Gilmore Island?

Maybe a stretch at this point, but 24 looked like a stud last year all through TC and his unfortunate injury in PS was one of the more critical factors that led to the Bills not having a winning season last year, IMO. CB1 is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL, and he has had two seasons where he started slow (once as a rookie and then after coming bacl from his injury playing with a club) but finished strong. This is a good article on him, I am optimistic - and having McLovin develop on the other side can only help his progression. Also, the fact that his DB coach is still here for continuity.

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 · 9h

Is Stephon Gilmore the next big thing at CB? He has the tools. Detailed breakdown of his game with some All-22 clips http://buildingtheherd.com/2014/05/23/breaking-down-buffalo-bills-cb-stephon-gilmore-all-22-analysis-of-the-talented-cornerback/ …

Nice find, Yolo. I've been singing Gilmore's praises since the day he was drafted, and I think he would've made that leap last year had it not been for the injury. Even when he was able to get back into the lineup, the club that he was forced to wear really limited what he was able to do. Let's face it, a big corners like Gilmore thrive when being able to get their hands on a WR right off the snap, and using a good jam to throw them off their intended route. This ability was completely negated when he first came back, and his tackling suffered as well. I full expect Gilmore to be one of a handful of true lock down corners in this league this season.

Nice find, Yolo. I've been singing Gilmore's praises since the day he was drafted, and I think he would've made that leap last year had it not been for the injury. Even when he was able to get back into the lineup, the club that he was forced to wear really limited what he was able to do. Let's face it, a big corners like Gilmore thrive when being able to get their hands on a WR right off the snap, and using a good jam to throw them off their intended route. This ability was completely negated when he first came back, and his tackling suffered as well. I full expect Gilmore to be one of a handful of true lock down corners in this league this season.

I recall in the Cincy game, they specifically targeted Gilmore on screen passes to AJ Green knowing full well that while he could cover deep OK with the club, he couldn't tackle. It was a great move by Cincy, and Pettine had to adjust but by the time he did the Bills were behind despite having very good offensive success on them. Another game we gave away.

He's got to stay healthy, and he's got to get himself comfortable playing bump & run again. When he plays loose like he did upon returning last year, his play suffers badly.

He does seem to improve as the season progresses, so I'm hoping that a full TC and season will help. If he can cut down on the # of times he turns his hips the wrong way that would help as well.

I do, however, think he'll be a very good player as long as he stays healthy though...whether or not he's shutdown material will depend on if he can accomplish the above IMO.

I recall in the Cincy game, they specifically targeted Gilmore on screen passes to AJ Green knowing full well that while he could cover deep OK with the club, he couldn't tackle. It was a great move by Cincy, and Pettine had to adjust but by the time he did the Bills were behind despite having very good offensive success on them. Another game we gave away.

Yep. It was painful to watch. And good strategy by Cincy. Tough to tackle AJ Green under normal circumstances, let alone while wearing that thing.

I am hoping Gilmore developes, but I have not seen the play that deserves all the hype he has been getting for two years from the Bills. Yep, he was a #1 pick, and has played well at times, but he didn't do much last year...and his rookie year was overrated by the Bills PR machine trying to sell us on him. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him, and he does make plays sometimes. But, no Island status, not anywhere near it yet. Now, hard to believe, but it took McKelvin 4 years in the league to figure it out...and he is finally doing what is expected of a CB.....hoping Gilmore is a little faster on the learning curve, but not so sure of that based on the two years we have seen. Good luck to him and the Bills this year.

He seems to be a very focused and hard worker, not a big talker. I follow him on Twitter and he is obsessed with film study, training and eating healthy and yoga (trying to avoid injury). I also remember when they asked Spurrier at the combine if he thought Clowney was hard worker and he responded something to the effect of he was OK, but was no Stephon Gilmore. He seems like a quiet kid but he is definitely putting in the work.

He seems to be a very focused and hard worker, not a big talker. I follow him on Twitter and he is obsessed with film study, training and eating healthy and yoga (trying to avoid injury). I also remember when they asked Spurrier at the combine if he thought Clowney was hard worker and he responded something to the effect of he was OK, but was no Stephon Gilmore. He seems like a quiet kid but he is definitely putting in the work.

These seem like attributes that will turn potential into results.

