Boycott Bon Jovi

Haters gonna hate. I personally like his music. Livin' on a prayer? You give love a bad name?

Those are classic.

Jovi has a few good tunes. Barely. Lay Your Hands on Me is a good tune but that's about it. His music has not stood the test of time unlike a few 80's bands, including Guns n Roses, Cinderella and, to a lesser extent, Motley Crue. I'm really surprised that you still like Livin on a Prayer though. That song long ago joined the ranks of Don't Stop Believing as tunes that people find ironic/amusing/"awesome" that deliver cheap pops when played by lazy DJ's in corporate settings such as giant sports arenas. Bon Jovi is the very living embodiment of corporate rock and the complete opposite of what rock n roll is supposed to be about. Hence, wanting to take a sports team from a real rock n roll city with a real rock n roll fan base and tailgate scene and move them to a giant metropolis that doesn't care about football whatsoever to make a few extra bucks when he is already a multi millionaire. I literally hate him.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jovi has a few good tunes. Barely. Lay Your Hands on Me is a good tune but that's about it. His music has not stood the test of time unlike a few 80's bands, including Guns n Roses, Cinderella and, to a lesser extent, Motley Crue. I'm really surprised that you still like Livin on a Prayer though. That song long ago joined the ranks of Don't Stop Believing as tunes that people find ironic/amusing/"awesome" that deliver cheap pops when played by lazy DJ's in corporate settings such as giant sports arenas. Bon Jovi is the very living embodiment of corporate rock and the complete opposite of what rock n roll is supposed to be about. Hence, wanting to take a sports team from a real rock n roll city with a real rock n roll fan base and tailgate scene and move them to a giant metropolis that doesn't care about football whatsoever to make a few extra bucks when he is already a multi millionaire. I literally hate him.

Quick check in the internet says he was the top grossing band tour in the world in 2013. Grossed 259.5 million.

Quick check in the internet says he was the top grossing band tour in the world in 2013. Grossed 259.5 million.

Gross ticket sales are in any way related to musical acumen? Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are pretty close to cementing her status among the greats, then.

He's written some songs with melody and staying power, but musically and lyrically this dude is just as basic as they come. He's worked hard at becoming a money-making power, but if it was ever about music for JBJ, it ceased to be so a long time ago.

Gross ticket sales are in any way related to musical acumen? Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are pretty close to cementing her status among the greats, then.

He's written some songs with melody and staying power, but musically and lyrically this dude is just as basic as they come. He's worked hard at becoming a money-making power, but if it was ever about music for JBJ, it ceased to be so a long time ago.

No, but no one is arguing that...

The poster said the guy's music has not stood the test of time. But the millions of people who bought all those tickets prove that statement false.

No, but no one is arguing that...

The poster said the guy's music has not stood the test of time. But the millions of people who bought all those tickets prove that statement false.

See, I feel like they just prove that he's good at making money and duping people out of theirs. Every time someone chooses to remember the 80s for JBJ over Talking Heads, a small puppy dies.

Law & Order SVU had better ratings than The Wire did. What's your point? Does his music sound good to you? Do you like the song, Have a Nice Day? Are you aware that the dude wears turtleneck sweaters when he performs?

The Stones played at the Ralph once. Maybe Jagger could buy the Bills for his great granddaughter.

Sheep, baa baa!

Taylor Swift is incredibly talented but that is for another thread. To your other point, yeah- he is a founding father of soulless corporate rock, paving the way for bands such as Matchbox 20 and Buffalo's own Goo Goo Dolls.

Being a musician and playing almost every kind of music you can think of, I really get a laugh out of people who say so-n-so's music sucks. You people do realize that music is an art form and is completely suggestive. This is the reason shows like American Idol and the Voice are complete nonsense. There are 2 types of music, the kind you like and the kind you don't. Doesn't even matter if the music is played off key. If you like it, it's good. If you don't it's bad. That said, anybody that is threating my family (Bills nation) I boycott.

The Stones played at the Ralph once. Maybe Jagger could buy the Bills for his great granddaughter.

I was there. If I recall correctly, it was 1980 or 1981. I remember spending the night in front of a Record Theatre in college town when I was at Cornell to get tickets.