What are the true structural deficiencies of Ralph Wilson Stadium?

Why not build a stadium for both UB and the Bills as part of the UB 2020 thing? If they want to have a real deal college football program then they need a big time stadium. It would be a great recruiting tool to say they get to play in the same stadium as the NFL's 24th best team!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be 50 years old in 2023. The upper decks are breaking down but the lower bowl should be fine. The biggest problem are the narrow concourses. No way to correct that. It has plenty of luxury boxes and club seats. They probably need updating. There is plenty of room the county already owns to build a new stadium.

Ok WNY Economics again.... THEY CANT AFFORD A NEW STADIUM. Fans can't afford PSL's or seats, not enough companies that can or are willing to pay real luxury suite prices etc. Look The bills would have to make arrangements for 1 year to play somewhere else, tear down the upper level as the base is FINE, and redo the upper level and put a dome on the damn thing.

400 million tops vs over a billion.

A new stadium wont fly in WNY period.

Ok WNY Economics again.... THEY CANT AFFORD A NEW STADIUM. Fans can't afford PSL's or seats, not enough companies that can or are willing to pay real luxury suite prices etc. Look The bills would have to make arrangements for 1 year to play somewhere else, tear down the upper level as the base is FINE, and redo the upper level and put a dome on the damn thing.

400 million tops vs over a billion.

A new stadium wont fly in WNY period.

Glad to have you back!! Please refer to the new stadium thread where it is all laid out. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/168129-to-shed-some-light-on-the-whole-new-stadium-thing/

It is not a concern at all. The only concern on the long term future is some deep pocketed Ballmer-type that will ride out 6 lean years and move them. Highly unlikely

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Why not build a stadium for both UB and the Bills as part of the UB 2020 thing? If they want to have a real deal college football program then they need a big time stadium. It would be a great recruiting tool to say they get to play in the same stadium as the NFL's 24th best team!!

i love this idea.

Orlando Florida is spending $200 million dollars to renovate the Citrus Bowl and they have no team that plays there week in and week out.

They do however host the Florida Classic, The State of Florida high school football championship (8 divisions), The Russell Athletic bowl, and The Capital One Bowl.

The University of Central Florida used to play there but now has its own 45,000 seat stadium on campus which they built for

65 million dollars in 2007.

Have prices gone up that much in 7 years that 25,000 more seats and a roof is almost 900 million more? Go figure.

Edited by oman128

I added the word structural to the title, since like other threads about a stadium, the conversation always devolves into a discussion about promoting the revitalization of a specific area around the stadium. This thread is suppose to be about what is wrong with the stadium itself, not about the stadium becoming an economic stimulus for a particular location.

I have heard only two serious issues about the stadium in the thread. The fact that the concourses are too narrow, and that the upper decks are soon going to require major structural renovations due to age related deterioration.

Someone also mentioned the desire that the stadium have a retractable roof, but it sounds more like a desire than a need.

Does anyone have a link to an article that tells exactly what the NFL requirements are for a football stadium, and why the stadium will not be able to meet the standards of those requirements now or in the next decade?

I agree with your central point. Yet, even Yankee Stadium was replaced.

As far as the Packers are concerned, if only the Buffalo community could own the team (as is allowed with the Packers but no other team) . . . .

Do you think the community would raise $1B to buy the team if it was allowed?

The Stadium is not good enough, or new enough, for the fans who will not pay enough for tickets, to be able to afford a new stadium.

So a stadium must be built that is befitting the fans, because they will not pay for their own stadium.

That is my understanding

My problem with the retractable roof or dome is that if you look at all of the 'newer' stadiums in the league that have been replaced or are in need to be replaced ... they are domed. Domed stadiums leave you needing a new stadium in 20 years. I don't understand why there is such a push for a stadium that won't even outlive the lease that we'll want.

I added the word structural to the title, since like other threads about a stadium, the conversation always devolves into a discussion about promoting the revitalization of a specific area around the stadium. This thread is suppose to be about what is wrong with the stadium itself, not about the stadium becoming an economic stimulus for a particular location.

I have heard only two serious issues about the stadium in the thread. The fact that the concourses are too narrow, and that the upper decks are soon going to require major structural renovations due to age related deterioration.

Someone also mentioned the desire that the stadium have a retractable roof, but it sounds more like a desire than a need.

Does anyone have a link to an article that tells exactly what the NFL requirements are for a football stadium, and why the stadium will not be able to meet the standards of those requirements now or in the next decade?

I think that the point is that the structural issues will only continue to get worse. The concourses have been addressed this offseason but the cracks in the upper deck, etc...will not improve as the stadium moves to 50 and beyond.

