FOOTBALL vs Football

T master

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The World cup starts today --- SO WHAT !! HOE HUM !!

They (media) all say that the world cup is huge & we have had a lot of people here say in the past that soccer/football is bigger than American football & are by advertisement in the US trying to get us in the US to like the game that around the world is known as football but for me it ain't happening !!

OK sure there may be a lot of interest around the world in soccer & even a bit higher interest here in the US because of all the influx of people from other countries moving here but i like America , & i like American football .

But i think the bigger draw is how much money can be generated by sports bars & such rather than the true interest in the game . Kind of like Cinco de Mayo is becoming a American way to make money ..

Although i learned to appreciate SOCCER when my daughter played it in high school & is a very athletic sport that takes a lot of athleticism & endurance to play BUT IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to American Football !!

American football is much more exciting with the high scoring when Peyton, Brady or ROgers unleash a 60 yd bomb or when a LB or CB intercept a pass & run it back for a pick six , you don't & won't IMHO get that kind of excitement in SOCCER but in football it could happen on any given sunday ...

Go American football / GO BILLS !!!

Liking American football does not preclude anyone from liking the real football. American football needs to change it's name as it is not played with the feet. I love both games and will be watching every single World Cup match. And I love American college football and the NFL and my Buffalo Bills, but c'mon man it ain't football.

Any game/sport that can drone on for 90+ minutes nearly nonstop and routinely end in a (scoreless, even) tie cannot command my attention.

They play for 11 minutes in football and spread that out over 3-3.5 hours. I don't think that's a great point to make.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64441086/nfl-statistical-analysis-average-nfl-game#!XZydL

By the numbers, there's a lot to suggest that the NFL's product isn't all that great. But the league has done a brilliant job of hiding its average and subpar games. TV contracts require networks to show the local team, implicitly guaranteeing a majority of viewers will care about a game regardless of whether it's a good one or not. Late afternoon and prime-time assignments are made to showcase the very best matchups of the week. The Redzone Channel(s) allow you to see only the most exciting moments. Paradoxically, it doesn't really matter what the average NFL game looks like, because so few people actually watch one. And that's probably a good thing.

RUGBY FOOTBALL is the 2nd-best football...way ahead of so-called "futbol.":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2B0EviQDB0

if more nations played it on this level it would be as good as the NFL. Unfortunately the All Blacks and South Africa only play 2-3 times a year. And only Australia (and maybe now the bloody Poms?) is even close.

I can appreciate the sport but I never got into it. Maybe one day.

To be blunt our football is only watchable on DVR delay. Play --> review during commercial --> score --> review during commercial --> PAT then kickoff --> commercial --> next play. And this isn't boring how? For one, the Ravens game this year was absolutely painful.

Institute instantaneous review from a war room in NY and cut the TV timeouts in half. Recoup the ad revenue with jersey and on the field advertisements. And to be honest the NFL should probably have jersey advertisements soon anyway; not sure if anyone saw the Sideshow Bob looking guy for Brazil today, but a team in Paris just bought him for roughly half the average NFL payroll (>$60mil). Lot of cash being tossed around over in Europe.

Then there's penalty time. A ref arbitrarily decides how much time is left to a game. A team is down by a goal and the ref can just let the game go on and on and on. To me that's insane. Do they not have countdown clocks in Europe?

Then there are the red and yellow cards mostly handed out because the other team is better at acting like a player broke every bone in his body, then gets up and scores a goal and leaps 10 feet in the air a minute later.

The whole flopping canard is getting quite old. They've started to clamp down on diving in a lot of leagues, especially the EPL (which is top to bottom arguably the best in soccer, and is the only league worth watching regularly at this point).

In regard to the timing thing, many of the sports we watch (hockey excepted) have convoluted timing rules that change depending on how much time is left on the clock. If a team is on the attack in soccer, the ref generally lets the play finish before blowing the whistle, which is fair when you think how arbitrary timing tends to be. That's my favorite argument in favor of the running clock.

Don't get me wrong, bad soccer is pretty bad, but the best games are just as entertaining as football.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

To be blunt our football is only watchable on DVR delay. Play --> review during commercial --> score --> review during commercial --> PAT then kickoff --> commercial --> next play. And this isn't boring how? For one, the Ravens game this year was absolutely painful.

Institute instantaneous review from a war room in NY and cut the TV timeouts in half. Recoup the ad revenue with jersey and on the field advertisements. And to be honest the NFL should probably have jersey advertisements soon anyway; not sure if anyone saw the Sideshow Bob looking guy for Brazil today, but a team in Paris just bought him for roughly half the average NFL payroll (>$60mil). Lot of cash being tossed around over in Europe.

Yes David Luis was sold to PSG from Chelsea for 50M Euro's but that's actually ruining the game more than anything. Lots of oil kings who want their real life version of football manager.

The whole flopping canard is getting quite old. They've started to clamp down on diving in a lot of leagues, especially the EPL (which is top to bottom arguably the best in soccer, and is the only league worth watching regularly at this point).

In regard to the timing thing, many of the sports we watch (hockey excepted) have convoluted timing rules that change depending on how much time is left on the clock. If a team is on the attack in soccer, the ref generally lets the play finish before blowing the whistle, which is fair when you think how arbitrary timing tends to be. That's my favorite argument in favor of the running clock.

Don't get me wrong, bad soccer is pretty bad, but the best games are just as entertaining as football.

And yet today a Brasil player flopped and got a Croatian player a yellow card and a free goal out of it. (Though Brasil did spot Croatia a goal earlier.) They are making my point. Fool a ref, get a goal, likely win a game. Not my idea of sport.

I can watch World CUp soccer because it's the best there is so much more on the line. But there's a lot I can't stand about soccer too. The two biggest things are injury time and penalty shots...and diving, okay three things.

It boggles my mind that a sport that with constant rumors of fixing matches allows referees to practically pick a winner on one call. Ref calls a penalty in the goal zone and a penalty kick is 90% a free goal. In sport where it's so hard to score they have a penalty where it's almost impossible not to score.

Then there's penalty time. A ref arbitrarily decides how much time is left to a game. A team is down by a goal and the ref can just let the game go on and on and on. To me that's insane. Do they not have countdown clocks in Europe?

Then there are the red and yellow cards mostly handed out because the other team is better at acting like a player broke every bone in his body, then gets up and scores a goal and leaps 10 feet in the air a minute later.

Screw soccer and the metric system. We don't need either of them.

And yet today a Brasil player flopped and got a Croatian player a yellow card and a free goal out of it. (Though Brasil did spot Croatia a goal earlier.) They are making my point. Fool a ref, get a goal, likely win a game. Not my idea of sport.

Which is why I'm not a huge fan of international games. If that were an EPL game, the Brazilian would've gotten a yellow for simulation without prejudice. Granted this is the biggest competition in the world, but I still maintain the EPL is better for those getting into soccer.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

Which is why I'm not a huge fan of international games. If that were an EPL game, the Brazilian would've gotten a yellow for simulation without prejudice. Granted this is the biggest competition in the world, but I still maintain the EPL is better for those getting into soccer.

World Cup of soccer is also world cup of referees. They tend to take refs from all the leagues and many have never reffed a legitimate game in their life, let alone the world cup. The officiating get's better in the knockout rounds as more referees are from the European leagues.

Your point would be better if QB's didn't flop every time a defender was nearby and pass interference wasn't a means for point redistribution. How many games have been decided by reviewing a spot or determining possession followed by a "football move"?