Favorite all time movie?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great documentary. My favorite documentaries of all time are easily The Paradise Lost films made by HBO about the West Memphis Three. It is dark subject matter, but it grips you.

Here's one that's a TBD favorite and a great one also: "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters".

"Regarding Henry" / Harrison Ford

"Overboard" / Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn

Funny story about Overboard. The guy who originally wrote the screenplay for that sold it outright for 2,500 bucks (forget the actual figure but it was low). He was young and thought it was a great deal at the time, it let him buy his first car -- but part of the deal was his name wasn't going to be on it and he wouldn't ever see residuals. He figured it would never get made anyway, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush kind of thing.

Almost 30 years later, a huge box office smash and still running occasionally on cable, that's hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions he missed out on.

I always wondered if he still had the car.

Edited by GreggyT

I've seen a few people mention it, but I just saw it a couple weeks ago. L.A. Confidential is phenomenal. Great cast and gets you sucked in right from the start.

Cool. Glad you liked it.

How about the performance by James Cromwell?

Cool. Glad you liked it.

How about the performance by James Cromwell?

He's great in everything he does. I kind of suspected him from the start, but it was still a great movie. Hard to believe Crowe and Pearce were not very well known in the U.S. in '97. Nowadays, it looks like an all-star cast. Also think it should've won a lot more Academy Awards...too bad it was fighting against Titanic that year.

Off topic side note: Me and my buddies were attempting to watch all of IMDB's Top 250 movies at one point. We started it about 6 years ago thinking we could hammer it out, but it's taken us a lot longer than expected so I'm still slowly working through that list. I have The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on tap soon but I'm not sure if I have to watch Fistful of Dollars or For A Few Dollars More first.

Edited by Wooderson

He's great in everything he does. I kind of suspected him from the start, but it was still a great movie. Hard to believe Crowe and Pearce were not very well known in the U.S. in '97. Nowadays, it looks like an all-star cast. Also think it should've won a lot more Academy Awards...too bad it was fighting against Titanic that year.

Off topic side note: Me and my buddies were attempting to watch all of IMDB's Top 250 movies at one point. We started it about 6 years ago thinking we could hammer it out, but it's taken us a lot longer than expected so I'm still slowly working through that list. I have The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly on tap soon but I'm not sure if I have to watch Fistful of Dollars or For A Few Dollars More first.

Ugh, please don't remind me about "L.A. Confidential" & "Titanic". :sick:

Yes, Crowe & Pearce, a pair of aussies, were fresh faces back then, and what a way to break out.

Regarding the top 250, that is quite an undertaking. That's a lot of movies. Once you get finished with the Dollars trilogy, then it'll be a matter of time until you get to "Once Upon A Time in the West", which is another favorite of mine.

Here's one that's a TBD favorite and a great one also: "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters".

Only until you realize how much the director manipulated the footage to grossly distort reality.

Only until you realize how much the director manipulated the footage to grossly distort reality.

I'm not doubting that. They wanted it to be entertaining, and it was.

I would not be surprised if a lot of documentary films are distorted. Look at "Bowling For Columbine".

I'm not doubting that. They wanted it to be entertaining, and it was.

I would not be surprised if a lot of documentary films are distorted. Look at "Bowling For Columbine".

Yeah, I totally agree. I just lost a lot of respect for it once I realized just how much it was manipulated. Very entertaining otherwise, though.

The Grapes of Wraith. Inspirational portrayal of the struggles and strength of common Americans.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I cried laughing when I saw this as a kid.

The Last Temptation of Christ. Those that protested it either didn't see it or understand it.

Goodfellas. Pesci at his best.

The Dark Knight. Imagine the sequel if Ledger had lived.

Funny story about Overboard. The guy who originally wrote the screenplay for that sold it outright for 2,500 bucks (forget the actual figure but it was low). He was young and thought it was a great deal at the time, it let him buy his first car -- but part of the deal was his name wasn't going to be on it and he wouldn't ever see residuals. He figured it would never get made anyway, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush kind of thing.

Almost 30 years later, a huge box office smash and still running occasionally on cable, that's hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions he missed out on.

I always wondered if he still had the car.

Great story. Really a contrast to sylvestor Stallone writing rocky. I think Stallone was broke and turned down something like 300,000 to stick to his guns and demand that he play the leading role.

Capote and elephant,is not a great story but a great camera management.

By the moment i forget a lot of names, but i've only see a few titles in "no english" language(3 or 4).

Here are some:

Amore-france

El secreto de sus ojos (the secret in their eyes)-Argentina

Ikiru-japan

La perla(the pearl)-méxico. based on john steinback's book

Amores perros -méxico

A separation- iran

La piel que habito(the skin i live in)- spain. Very sick but agreat Almodovar film

Mar adentro(the sea inside)spain

ladri di bicicleti(bycicle thieves)-italy

Cinema paradiso-italy

Malèna-italy. Monica bellucci just wow

Just a few i remember