You really can't seperate the structural issues from the economic issues. The landscape of the NFL is so markedly different than 1973. Atlanta just broke ground on a new stadium and their stadium is only about 20 years old. "What is wrong with the stadium itself?" It cannot generate the finances needed.

Can we please stop saying dome, it's fixed roof or retractable roof, a dome is out of date.

That being said, I'm wondering how Buffalo the 4th poorest city is going to build a Billion dollar Stadium.

Moving the Stadium closer to Rochester doesn't help much, Rochester is the 3rd poorest city in the USA.

My problem with the retractable roof or dome is that if you look at all of the 'newer' stadiums in the league that have been replaced or are in need to be replaced ... they are domed. Domed stadiums leave you needing a new stadium in 20 years. I don't understand why there is such a push for a stadium that won't even outlive the lease that we'll want.

They aren't replaced for structural reasons, just greed reasons.

IMO I want a dome but not a retractable one. Making a roof that opens and closes adds hundreds of millions to the price. That's too much for a feature you might use twice a year. But absolutely it has to have a dome.

Can we please stop saying dome, it's fixed roof or retractable roof, a dome is out of date.

That being said, I'm wondering how Buffalo the 4th poorest city is going to build a Billion dollar Stadium.

Moving the Stadium closer to Rochester doesn't help much, Rochester is the 3rd poorest city in the USA.

Buffalo is 6th on this list. But note that 7 of the cities in the top 10 have NFL teams and half recently built new stadiums including domes. So there goes your argument.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Buffalo is 6th on this list. But note that 7 of the cities in the top 10 have NFL teams and half recently built new stadiums including domes. So there goes your argument.

I've said it before but the most overrated aspect of the new stadium is the complete economic landscape of WNY. The reason above that you alluded to is why. The Bills do not need everyone to buy PSLs or tickets or anything. The Lions do not need everyone in Detroit to buy either. You need enough people to fill the stadium.

They aren't replaced for structural reasons, just greed reasons.

IMO I want a dome but not a retractable one. Making a roof that opens and closes adds hundreds of millions to the price. That's too much for a feature you might use twice a year. But absolutely it has to have a dome.

Excuse me you are incorrect. Yesterday Channel 2, 4 and 7 all reported that 26% of city of Buffalo resident live below the poverty level. Here are the links.

Detroit was ranked 1, Cleveland 2nd and Rochester 3rd, and Buffalo 4th.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/buffalo/2014/06/05/buffalo-is-fourth-poorest-city/10037289/

http://wivb.com/2014/06/05/buffalo-is-4th-poorest-city-in-nation/

http://www.wkbw.com/news/Buffalo-Ranked-4th-Poorest-City-in-the-US-262035401.html

So about 1 family in 4 can't afford the basics of life food, clothing, shelter and utilities how are they goijng to afford tickets,a new stadium personal seat licenses ?

So about 1 family in 4 can't afford the basics of life food, clothing, shelter and utilities how are they goijng to afford tickets,a new stadium personal seat licenses ?

They are not. In what city do the poorest people own tickets?

It is like the minimum wage argument. The only people that are impacted by changing minimum wage are those making minimum wage (or less than whatever the new number will be).

The overall wealth of the region does not impact a new stadium at all. The new stadium is only impacted if there are not enough people to fill it. It is not being built for everyone; it Is being built for those that can afford it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The central point here is dead on. Revenue generation will take priority over game day experience. There will be much finer amenities with the new stadium for the fans to enjoy but the overall game day will look different than we have been accustomed to.

Perhaps but revenue generating items can be incorporated into a retrofit. Those who claim a new stadium is needed for that are not considering this avenue, I think.

As for where to play during a retro. They may be able to get the NFL to help out with scheduling for a year so they play all their late games as road games. However, Playoffs would be an issue if they were to make it is that season.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

The sight lines at the Ralph are great really not a bad seat most anywhere in the stadium , but why Orchard park could never figure that one out ?

The recent renovations (to me) really make no sense what so ever ! Why spend $130 mill now that the tax payers & team will be hung for when in a very short 7 to 10 years that $130 mill could have been put into the over all price of getting a new stadium .

But when you leave things to gov't thats what you get , good , sound decision making :doh: !!

If the Bills are to stay in WNY with the backing of the NFL & it's owners (all but JA Jones) i believe they will need a new stadium some where in the down town area which will not only help the Bills but the city too as far as new bids for hotels & such that COULD eventually lead to a bid for the big game a bit far fetched but you never know ...

Do you think the community would raise $1B to buy the team if it was allowed?

Some how , some way , yes i do !!