Fitzpatrick named Texans Starting QB

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these are funny. "Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to throw a party tonight after being named starting QB for the Texans, but the invitations were intercepted"

The picture of RF in that article is interesting. His arms look significantly more like an NFL QB and less like the guy eating beer n brats next door. If he took the gig seriously enough to keep working with a QB coach and working out more intensely, would he improve? I think what we saw is what the Texans get, but I wish him the best.

"Hopeful" where are you?

Right here, not sure what's your point? I didn't think the Texans planned to move into the season with Fitz as their starter, and I was wrong? I have no problem admitting that.

Or am I supposed to be one of those mythical beings you invoke who thought Fitz was "good enough" to be our starter and we should have built around him, because you quoted me saying I think Fitz (or TJax) would have made a better backup/transition QB for us than "German Word for Made of Glass" Kolb?

They must like the qb class of '15 Looks like a tank season for Houston.

They need to take lessons in how to tank from the Colts, then.

His win percentage is pretty close in line with matt stafford or Sam Bradford even - guys you wouldn't pick to lead your team but wouldn't be your last pick in the nfl either.

Oh, c'mon. Matt Stafford was the #1 overall pick in the 2009 draft and expected to be The Man for Detroit. Sam Bradford was the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft and expected to be The Man for St Louis. How can you possibly compare these talented top QB to Pickspatrick?

Some of these are funny. "Ryan Fitzpatrick was going to throw a party tonight after being named starting QB for the Texans, but the invitations were intercepted"

The picture of RF in that article is interesting. His arms look significantly more like an NFL QB and less like the guy eating beer n brats next door. If he took the gig seriously enough to keep working with a QB coach and working out more intensely, would he improve? I think what we saw is what the Texans get, but I wish him the best.

Right here, not sure what's your point? I didn't think the Texans planned to move into the season with Fitz as their starter, and I was wrong? I have no problem admitting that.

"2) I don't recall anyone whining about the Bills getting rid of Fitz because he was "good enough" to build around as a starter. After 3 years, he had his chance and regressed rather than impressed. Some of us thought it was not the best move to dump Fitz as a backup/mentor in favor of Kolb and TJax. I still think that, actually, just as I think it was dumb to dump tough as nails TJax in favor of "German Word for Made Of Glass" Kolb. I think they wanted to keep Fitz, but tried to low ball him too hard on the contract renegotiation offer with nothing guaranteed and they wound up paying more for less in the backup situation as a result (plus taking the cap hit)

But that's just me."

Not just that he has been named the starter. But that you pulled out the snark, and acted like it was clueless to think there were people that still thought Fitz was "good enough". Obviously, there are some that still feel Fitz is "good enough".

Edited by HoF Watkins

(quotes me)

"2) I don't recall anyone whining about the Bills getting rid of Fitz because he was "good enough" to build around as a starter. After 3 years, he had his chance and regressed rather than impressed. Some of us thought it was not the best move to dump Fitz as a backup/mentor in favor of Kolb and TJax. I still think that, actually, just as I think it was dumb to dump tough as nails TJax in favor of "German Word for Made Of Glass" Kolb. I think they wanted to keep Fitz, but tried to low ball him too hard on the contract renegotiation offer with nothing guaranteed and they wound up paying more for less in the backup situation as a result (plus taking the cap hit) But that's just me." (ends quote of me)

Not just that he has been named the starter. But that you pulled out the snark, and acted like it was clueless to think there were people that still thought Fitz was "good enough". Obviously, there are some that still feel Fitz is "good enough".

I don't see anyone here who thinks that Fitz is "good enough" to be the Bills QB of the future. If your point in quoting me repeatedly is to claim that's what I think, what you quote is clearly referring to the Bills keeping Fitz as a backup (or TJax as a backup) rather than going with Kolb. That would be why the word "backup" was used twice in 3 sentences?

He's not the worst starting QB in the league - not by a long shot - and I do see some making that point. But he's not one of the top 10 or 15 QB in the league - he had his shot at going there with the Bills, and he muffed it - and not likely to be taking a team to a Championship. I don't know of anyone here who is "whining about the Bills getting rid of Fitz because he was "good enough" to build around as a starter after the 2012 season, or still.

But hey, if you want to set up a straw man and whack it, be my guest.

Edited by Hopeful

They will probably be 7-9, Fitz is mediocre but you could do a lot worse (Although it would be better to give the playing time to a rookie who could develop). The Texans defense with Clowney and Watt will be good and they have a good running game. Not surprising that they named Fitz the starter after they didn't draft a QB early, basically the only guy on the roster with significant starting experience.

