Fitzpatrick named Texans Starting QB

No wonder Andre Johnson is holding out. :lol:

@ProFootballTalk

Ken Whisenhunt dumped him, Bill O'Brien embraces him; Ryan Fitzpatrick is named the starter in Houston http://wp.me/p14QSB-9veZ

:lol:

@TomPelissero

AFC South starting quarterbacks in 2014 will include Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chad Henne and (probably) Jake Locker. Cover your children's eyes.

Poor Texans, I'd love Fitz to succeed but know he wont :(

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, Texans path seems very clear to me and Andre Johnson too: sacrifice this season, give Clowney a year to develop, get your franchise QB in next year's draft .... both Mariota and Winston easily project higher than any QB in this year's draft. It's a good 2 to 3 year plan. Only question,what happens to Johnson this year? What's his trade value anyone?

"New coach Bill O'Brien named Ryan Fitzpatrick the starter, an announcement overshadowed somewhat by Johnson's absence Tuesday on the first day of a mandatory three-day mini-camp."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/andre-johnson-no-show-texans-175526280--nfl.html

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Honestly, I didn't have time to page through this entire thread but I did read all the dopey responses on the first page and I can't be the first one to say this- who the hell are Bills fans to laugh at the Houston Texans? The way I see it, we are pretty similar teams heading into this season- above average rosters on both sides of the ball save for the QB position. If Fitzpatrick plays 16 games and Andre Johnson reports, they're gonna be good for 7 wins. And are people- with their mocking emoticons- really that confident that EJ Manuel is going to be any better than Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2014? I'm certainly not.

Shame on me, then. I hated him as our starting QB. He may have been a class act, but wins speak louder to me and frankly, he didn't produce.

I am sympathetic for sure .

But he's not playing another game for us so i must wish him well

Ok all kidding aside, he seems to be a nice guy, good family man, but has just been over his head. If he just stayed in that back up role, playing no more than a couple games a year, he would have been fine, and could play for 15 years. Putting him in the starting role again is tough.

Exactly, he is what he is. His ceiling is an excellent backup QB. No shame in being that, few in the world can qualify as being an excellent backup QB, there is a role and a need for them. Some QBs are just not starting QB material. It is team management that does not use him the way his talents dictate

Whole lot of dumb in this thread:

1) Fitz was a decent starting QB for us, our best since Bledsoe. He had physical limitations but he was a warrior and made the most of his God given talent? How many people can say the same? Why people still hold a grudge against him is insane. Good luck to him.

2) Comparing a rookie who missed 2 weeks of his first training camp and a month of his first season to a vet like Fitz is pointless.

3) It's June 17th. This means very little. Coaches change their minds and lie all the time.

Mclockdown and the human cushion will picks-Patrick all day.

That bum ain't beating us...he already stole way too much cash.

I like you Ryan but the hard on of hate you have Fitz is over the top. There's no way he's throwing for 300 yards and 4 tds agaisnt us but the man earned every cent and has had monster games (Pats a couple of times, Raiders). Let's not pretend like he was getting Joe Flacco money. He was making avareage starting QB money and he was an average starting QB.

I want EJ to be better than Fitz and he has way more tools. But Fitz, unlike a ton of guys, maximized his tools. Let's hope EJ can because if he does, his upside is way higher. But Fitz earned his money.

I like you Ryan but the hard on of hate you have Fitz is over the top. There's no way he's throwing for 300 yards and 4 tds agaisnt us but the man earned every cent and has had monster games (Pats a couple of times, Raiders). Let's not pretend like he was getting Joe Flacco money. He was making avareage starting QB money and he was an average starting QB.

I want EJ to be better than Fitz and he has way more tools. But Fitz, unlike a ton of guys, maximized his tools. Let's hope EJ can because if he does, his upside is way higher. But Fitz earned his money.

really, he was making below average money. wasnt he like the 19th highest contract even at his peak? and most rankings had him right around that number.

really, he was making below average money. wasnt he like the 19th highest contract even at his peak? and most rankings had him right around that number.

Yeah probably and 19th is probably where he ranked in the league. A 7th rounder from Harvard had a better NFL career than majority of 1st rounders from powerhouse programs. Fitz isn't a Hall of Famer but dude has won at the game of life.

Personally he gave me a feeling of helplessness as he doesn't have the full deck needed to win games on any consistent basis.

I'm a fan of moving along once these fatal flaws were exposed. "On to the next one"

Just not a fitz guy, a qb should have an arm.

Personally he gave me a feeling of helplessness as he doesn't have the full deck needed to win games on any consistent basis.

I'm a fan of moving along once these fatal flaws were exposed. "On to the next one"

Just not a fitz guy, a qb should have an arm.

Not only that, but for a supposed smart guy, he made quite a few dumb throws into the teeth of coverage that many times left me with a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look on my face.

Fitz was just an average quarterback for Buffalo and will be just an average quarterback for Houston. Can Houston win some games? Sure. If their defense remains healthy and they sport out a healthy dose of a revived Arian Foster, they can win some games. They get the benefit of playing the Jags and Titans twice each, who are in even worse shape. Fitz is never going to be a top-10 talent in the NFL. He simply is what he's shown us he is pretty much every year. The comparisons to EJ are pretty stupid. There's just not enough data on a guy who was injured for much of last season and hasn't played many games. With EJ, there's a chance that he gets it and improves.

Not only that, but for a supposed smart guy, he made quite a few dumb throws into the teeth of coverage that many times left me with a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot look on my face.

i often felt like those were prevalent when it got to be the point in the game where he had to take a shot, even if it wasnt a great one. if compared the first 2 minutes of the game, to the last 2 minutes, id guess when forced to make a throw instead of living to fight another drive is when i saw those "really?!?!" type of throws. which makes sense with his skill set.