu making more excuses for him. Have fun. See yiu in January.

you say that like I chase people out all the time. Want the list of guys I've wanted gone in recent memory?

Evans

Kelsey

Schobel

K. Williams

F Jackson

Evans I was right about years ago. Never played a down again. Nobody believed me there. I'll tip a cold beer to myself there as the ones that argued with me never gave me my due.

Kelsey was always overpaid and no where near as good as many hoped he could be.

Schobel was decent for a period of time but in the end he was the best player for a miserable team. In a good team he barely cracks the top 2 DEs. Oh, and I was right about him being an injury monster too.

K. Williams. Nothing special IMO. I don't care what people say about the pro bowl voting. He's not a good DT. Our ten defenses have been the worst in history almost every year he's been on the team manning that line. Yet every year we make excuses and he's the only constant.

F. Jackson. I was right about him originally when people said it was crazy to call an Undrafted player a starter. Then he got old and injury riddled. Much like CJ he hasn't finished a season in the last 4 without getting injured. Because of that I said we should cut bait and walk away. Boy was I wrong. This guy just defies all logic. I want him here until he's in a wheelchair.

My opinions of CJ are opinions. That's true. But the facts are also there that he's been injired or beaten up every single season of his career to the point that we talk aboutbit being an issue. The facts are that he's only had one good season of over 1,000 yards. The facts are he's never had 10 TDs. The facts are he was a highly touted draft pick that was expected to be the lights out best player on the team and he's not. Say whatever yiu want. I'm done arguing with you about it. Well just let his last season in a Bills uniform be the judge of that. My money is on having another disappointing season of less than 1,000 yards and probably more discussions of him being injured and playing with injury and fans like yiu making more excuses for him. Have fun. See yiu in January.

I'd say Jackson and Spiller being hurt is more of a product of the position. I don't have the numbers but how many backs stay healthy for 16? Now some fans think Jackson is a warrior with being hurt and missing more time and Spiller is injury prone for missing less time. That I don't get. To me as posted it has to do with draft position. Taking any RB in the top 45 right now is a waste of a pick IMO. Spiller being taken 9th at around the same time the trend started to hit adds to this. Say Spiller and Jackson play 12-14 games and put up above 2k rushing and Brown starts a game and has 120 then it'll be obvious to some Brown should be the guy. Taking Spiller 9th with Lynch and Jackson on the roster will be something that will never be forgiven. Unless he has a 2k year rushing.

They are excuses. The guy is a top 10 pick and expected to be the best player on the team. Was expected to be from the day he was drafted. However for years he couldn't unseat and aging and injured Freddy. Then he did and had a good year. Then all the sudden back to excuses again. If he's as good as everyone makes him out to be you wouldn't be hearing this debate. It would just be a one sides argument. I know, I know, all the people that think CJ is overrated are stupid. Yadayadayada. The facts are he's backed up by the "CJ lovers" everywhere as one of the best weapons in the league. Yet he has only had 1 good season. Has been outperformed by an aging player that couldn't touch his abilities. And when he's not, were constantly hearing arguments that he is in the wrong system, the coach needs to get him in space, he gets winded, or his ankle has a boo-boo. How about this, if he's that good he just is and we wouldn't be hearing any of this crap.

That's your opinion and I can respect it. However the majority of Bills fans, actual players and fans of other teams would offer a differing opinion.

If he hits free agency and the Bills let him go, he will have plenty of options. Playmakers are always in demand.

That's your opinion and I can respect it. However the majority of Bills fans, actual players and fans of other teams would offer a differing opinion.

If he hits free agency and the Bills let him go, he will have plenty of options. Playmakers are always in demand.

"Majority of Bills fans, actual players, and fans of other teams" is not only an opinion just like mine, it is completely 100% unprovable unless you know what players of teams think and what all the fans in the league think.

Opinions are like @$$holes. Everyone has one. And they are all BS. The only thing that's not BS is the fact that CJ HAS NEVER FINISHED A SEASON WITHOUT GETTING SOME SORT OF INJURY TO THE POINT WHWRE IT EFFECTS HIS GAME, and CJ STATISTICALLY ONLY HAS 1 GOOD SEASON OUT OF 4.

Those are the facts of the argument and they are indisputable.

On the 1st point we have differing opinions, I still feel comfortable with mine.

