No QB

mannc

don't really understand not keepng extra 5th rounder and taking a chance 0n aaron Murry. Don't understand not taking any other QB. All other good teams and even mediocres ones seem to do this if good value is there. Cinn ca do it, NE can do it, Jets can do it yet we don't want to?? Why? because evena 4th or 5th rounder will look better than our manuel guy and embarrass him being the chiosen one???

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Bills recent history when it comes to the QB position?

And the Bills not so recent history when it comes to the QB position?

Poke all the fun you want at other organizations, but...our closet is full.

Oh, I fully agree. I just don't think the model of QB stability that we should be basing ourselves around should be the Jets, as the previous poster had. In fact, they are a case study of reactionary QB acquisition.

Sanchez took them to two AFC championship games, but was very clearly not taking them over the hump. So in 2012, they brought in Tim Tebow. Tebow got relegated to a Wildcat QB.

In 2013 Tebow was gone. They took Geno in the second round and danced around the issue of who would start through the entire training camp, even as it looked obvious to outsiders that even though Sanchez actually looked decent, Geno was the starter in the mind of the staff. Geno went on to have a turbulent year, at times looking really, really good...and at times he got absolutely mauled and was repeatedly benched.

Now, in 2014, Geno has been named the starter...while they brought in Mike Vick, who the Eagles offloaded to prevent a QB controversy of their own. Vick has a history of looking just good enough to think he can do something special, and then becoming a turnover machine right before he gets injured. While things might play out well...I personally doubt it. They've been trying slot machine a starting QB, and now in their third year I don't think anyone is saying that they are particularly better off at QB.

I'm happy we didn't go for a QB. Whaley made some gutsy calls with the trades, and his chips are all in. Instead of drafting another QB, I've posted several times we should have picked up last year, or this year a veteran QB to back up EJ and dump Tuel.

I see Kyle Ortin wanting to retire from the Cowboys. Not him, but a guy like him is what I was hoping we had as an insurance policy. Not a rookie as that doesn't help EJ.

I'm not bashing Whaley as I think he made some excellent calls including the Watkins trade. I must be in the minority, but I loved it. I only hope we're ok with Hughes playing DE opposite Mario. Great LB picks. We are now finally committed to stopping the run. How much fun will it be to see us stuff the Jets, Pats, etc.

Lastly, with the Graham pick up, and now our CB pick up, you know one of them will be moved to safety.

Both Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis are further along than any of the "late round flyer" guys.

By that logic, why draft anyone? Our current players are further along than anyone we could draft. Why draft Watkins when Stevie is further along than him? Sometimes it's about potential and constantly trying to improve your team.

as can any player. Freddie was hurt last year, Spiller was hurt last year, Stevie was hurt last year........

Correct, which is probably why they went out and traded for another RB option. It's called improving the position. But the Bills don't want to with the QB position.

Is there only one QB on the roster? You obviously don't like the backup plan, but OBD definitely has one.

I think we can both agree that neither backup will ever develop into anything. EJ is hardly a sure thing and also has an extensive injury history. Drafting a QB to develop and give EJ some competition seems like a better plan. But hey, OBD clearly knows what they're doing.

I think we can both agree that neither backup will ever develop into anything. EJ is hardly a sure thing and also has an extensive injury history. Drafting a QB to develop and give EJ some competition seems like a better plan. But hey, OBD clearly knows what they're doing.

I don't think a preseason knee injury that resurfaced in week 14 combined with a direct shot in week 5 qualifies as an "extensive injury history". He also never missed time in high school or at Florida State.

I think it would be more appropriate to say that avoiding contact with the knee is key for him; the other statement was a bit misleading.

It sure as hell wasn't historically deep WRT the QB position.

I agree. My point was that, just because certain QB prospects slipped to the 5th round this year does not mean they suck. There are lots of guys who were not drafted at all this year who would have gone in rounds 6-7 last year.

I don't think a preseason knee injury that resurfaced in week 14 combined with a direct shot in week 5 qualifies as an "extensive injury history". He also never missed time in high school or at Florida State.

I think it would be more appropriate to say that avoiding contact with the knee is key for him; the other statement was a bit misleading.

He didn't?

From Draft Profile:

In 2012, got knocked out of Florida game with a head injury but started all 14 games that season. In 2011, separated non-throwing shoulder in the 2011 Oklahoma game. Missed the Clemson game the next week and did not start against Wake Forest the following week. Also fractured fibula in left leg during the Champs Sports Bowl that season. In 2009, missed spring season with a broken index finger suffered on the first day of practice.

Edited by John Cocktosten

Once again, this is YOUR OPINION. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it is fact. Thad is a capable back up as he showed last year. Great draft by Whaley and OBD and you still found a way to complain.

Of course it is my opinion, and it might end up being wrong, just like all the other opinions on this board, including your opinion that it was a great draft. I thought this was a place for discussion.

For what it's worth, I liked this draft, especially adding o-line depth, but I think OBD continues to have a blind spot WRT the QB position. And I probably would not have traded up, even though I think Watkins is going to be a really good player.

OMG - now there is no other QB that could come in and do better than EJ/Thad/Tuel....so the conversation on QB should be closed and anyone tha tdisagrees is a whiny b-tch? Everywhere else in the NFL, unless there's a true franchise incumbent starter, the QB position is a competition. Here we spare feelings and protect our 1st rounder.

OK.....let's throw a scenario out there.....Preseason Game 3: EJ goes down with a knee injury and will mis the first 4-6 weeks of the season.

NOW WHAT? (cue the EJ excuses, FO excuses and Thad looked pretty good except for all the fumbling threads)

He didn't?

From Draft Profile:

In 2012, got knocked out of Florida game with a head injury but started all 14 games that season. In 2011, separated non-throwing shoulder in the 2011 Oklahoma game. Missed the Clemson game the next week and did not start against Wake Forest the following week. Also fractured fibula in left leg during the Champs Sports Bowl that season. In 2009, missed spring season with a broken index finger suffered on the first day of practice.

I meant that he didn't miss a start; apparently I missed the 2011 shoulder issue.

Thanks for the correction.

You can keep minimizing it but I'd call it extensive.

You're entitled to your opinion; mine is that you're overstating it.

Regardless, being healthy is the biggest key (along with improvement in lower body mechanics and pocket awareness). Ability/talent sure isn't the issue with EJ.

Would have loved to have Murray. If we sink with EJ, which is very likely, and have no number one pick next draft, we're in big trouble unless we sign a big money free agent for next year.

Why is it very likely?

Anyone else unhappy that Whaley did not see fit to take a late round flyer on a QB? There were lots available, including many that were expected to go sooner, such as Mettenberger, Murray, McCarron, and Boyd. I think this is a decision we will regret. Once again, OBD neglecting the most important position in sports.

Not unhappy at all.

Unlike some people on the board I like our backups. Thad didnt play bad IMO when he did play and Tuel played better than anyone expected vs the Chiefs last year.

Really tho I'm more worried about EJ than our backups.

By that logic, why draft anyone? Our current players are further along than anyone we could draft. Why draft Watkins when Stevie is further along than him? Sometimes it's about potential and constantly trying to improve your team.

Bad analogy. Sammy is miles ahead of Stevie athletically.