I am hoping Gilmore developes, but I have not seen the play that deserves all the hype he has been getting for two years from the Bills. Yep, he was a #1 pick, and has played well at times, but he didn't do much last year...and his rookie year was overrated by the Bills PR machine trying to sell us on him. As a season ticket holder, I have seen him, and he does make plays sometimes. But, no Island status, not anywhere near it yet. Now, hard to believe, but it took McKelvin 4 years in the league to figure it out...and he is finally doing what is expected of a CB.....hoping Gilmore is a little faster on the learning curve, but not so sure of that based on the two years we have seen. Good luck to him and the Bills this year.

completely agree

Maybe a stretch at this point, but 24 looked like a stud last year all through TC and his unfortunate injury in PS was one of the more critical factors that led to the Bills not having a winning season last year, IMO. CB1 is one of the most difficult positions to transition to the NFL, and he has had two seasons where he started slow (once as a rookie and then after coming bacl from his injury playing with a club) but finished strong. This is a good article on him, I am optimistic - and having McLovin develop on the other side can only help his progression. Also, the fact that his DB coach is still here for continuity.

Rob Quinn @RQUINN619 · 9h

Is Stephon Gilmore the next big thing at CB? He has the tools. Detailed breakdown of his game with some All-22 clips http://buildingthehe...rback/ …

He is a the real thing for shutdown corners!

Go Bills!

Way way too premature IMO.

Unless that's the island where you play 10 yards off every wideout. And Mark Sanchez is your daddy.

Are we referring to his general style of play or that one game against KC last year? If it's the latter, then yeah, that was an issue. If it's the former...well...no. The link in the OP had some nice examples that defy the "cushion crusade".

Strongly disagree. If after 2 years you're not a pro bowler, you should get cut. Next man up!

Eric Decker tho!

I like Decker but he is exactly the type of receiver Gilmore should dominate. I'd worry more about small, quick wrs against him.

Strongly disagree. If after 2 years you're not a pro bowler, you should get cut. Next man up!

I like Decker but he is exactly the type of receiver Gilmore should dominate. I'd worry more about small, quick wrs against him.

He had problems with Antonio Brown.

LOL @ the thread title.

When teams see Gilmore in man to man they attack him.

That was the plan with Gilmore when matched up to Stephen Hill in his opening game and teams have continued to pick on this guy throughout his career because he is easily exposed.

You mean in Week 1 of his rookie season; the worst game of his career? Nice cherry-picking.

Perhaps you didn't notice that he went the final 11 weeks of his rookie season without allowing a TD, including facing WRs like Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson?

I'm going to go ahead and call hyperbole alert here.

Also, from the article in the OP:

In his first five games back from the injury, Gilmore surrendered 20 receptions on 31 targets (64.5%), one touchdown, while failing to record an interception and batted away just two passes, while allowing quarterbacks to post a 95.8 passer rating when targeting him.

In the last six games of the year, Gilmore allowed 20-of-45 targets to be caught (44.4%) and zero touchdowns, while intercepting two passes and defending eight more. Quarterbacks put up a 48.1 passer rating when targeting him in that span.

LOL @ the thread title.

When teams see Gilmore in man to man they attack him.

That was the plan with Gilmore when matched up to Stephen Hill in his opening game and teams have continued to pick on this guy throughout his career because he is easily exposed.

The Bandit already undressed it, but wow, what a terrible take.

This guy has been exposed by many teams other than the Jets. He is not even close to that calibre. The Browns, 49ers, Colts, Seahawks, Dolphins have picked on this guy with great success.

Not to mention all the holding penalties this guy gets.

He is not even close to an elite CB right now.

The Bandit already undressed it, but wow, what a terrible take.

Not very convincing. Bandit is dismissing his first year and half and cherry picking a small sample size. His entire body of work so far in the NFL is not even close to being at an elite level.

Don't forget we are under a new scheme this year that will not be beneficial to his agressive style. A lot of the sucess with the secondary last year was because of the great pressure with the scheme from Pettine.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

This guy has been exposed by many teams other than the Jets. He is not even close to that calibre. The Browns, 49ers, Colts, Seahawks, Dolphins have picked on this guy with great success.

Not to mention all the holding penalties this guy gets.

He is not even close to an elite CB right now.

