should we be worried about the jets?

A lot of new pieces due to FA and a draft with a ton of picks. Will all of the big names (CJ2K, Decker, Vick) form a potent offense to complement their always formidable defense? Or will this fall apart like so many hastily put together teams have in the past?

Jets defense is good!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree on roster, it's much better -- but that one if is a BIG IF !! . . . QB is the most important position by far and this season sits on EJ's shoulders --- he plays like last year, we'll be 6-10 again -- he progresses to be an average NFL QB we could get to 8 or 9 wins -- he'll need to take 2 steps to get to 10+ wins and make playoffs ---

Jets defense is good!

It can be good, mainly because of Rex and the DL, but isn't consistently.I was at the Jets-Bengals game and it was one of the worst defensive performances I watched all year. David Harris always looks lost in coverage and seems to have lost a step and they have one starting corner from last year, Milliner, who was so bad he got benched. Not uncommon for a rookie to struggle but they whiffed in getting a solid corner in FA and will again rely on lower tier guys and rookies. If their DL can be as good as they have, it will help the secondary but we saw even that could not save them at times last year.

Also, I read right on this here forum that the only reason EJ looked so good against the Jets was because their defense was awful.

Decker was a good addition, but Chris Johnson and Mike Vick are Redskin-like moves.

Jets will always be a tough out with Ryan at the helm, but I don't think the Bills "fear" anyone -- nor should they. They should simply prepare to face each team's best effort, and then pound them into the dirt.

It's been repeated ad nauseam around here, but the Bills have built a roster that appears, on paper, to be deep and talented. It all depends on EJ's progression in year two.

Not a Rex Ryan fan as a HC, personally. He seems to put all his effort into beating the Pats* and forgets that he needs to develop a QB. Regardless of how they compare to the Bills (because it seems like if you criticize any other team someone always replies with "14 years!!" to show that is not allowed because I am a Bills fan)...but they always strike me as a team that is inconsistent at many levels. Edited by YoloinOhio

This is the NFL. The delta between the leagues best and leagues worst is marginal. You worry about every opponent in this league. Professional athletes, the best in the world. Damn straight I'm worried about the jets.

This is the NFL. The delta between the leagues best and leagues worst is marginal. You worry about every opponent in this league. Professional athletes, the best in the world. Damn straight I'm worried about the jets.

See everyone ?

i told you .Well Jaybee TOLD you, i just said it first here

Edited by 3rdand12

It can be good, mainly because of Rex and the DL, but isn't consistently.I was at the Jets-Bengals game and it was one of the worst defensive performances I watched all year. David Harris always looks lost in coverage and seems to have lost a step and they have one starting corner from last year, Milliner, who was so bad he got benched. Not uncommon for a rookie to struggle but they whiffed in getting a solid corner in FA and will again rely on lower tier guys and rookies. If their DL can be as good as they have, it will help the secondary but we saw even that could not save them at times last year.

Also, I read right on this here forum that the only reason EJ looked so good against the Jets was because their defense was awful.

Not a Rex Ryan fan as a HC, personally. He seems to put all his effort into beating the Pats* and forgets that he needs to develop a QB. Regardless of how they compare to the Bills (because it seems like if you criticize any other team someone always replies with "14 years!!" to show that is not allowed because I am a Bills fan)...but they always strike me as a team that is inconsistent at many levels.

Inconsistent and 8-8? Building a team for Mark Sanchez to take to 2 AFCCG's?

Maybe the Bills need a little inconsistency instead of consistently 6-10?

Inconsistent and 8-8? Building a team for Mark Sanchez to take to 2 AFCCG's?

Maybe the Bills need a little inconsistency instead of consistently 6-10?

Maybe you missed the part where I said I was not comparing them to the Bills.

I was referring to the most recent product we saw from the Jets, not the Sanchez teams. Yes, I thought they were inconsistent last year. Win/loss/win/loss/win/loss, repeat, etc.... = 8-8.

Not a Rex Ryan fan as a HC, personally. He seems to put all his effort into beating the Pats* and forgets that he needs to develop a QB. Regardless of how they compare to the Bills (because it seems like if you criticize any other team someone always replies with "14 years!!" to show that is not allowed because I am a Bills fan)...but they always strike me as a team that is inconsistent at many levels.

I agree about the Jets being inconsistent last year. They managed to beat some good teams at home like NO and NE, with their DL, even though their offense did nothing. On the road they were pathetic. Of course, they beat the Browns but apparently Rex was fighting for his job (isn't he always)? I don't think they will be a good team this year. They will be challenge Miami for last place in the division. Their secondary is a huge question mark and they only addressed it with more rookies. I don't trust their offense at all, beginning with QB and is Decker their #1 WR? Good luck with that. I know they were in the playoffs a few years ago but not sure how many of those players are still there. Mangold, Harris...? Not sure how any Bills fan could think the Jets are a better team at this point. Last year was an indication. The Bills lost in NJ but so did Brady and Brees yet ya'll got tied up with EJ until the defense broke down on the long pass play. The Bills win that game easily with even part of your starting secondary but you were missing both starting CBs and starting S.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I was not comparing them to the Bills.