They will probably be 7-9, Fitz is mediocre but you could do a lot worse (Although it would be better to give the playing time to a rookie who could develop). The Texans defense with Clowney and Watt will be good and they have a good running game. Not surprising that they named Fitz the starter after they didn't draft a QB early, basically the only guy on the roster with significant starting experience.

I was surprised they didn't draft a QB early. Of the guys on their roster, Fitz may be their best chance to stay in games. And yeah, with a good D and a strong running game, they should be between 6-10 and 8-8, maybe as high as 9-7. If they wanted to tank the season, they should start someone else.

Well he will give them entertaining football until Houston finds the magical guy. Don't expect to see a deep ball anytime soon though.

The right way to go about a mini rebuild and remain competent.

I was over checking out a couple of Texans fan boards.

:bag: seems to be the general reaction with some readily predictable kvetching about O'Brien pulling the trigger too early, but very little "worst QB in the league" or other nonsense.

I don't see anyone here who thinks that Fitz is "good enough" to be the Bills QB of the future. If your point in quoting me repeatedly is to claim that's what I think, what you quote is clearly referring to the Bills keeping Fitz as a backup (or TJax as a backup) rather than going with Kolb. That would be why the word "backup" was used twice in 3 sentences?

He's not the worst starting QB in the league - not by a long shot - and I do see some making that point. But he's not one of the top 10 or 15 QB in the league - he had his shot at going there with the Bills, and he muffed it - and not likely to be taking a team to a Championship. I don't know of anyone here who is "whining about the Bills getting rid of Fitz because he was "good enough" to build around as a starter after the 2012 season, or still.

But hey, if you want to set up a straw man and whack it, be my guest.

I can't find where I insinuate that you wanted to keep Fitz as a starter.

I can find people in this very thread who seem to feel Fitz is "good enough" (FireChan, and ALF seem to feel that way). Others too, though not necessarily in this thread, but my initial comments referred to the whining since he was let go.

So which one of us is playing "Straw Man" games?

Edited by HoF Watkins

Well if firechan and alf billieve in fitz then get Houston on the phone.

Forget about the play on the field, the 27-49 record as a starter, and the way he mysteriously turned to crap after getting paid.

He's not good enough period. Let's move on and let the texans fans fight over this guy.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Fitz is a good back up QB who doesn't get hurt easy. He'll be ok till Houston finds someone better. A healthy Foster will get a lot of runs and short passes

They must see a good prospect in the 2015 draft or a vet FA QB next year.

Fitz is a good back up QB who doesn't get hurt easy. He'll be ok till Houston finds someone better. A healthy Foster will get a lot of runs and short passes

They must see a good prospect in the 2015 draft or a vet FA QB next year.

When they grabbed Fitz, that's what I thought but applied to this year :).

I can't find where I insinuate that you wanted to keep Fitz as a starter.

I can find people in this very thread who seem to feel Fitz is "good enough" (FireChan, and ALF seem to feel that way). Others too, though not necessarily in this thread, but my initial comments referred to the whining since he was let go.

So which one of us is playing "Straw Man" games?

Marauder'sMicro, your original contention had to do with "all those people" who whined about the Bills letting him go because they thought Fitz was good enough and the Bills should have built around him (implied: to return to contender status). The only people I can find who whine about the Bills letting him go, including Alf and FireChan, seem to feel that Fitz was a more competent, capable backup/mentor than Kolb, Lewis, Tuel, and Dixon and/or that Fitz is far from the league-worst "tank the season, draft first overall" guy some here would portray. I agree on both those points.

You can feel free to find and link to or quote specific posts that support your contention. I've gone back and read everything Alf and FireChan posted in this thread, and I don't see anything that can reasonably be construed as thinking anything other than Fitz is a competent NFL QB, far from the worst, but not a top 10-15 QB in the league either and not likely to take a team to a championship or SB.

Otherwise, I've spent all the time I intend to on this.

Well if firechan and alf billieve in fitz then get Houston on the phone.

Forget about the play on the field, the 27-49 record as a starter, and the way he mysteriously turned to crap after getting paid.

He's not good enough period. Let's move on and let the texans fans fight over this guy.

I hope you are not depending upon him to come fix your septic system.

Edited by Hopeful

Texans are trying to be the 99 Baltimore Ravens. have a dominating D a good running game and a game manager for QB.

The problems are-

Fitz can not manage a game.

The league has changed a lot in 15 years.

What is worse is that due to them having a good D they will win some games and Fitz will play good for a few, so they will keep winning just enough to miss out on drafting a stud QB.