Jacobs and the future stadium

Saw this tweet today and wondered if anyone knew anything about what AEG tried to do in LA. It seems like this would be a different situation - LA didn't even have a team - and can't imagine the NFL turning away private funding for a new stadium. Any ideas?

daniel kaplan@dkaplanSBJ 34m

Saw report Jacobs family doesn't want 2 own Bills, but build and run stadium. NFL rejected that with AEG in LA, won't happen in Buffalo

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, LA didn't and does not even have a team. Second, NFL didn't like Tim Leiweke, Third, AEG wanted to build the stadium and buy a minority stake in the team at a discounted price. NFL did not like AEG's financing plan for the stadium, From that Yahoo article:

"Longstanding issues concern AEG's stake in an NFL team, how much the developer is willing to pay for that stake, and who would control issues such as marketing and licensing at the football stadium"

They seem to think a deal could still get done someday. As far as Jacobs, Buffalo already has a team. Jacobs want's zero ownership of the team. Who knows what the marketing & licensing deal at a new stadium will be. Have to think it would be to the NFL's liking. My question is who is paying for the stadium? Is it going to be 100% a Jacobs/Delaware North funded stadium? Only one NFL stadium built since 1997 has been 100% privately financed- Met Life Stadium. Why would the NFL even give a flying crap who builds and pays for the stadium?

Sorry all, I've been told not to put up anymore of my "speculation" comments without a source. And since I won't jeopardize my job to give a little information on this forum I cannot comment on this subject.

Change your name to jw and speculate away, even as you wag your finger at others for doing the same thing.

Edited by zonabb

I really don't know the answer to this, so I ask earnestly. How many NFL teams play in stadiums that are privately owned, other than by the team owner? I can't think of any. If Jacobs is talking about building a stadium on his own, for the Bills to play in, that would be great for Buffalo...but what would Jacobs really gain from it? Sure, Delaware North would make a lot of money off of concessions, but it seems to me, it would take a while to break even on the cost of a brand new stadium.

Could the NFL object to this, simply because, in a way, it would mean there were two ownership groups to deal with... to re-locate the franchise in the future, should the NFL see it necessary, or beneficial, would they want to be obligated to a another owner, a stadium owner? What we have now, in Buffalo, is a tax-payer funded stadium... in a strange way, the Bills lease situation with Erie County, assuming the team stays, will have played a pretty major role in keeping the team here. You have to wonder if, say, the lease expired in a year or two, the NFL wouldn't be so (apparently) eager to keep the team in WNY.

Edited by Buftex

I really don't know the answer to this, so I ask earnestly. How many NFL teams play in stadiums that are privately owned, other than by the team owner? I can't think of any. If Jacobs is talking about building a stadium on his own, for the Bills to play in, that would be great for Buffalo...but what would Jacobs really gain from it? Sure, Delaware North would make a lot of money off of concessions, but it seems to me, it would take a while to break even on the cost of a brand new stadium.

Could the NFL object to this, simply because, in a way, it would mean there were two ownership groups to deal with... to re-locate the franchise in the future, should the NFL see it necessary, or beneficial, would they want to be obligated to a another owner, a stadium owner? What we have now, in Buffalo, is a tax-payer funded stadium... in a strange way, the Bills lease situation with Erie County, assuming the team stays, will have played a pretty major role in keeping the team here. You have to wonder if, say, the lease expired in a year or two, the NFL wouldn't be so (apparently) eager to keep the team in WNY.

I asked the same question on some other thread the other day. I can't picture this scenario ever before.

Sorry all, I've been told not to put up anymore of my "speculation" comments without a source. And since I won't jeopardize my job to give a little information on this forum I cannot comment on this subject.

What thread was this on?

Bob Kraft financed 100% of the construction of Gillette Stadium (325 mil), and owns the property outright.

Hard to believe someone would foot the bill on a 4-500 million dollar piece of real estate that's tailored for two or maybe three dozen paying events in a year without being part owner of the group that owns the main tenant.

What happens in a few years when the tenant's ownership decides to bolt to greener pastures filled with jiggling cheerleaders holding boatloads of cash and the promise of Februaries filled with sunshine and endless days of 70 degree temperatures? What's Jacob's plan then as to coping with the ROI on his investment... another sports team? tractor pulls? drum and bugle corps competitions? Mary Kay cosmetic conventions? $5.00 tourist tours of the empty building?

It doesn't seem to make sense for him not to be a part owner. But, hey wadda I know?

You make a good point. With state funded money, they can use leverage to keep the team in Buffalo for the next 30 years. You actually din't want a 100% privately funded stadium as the owner can move whenever they want.

I'd love to see a 50/50 split with an iron clad agreement. We can then stop worrying about the death march every year with the Bills.