I was referring to the most recent product we saw from the Jets, not the Sanchez teams. Yes, I thought they were inconsistent last year. Win/loss/win/loss/win/loss, repeat, etc.... = 8-8.

8-8 is the worst. No playoffs and mid round draft pick. Edited by Cleveland Rocks?

I agree for the most part. However, People seem to think the defense is going to be very solid. I'm a little concerned with the loss of Pettine and Byrd, but mostly Pettine. The defense really came on towards the end of the year and the scheme he brought from the Jets was perfect for the players we have here. Now they have to learn an entirely new scheme... again, and one that wasn't all that great in Detroit.

I am concerned too but not so much for the loss of Pettine, just learning a new scheme. I wasn't enamored with Pettine's scheme when it mattered and I don't think Byrd's absence will be as critical in Schwartz's D. Many teams are breaking in new safeties without the luxury of having the CB corp we do. However, I didn't watch much Lions football over the last few years (ok, ever) but I don't really expect the same outcome because our personnel is different and his assistants are different here, plus he has one job:defense. Whether the Lions defense was all Cunningham or part Schwartz, it certainly was never all Schwartz. HCs just don't have that luxury. I do expect our defense to be better against the run, on 3rd down, and ultimately more efficient. I am excited about the defensive coaching staff with Pepper Johnson and his knowledge of of the AFCE, Fed Pagac and his 100 years of coaching LBs, and Donnie Henderson along with Schwartz and his knowledge of the NFCN, combined with the talent on our roster.

A lot of new pieces due to FA and a draft with a ton of picks. Will all of the big names (CJ2K, Decker, Vick) form a potent offense to complement their always formidable defense? Or will this fall apart like so many hastily put together teams have in the past?

There is no "gimme" win in the NFL. Every opponent has an equal chance of winning against us and yes we should be worried about all the 13 opponents that we will face.

I don't think the AFC East is a great division, but I do think it's going to be competitive this year. I don't think the Patriots will quite have it all their own way as they have for much of the past decade, although clearly they are still the favourites. It wouldn't surprise me if the 4 teams in the division are all between 7 and 9 wins at the end.

Not worried, perhaps a bit concerned tho.

Looking back at that first game in week 3, with 8 sacks given up. Spiller 10 rushes for 9 yards. Then the bills didn't get a sack on Geno. The Bills didn't play very well at all in a lot of road games last season, as they only won two of eight road games. Those two road wins were against the Jags, Dolphins.

The Jets almost always have a decent defense, and with new additions in free agency WR Eric Decker, RB Chris Johnson, and QB Mike Vick. Then they they drafted TE Jace Amaro out of Texas Tech. So they could build a decent offense under OC Marty Mornhinweg.

I suppose everything will depend on injuries when they meet week 8, week 12.

I see it this way:

Rex Ryan and Marty Mornhinweg are much better coaches then Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett until proven otherwise.

If Vick starts the Jets are a much better team then last year and although Vick is extremely injury prone, he is a good QB when healthy.

Winning consistently in the NFL for the most part comes down to your coaching staff and QB. Like I said, if Vick starts the Jets are much better at these two aspects of the game then the Bills until proven otherwise.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. Vick is in the twilight of his career, I don't think he has much left in the tank. I really don't think he'll be decidedly better than Geno at this point, and thats saying something. I guess we'll see.

Thank you for the thread, OP! Yes, I worry about the Jets this season. Not because I think they'll be elite, just that the 2 games against us figure to be among their best chances to win through their first 11 games. Their front-end schedule is BRUTAL and it's not inconceivable they could be 4-7 at that time. I see them as being written off then, but make a strong run late as their new pieces meld in and the schedule becomes very manageable. 8-8/9-7 is possible, based on how they fare against US, and will likely be in a wild, season finale scramble for final playoff spots.. IF they sweep us.. http://www.newyorkje...n-schedule.html

No, we shouldn't be worry about the Jets. Michael Vick won't survived four games. Chris Johnson only cares about getting paid and won't play to his level. Eric Decker won't be the same player without Peyton Manning.Geno Smith is awful,enough said, There record will be 6-10. They will have two loses against the Bills.

No, we shouldn't be worry about the Jets. Michael Vick won't survived four games. Chris Johnson only cares about getting paid and won't play to his level. Eric Decker won't be the same player without Peyton Manning.Geno Smith is awful,enough said, There record will be 6-10. They will have two loses against the Bills.

Stay in school, son. You're falling way behind.