Stats/video/clips/blog posts, etc. or some type of info with which you can back this up would be nice. I did notice, however, that practically every game you picked came from early in his rookie season. The two exceptions--Indy and Seattle--are fantastically overstated when you look at the numbers.

I'll preempt any reciprocal request with this:

http://presnapreads....-buffalo-bills/

http://presnapreads....ankingsroundup/

Edited by thebandit27

Stats/video/clips/blog posts, etc. or some type of info with which you can back this up would be nice.

I'll preempt any reciprocal request with this:

http://presnapreads....-buffalo-bills/

http://presnapreads....ankingsroundup/

You just proved my point that he struggled against all these teams. Those were just off the top of my head...I'm sure there are more.

he did play with one arm for most of last year.

Yeah. But he was bad in his rookie year and teams picked on him. Got hurt and struggled for a bit. Then there was small sample near the end of last year that was above average and everybody wants to crown this guy the next Revis.

Not very convincing. Bandit is dismissing his first year and half and cherry picking a small sample size. His entire body of work so far in the NFL is not even close to being at an elite level.

Don't forget we are under a new scheme this year that will not be beneficial to his agressive style. A lot of the sucess with the secondary last year was because of the great pressure with the scheme from Pettine.

I dismissed his first year-and-a-half how? I pointed out to you that he went the final 11 games of his rookie season without allowing a TD. Are we expecting him to never allow a completion at all?

I also pointed out the vast difference between his first 5 games returning from injury (and playing with a club) and his final 6 games. If you define that as "dismissing", I'm not sure there's a discussion to be had here.

Yeah. But he was bad in his rookie year. Got hurt and struggled then there was short sample near the end of last year that was above average and everybody wants to crown this guy the next Revis.

11 games, zero TDs...I gave you the numbers and the details in a link. Is there some reason you've decided not to look at it impartially?

You just proved my point that he struggled against all these teams. Those were just off the top of my head...I'm sure there are more.

I would love to know what content in this post "proved your point"...please provide some type of logic behind your blanket statements.

Pettine was comfortable sending so much pressure constantly because he felt good about both Gilmore and McKelvin holding up in man coverage. Especially during the second half of the season when Gilmore was healthy. He was man-on-man with the other team's #1 every single down. Pettine got a head coaching job out of it.

LOL @ Bandit. This is taken from your links trying to prove your point. You proved my point.

Gilmore struggled in his debut as a professional. He gave up some easy receptions to Stephen Hill early on, one in off coverage and one when Hill bounced off of his aggressive coverage. On every snap across from each other, Gilmore and Hill were enjoying an all-or-nothing matchup. When Hill was free, he was free, when Gilmore won the battle, he wasn’t an option for his quarterback.

The biggest play between the two came at the start of the second quarter, when Hill beat him for a touchdown.

He was beaten three times, once when he turned the wrong way on a short slant, the other when Greg Little’s hesitation caused him to bite on a fake outside when Little was going inside and another when Mohamed Massaquoi’s quick feet allowed him to win on a slant at the line of scrimmage.

Gilmore primarily stayed on the right side of the secondary, moving inside to the slot twice when the 49ers brought two receivers to one side. He gave up a curl route to Randy Moss early, as he looked to run down the sideline too soon, before Michael Crabtree took advantage of the defensive backs swapping assignments in man coverage to get free down the sideline. Crabtree showed off excellent feet on a slant route to lose Gilmore again, before a blown assignment from the young cornerback afforded Crabtree an easy touchdown reception down the sideline.

Colts Game

8 Failed coverages.

Little-known Jordan White gave Gilmore the most problems in this game. White ran some very crisp routes to create space underneath on two occasions, but only Jeremy Kerley could get anything off him on other occasions. Kerley ran a double move underneath to create space outside when Gilmore pulled him back for the defensive pass-interference penalty. He also caught a deep-ball against him, but Gilmore’s coverage forced a perfect throw from Mark Sanchez.

In the Miami Game that link shows that 6 out of 15 were failed coverages.

Your link has given me pretty good perspective to what I watched on tv.

This was HUGE coaching FAIL on Pettine's part having a guy out there on defense that can't tackle playing with one hand. That, and the OT punt return, and trying to throw a pass for a TD on 4th and 1 with the only guys going out being a FB and Tackle eligible probably cost us the game.

Coaching (or lack thereof).