2014 Bills Mandatory Minicamp (June 17th - June 19th)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, I am not basing my assessment on this practice or even on this offseason. It is on the entire body of work as I have viewed it since his FSU days. I am by no means a hater but I am not going to be unrealistic either. At this point I think that the Bills have about the 26th best QB situation in the NFL (ahead of Houston, Tennessee, Jets, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa). I think that the rest of the team is really talented and he does have a chance to improve.

I think most of us understand where you're coming from.

I'm a bit more optimistic than you seem to be re EJ; that doesn't mean I'm not concerned.

I think he'll improve, and I do believe he has the goods to be an NFL starting QB.

To say I'm very confident he will would be an overstatement for sure. Like you though, I'll continue to reserve judgement until we've got a good sample size from the upcoming season.

Do you give the defense any credit? They are pretty darn good, you know. Something to consider before rushing to overreact to what is only the 10th practice of the season and the first with the whole defense back and playing.

He might have gained better composure regardless of going up against a top ranked defense and coordinaotor in Buffalo. This being the First practice with the heavy hitters ?

yep i would pee a little in my jock too.

Edited by 3rdand12

Just to be clear, I am not basing my assessment on this practice or even on this offseason. It is on the entire body of work as I have viewed it since his FSU days. I am by no means a hater but I am not going to be unrealistic either. At this point I think that the Bills have about the 26th best QB situation in the NFL (ahead of Houston, Tennessee, Jets, Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa). I think that the rest of the team is really talented and he does have a chance to improve.

I hear you. I just think it's way too soon to judge him as an NFL QB. He showed flashes last year and he stumbled, in short he was a typical rookie QB who missed 6 games and half of training camp due to injury. I know we live in a win-now world but QBs take time to develop. There are exceptions, and there have been a couple recent ones, but even though they're recent exceptions they are still exceptions to the rule.

I hear you. I just think it's way too soon to judge him as an NFL QB. He showed flashes last year and he stumbled, in short he was a typical rookie QB who missed 6 games and half of training camp due to injury. I know we live in a win-now world but QBs take time to develop. There are exceptions, and there have been a couple recent ones, but even though they're recent exceptions they are still exceptions to the rule.

I don't disagree at all. I am not writing him off. I think that he is about 1 out of 3 to be the guy. His flaws are what concern me. I think that learning the reads and the "game slowing down" are all things that happen for a young QB. I believe that it will happen for him as well. I am more concerned with the accuracy issues. That is something that is tough to overcome. This year will be telling and I expect him to make strides. If he can be about the 20th - 23rd best QB this season this team will be tough.

I counted 6/11 with 2 fumbles and an INT. That's a rough day especially when you are not hitting. I am hesitant to buy in on EJ. I don't hate him but I don't blindly support him either. I think that there is about a 35% chance that he is the franchise guy. I hope that he is.

Careful, I received much ridicule for tossing a # very close to that out on the board a few months back.

I honestly don't remember seeing the backlash that some posters say they've gotten for having concerns over EJ.

I mean, I've seen posters disagree, and in sure there were a select few that made a bigger fuss than is warranted, but (and perhaps 16 months of sleep deprivation are taking their toll) I don't remember it being met with bile spitting...

What exactly about his FSU days did you find objectionable? Was it his starting at QB for a program that was rebuilding, or his 25-6 record as a starter, maybe the three bowl wins?

The John Murphy Show June 17 <1:20:30>

Bills LB Kiko Alonso discusses his position switch. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette remembers Coach Chuck Noll. Craig Henderberg from the Bills Fan Advisory Board on bettering the game day experience.

The segment with Kiko begins at just after 25 minutes into the audio.

What exactly about his FSU days did you find objectionable? Was it his starting at QB for a program that was rebuilding, or his 25-6 record as a starter, maybe the three bowl wins?

Again, I am not trashing the guy and do not see a need to constantly defend my opinion. He never got a team over the top that I felt had the talent to get there. I wouldn't say that they were rebuilding at all. They had 11 guys drafted in 2013 which I believe is a record. As soon as he leaves they go undefeated and win a national championship. I saw him play probably 6 games in college and thought that he was okay. I have a friend who is a die hard FSU fan and alum and he feels the same. I trust his opinion, my eyes and my evaluation. I think that the guy is about 1 out of 3 to be the franchise guy. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Thank god he wasn't TOO good in college. Imagine if EJ won the Heisman. He'd be a bust for sure.

I often cite his college career as a reason I'm not sold on him. His numbers in college were pretty good. But I never watched him play and thought "THAT is an NFL Qb". Obviously I am not a pro talent evaluator. But he didn't pass the eye test in my opinion. Add that to the fact that most FSU supporters I know were happy to have him move on.

To me, he is not a natural passer and is terribly inaccurate. I think that is one trait that rarely improves in quarterbacks. One trait all the elite QBs possess? Accuracy.

In the past when I've voiced my concern some posters label that as rooting for him to fail. I can say that is 100% false. I'm rooting for the kid with all my heart.

Edited by FluffHead

The defense is good. I just try to objectively view the Bills (except for Hogan). My concerns with EJ are: injuries, accuracy, slow going through progressions and they had to shrink the playbook in December. In addition he had 3 games where he was an abomination (Jets, TB and Pitt). I like his demeanor, stature, and physical tools. Like I said I hope that he is the guy but I have reservations.

He was far from abominable against the Jets. more so if you take into account that he was without Woods and Johnson for that game, yes the defense dominated their offense but he scored 2 TDs against a tough defense.

He was awful against TB and their cover 2 (coaches will take notice going into next season) and he was average against Pittsburgh, IMO. The problem with that game was that our rookie OC was out-coached by a HOF DC.

He was far from abominable against the Jets. more so if you take into account that he was without Woods and Johnson for that game, yes the defense dominated their offense but he scored 2 TDs against a tough defense.

He was awful against TB and their cover 2 (coaches will take notice going into next season) and he was average against Pittsburgh, IMO. The problem with that game was that our rookie OC was out-coached by a HOF DC.

He's talking about the first Jets game I believe.