On the 2nd point, I'm not even sure what it is your arguing. You seem to be beating the man down. But when pushed you imply he's good but not great. Feels like a contradiction to me.

Hey mom I got a D on a test, but I'm no dummy cause I passed.

On the 1st point we have differing opinions, I still feel comfortable with mine.

On the 2nd point, I'm not even sure what it is your arguing. You seem to be beating the man down. But when pushed you imply he's good but not great. Feels like a contradiction to me.

Hey mom I got a D on a test, but I'm no dummy cause I passed.

ive said he's inconsistent at best so at times he's good and at times he's horrible. At the same time you can't rely on him to be on the field and 100% healthy because he's almost never been that.

Im still hoping he breaks out. As I've said multiple times. If he does well, we will be in the playoffs. I just don't have a lot of hope for it.

je constantly showed last year that while giving him the ball he wasn't successful. Which in turn led to taking away his opportunities. Can't blame them. He sucked last year.

This may be the most rediculous statement I've read on this board in 5 years. Just because you have a man crush on Fred-Ex, doesn't mean Spiller sucks.

Put me in the pro CJ Spiller camp. Is he the most complete back in the NFL? No. A few are better. Is he one of the top 10 most dynamic playmakers in the league? Yes. Coaches gotta find better ways to use that talent. You can count the number of screens they threw to him on on one hand. How many of those did he bust for 40+ yards the year before?

I understand that marrone and hackett have a very distinct system and philosophy but you have to taylor more special touches for a player like that.

He had one catch of more than 40 yards in 2013. I'm not sure if it was a screen, so, the maximum # is one, the minimum is zero.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/play_finder.cgi?request=1&match=summary_all&year_min=2012&year_max=2012&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=R&playoff_round=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&quarter=1&quarter=2&quarter=3&quarter=4&quarter=5&tr_gtlt=lt&minutes=15&seconds=00&down=0&down=1&down=2&down=3&down=4&ytg_gtlt=gt&yds_to_go=&yg_gtlt=gt&yards=&is_first_down=-1&fp_gtlt=gt&fp_tm_opp=team&fp_ydline=&type=PASS&type=RUSH&is_turnover=-1&is_scoring=-1&no_play=0&game_day_of_week=&game_location=&game_result=&margin_min=&margin_max=&order_by=yards&pass_target_id=SpilC.00

I wish I could have bet money on Bill showing up in a thread about Spiller and putting him down. :)http://espn.go.com/n...adrian-peterson Peterson in his opener against the Lions: 18 carries for 93 yards and a 78 yard long run. If you take away his 78 yard run (stupid), he had 17 carries for 15 yards. 26 carries for 100 yards and a long of 36. Take away his long run (so stupid), he had 25 carries for 64 yards. But Spiller is the only rb who gets negative or short yardage runs.

Bill, with all due respect, this is why bothers about you as a poster. If you don't like a guy, you constantly find away to complain about them. It gets old. Spiller will never win in your eyes. He played through a high ankle sprain and it clearly limited him. So you use it to knock him. But if he sits out with the injury and doesn't play until he's healthy, he's a kitty cat.

I hated the SJ trade but I won't be posting every time he has a good game or Mike Williams drops a pass. I want the Bills to succeed. Yeah, the Bills would be in much better shape with that stud Bryan Bulaga instead of Spiller. You cry about losing Levitre, who hasn't made a pro bowl and helped Chris Johnson post some of the worst numbers of his career. Yet, Spiller with one pro bowl (will sharing time with a really good rb) and a career rushing average that places him 6th ALL TIME is a scrub. This is insane to me.

In today's NFL, you probably shouldn't draft a rb high. But Spiller is a damn good back, who should be an all round weapon. Let's hope the OC from Cuse figures out how to use him to his strengths. But I wonder how many team boards would complain about Spiller?

I fail to understand why you take my "thoughts" and opinions to a personal level. I for one enjoy the dialogue.

Spiller doesn't "suck." I hope this is clear. Is he the type of player to build a team around? Of course not. He, as I recall, wasn't even an every down back in college.

And yes, he did play hurt, but so does virtually every player in every game.

Btw, have you noticed how many posters do not agree with the pedestal upon which you placed Spiller? It isn't about ME; before this I had but 1 post in this thread which I did NOT start.

I hope that Spiller can win us some games in 2014. We shall see.