should we be worried about the jets?

A lot of new pieces due to FA and a draft with a ton of picks. Will all of the big names (CJ2K, Decker, Vick) form a potent offense to complement their always formidable defense? Or will this fall apart like so many hastily put together teams have in the past?

This team needs to worry about every single team they face until they become a dominant force in the NFL. Right now, they are not a favored matchup in any game. IF the QB situation was a little more established this might be a worthy discussion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Decker says the New York Jets have the talent to be a playoff team

Had things bounced just slightly different for the New York Jets in 2013, it's conceivable to believe they could have made the postseason. Finishing at 8-8, the Jets had no chance to catch the New England Patriots in the AFC East, however the Jets went into the final two weeks of the year with limited but hopeful aspirations for the second AFC wild-card spot.

I am concerned too but not so much for the loss of Pettine, just learning a new scheme. I wasn't enamored with Pettine's scheme when it mattered and I don't think Byrd's absence will be as critical in Schwartz's D. Many teams are breaking in new safeties without the luxury of having the CB corp we do. However, I didn't watch much Lions football over the last few years (ok, ever) but I don't really expect the same outcome because our personnel is different and his assistants are different here, plus he has one job:defense. Whether the Lions defense was all Cunningham or part Schwartz, it certainly was never all Schwartz. HCs just don't have that luxury. I do expect our defense to be better against the run, on 3rd down, and ultimately more efficient. I am excited about the defensive coaching staff with Pepper Johnson and his knowledge of of the AFCE, Fed Pagac and his 100 years of coaching LBs, and Donnie Henderson along with Schwartz and his knowledge of the NFCN, combined with the talent on our roster.

One of the things i have been most impressed with , was the Coaches the Bills added as soon as the season ended for them . Man talk about developing quality depth . Young and old alike . Some to be teachers and some to be taught. I would guess that few here know we aquired Fred Pajac. Or who the heck he is.

I may suggest some should .

The Bills have a concerted effort to get this culture , down to its mediocrity is acceptable , turned upon it's head. The idea of creating and then maintaining a winning culture in Buffalo is quite a serious undertaking for this FO .

I think Brandon and Whaley and now Marrone are going to succeed . They may not finish the job due to impatience by a new owner : ( .

But i really think the ship has turned direction. The sails are fillng . Its not done yet but they have direction and that is to win . Criticize their mistakes sure ,

but have no doubt these guys are on a mission.

The Coaches they hired and those kept from last season , plus the players aquired all around are a solid tell for me .

Boy sorry folks i guess i got a little caught up . Its all the small things adding up.

Oh most importantly , I expect to beat the snockers out of the jets twice. and fret the whole time

Edited by 3rdand12

I'm not sweating the Jets. We split with them last season and if our secondary wasn't running on fumes, we probably sweep them. There will be no Justin Rodgers for thrm to pick on this time around.

Yes, they made some improvements but the only one I'm impressed with is Decker. Then again, they don't really have anyone else at WR so we can stick Gilmore on him and put a safety over the top.

Our terrible run defense was also a major factor in the loss. We have made major strides in correcting that with the addition of Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers, and Preston Brown. I really do feel that upgrading the LB corp will be what puts this defense into elite territory.

Once we show we can't be run over, there will be a lot more 3rd and longs that our defense will thrive on with their propensity for sacks and INTs

I am always worried about everyone.

Agreed. And as much as I don't like the guy, Rex Ryan is a really, really good defensive coach and can be counted on to put up a great half of a team. That said, his offenses have...left a lot to be desired.

Rex Ryan and Marty Mornhinweg are much better coaches then Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett until proven otherwise.

If Vick starts the Jets are a much better team then last year and although Vick is extremely injury prone, he is a good QB when healthy.

To point one...Morninweg? Really? Really? And I think you managed to leave out Schwartz, who has a great track record as a DC.

Two, I'm in Eagles territory and I can tell you that 99% of the fans I heard from were thrilled to see Vick go. And believe me, from the games I watched, I can see why. If you guys think that Geno was a turnover machine, you haven't been watching Vick over the last three seasons. All the bad things said about Geno (holds on too long, and gets decked on sacks because of it, tendency to fumble, interceptions) are also true for Vick who has a litany of concussions,an injury which does tend to stack up.

Vick is aging. Last season he won back his job to start because he knows how to flash just enough talent before the wheels fall off. Personally, I'm more worried about Geno than I am Vick.

If it comes down to offenses other than the QB position (which is still a tossup) I like the Bills O-line better, their receivers better, at worst the RBs are a wash, and the Jets seem to have a slightly better TE group (Chandler and Moeaki vs Cumberlad and Amaro)

If it comes to the defense, our current projected starts had more sacks last year than one team did. (Mario, Dareus,Kyle and Hughes). We have possibly the best rookie from last year at WLB, the best run stuffing MLB and a solid/decent looking SAM in Rivers.

At CB, Dee Milliner had a season where Rex probably would have preferred Gilmore with the glove on. And he's their #1 CB.

I'm not saying that it won't be close, but I think the Bills have an edge at best, and it won't be an overwhelming difference in talent at the worst.

We lost Pettine whos scheme had a lot to do with all the sacks we had last year IMO. Everyone seems to forget how bad our defense was when Wanny was calling the plays the year prior. Schwartz is more similar to Wanny then he is Pettine.

Schwartz's defense in Detroit were not great. In fact, they were very average. I for one am very concerned with the loss of Pettine and Byrd.

No, he isn't. In fact, the comparison isn't even close...it's a lazy comparison based on the misconception that neither Schwartz nor Wanstedt blitz and only try to get pressure with their front 4.

The fact of the matter is that Schwartz has indeed run variable front type defenses, similar to Pettine. Pettine ran a 4-3 under, not a 3-4 as many believe. Schwartz also ran some of this with Tennessee...remember also that the wide 9 was a staple of DL Coach Jim Washburn in Tennessee, not Schwartz.

Pettine also wasn't a blitzer; he seldom rushed more than 4. He did, however, like to send pressure packages, something that Schwartz himself said he likes to do.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Defensive-changes-will-be-subtle-to-promote-progress/eacbce33-749d-48b1-8747-925bd530919c

They have a good defense, but Geno will make dumb mistakes and we'll have a short field. We will split or sweep.

These kind of posts make me chuckle. I guarantee you could find on a Jets board the following:

"They have a good defense, but Manuel will make dumb mistakes if he is even able to play and we'll have a short field. We will split or sweep."

Either one could end up being true.

These kind of posts make me chuckle. I guarantee you could find on a Jets board the following:

"They have a good defense, but Manuel will make dumb mistakes if he is even able to play and we'll have a short field. We will split or sweep."

Either one could end up being true.

Except that Geno really did make dumb mistakes and we had a short field the whole time in the 2nd game last year. EJ had a tough 1st half with sacks in the first game but came back to tie it and I don't recall him having any dumb mistakes or giving them a short field the whole game. My point is just that statement basically describes Geno's last performance against the Bills to a T. Edited by YoloinOhio