Mandatory Monday: Top Front Sevens

Mandatory Monday: Top Front Sevens

Welcome back to the Rankings File, an ongoing spring and summer series rating the best and worst units in the NFL. This week, we examine defensive front sevens.

Why "front sevens" instead of breaking down defensive lines and linebackers in separate weeks? There are many reasons, starting with the simple fact that we can argue for hours about where a defensive end ends and an outside linebacker begins. Any rating of best defensive lines would be dominated by the four-man lines of 4-3 defenses, while linebackers in 3-4 would overwhelm their own "best of" lists. Then we have to worry about the hybrid defenses and "Leo" defenders. The final rankings would be full or arbitrary distinctions and a few silly results.

I agree that the Bills are one of the top front 7's but I always have an issue with these articles when they are factually inaccurate. He forgot Mario in the Pro Bowl and added Kiko (who should have went). It always just makes me question how many other things in there are wrong.

I agree that the Bills are one of the top front 7's but I always have an issue with these articles when they are factually inaccurate. He forgot Mario in the Pro Bowl and added Kiko (who should have went). It always just makes me question how many other things in there are wrong.

Cool article but I agree... these sites must not employ editors or fact checkers. I always spot errors like that, or wrong positions, etc. when I read these sites.

Can't stop the run. Can't stop Brady when it matters. Can't go on the road and dominate...anyone.

Too negative? Sorry.

I'll know a good defense when I see one. Haven't seen one in Buffalo since 1998.

I think this is a projection for 2014, not a rating from 2013.

Can't stop the run. Can't stop Brady when it matters. Can't go on the road and dominate...anyone.

Too negative? Sorry.

I'll know a good defense when I see one. Haven't seen one in Buffalo since 1998.

Last years defense WAS a good one....just not a complete one.

You can name the defenses in the league that can stop Brady on less then the fingers of one hand.....that is a poor measuring stick.

Carolinas defense couldnt stop us last year....does that mean they suck? NO.....the panthers have a good defense.

Too negative? Sorry.

Exactly.

I'm hoping the front 7 is a strength this season, but I need to see it on the field before I start believing claims they are a top 5 unit.

Too negative? Sorry.

Our secondary was depleted and banged up all year. Plus this is a new group of linebackers for this year. That said, I agree with you that we need to dominate and get off the field when its go time. And man am I ever anxious to see what we got this year.

Front 7's are nice, but in this passing era it shouldn't be lost that the best defense (Seattle) has the best secondary, and an only average front 7

We were 2nd in the league in interceptions and opposing passer rating.

Front 7's are nice, but in this passing era it shouldn't be lost that the best defense (Seattle) has the best secondary, and an only average front 7

Taking nothing away from Seattle's secondary, but that SB was won on the strength of their front four. They got such quick, early pressure that the LBs and DBs were able to flatten out everything in front of it. Manning had no time.

GO BILLS!!!

Taking nothing away from Seattle's secondary, but that SB was won on the strength of their front four. They got such quick, early pressure that the LBs and DBs were able to flatten out everything in front of it. Manning had no time.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree with this... their front 4 makes their secondary look even better.

Too negative? Sorry.

Mike, what are you in for?