What could they have done in the draft

There's a ton of negativity out there as it pertains to trading for Sammy Watkins, and what the Bills could have done instead. I thought this would be a good opportunity to break down where they ended up in the early rounds of the draft versus where they potentially could have been.

The first suggestion is that they still trade up with Cleveland, but take Khalil Mack instead of Sammy Watkins at #4. While my initial inclination was that they should have done exactly that, there's hindsight to suggest otherwise. Many would have stated that Stevie being traded was a foregone conclusion. I don't think there's any doubt that Kouandjio is the right pick in the second round regardless of whether they picked Mack or Watkins with that #4 pick. So this would have left them in the lurch in the rd round where they would have still taken Preston Brown or having to reach for another WR. Their only other WR visitor was Cody Latimer, and he was long gone by their pick at #73. WR possibilities there would have been Josh Huff, Donte Moncrief, and John Brown. None of those guys are anything better than slot receivers and then they would have been stuck (still) without a true #1.

The second suggestion is that the still trade up but for Jake Matthews. This wouldn't be a bad play as Kouandjio wouldn't be needed in the second and they could have turned around and taken Cody Latimer without having to spend next years pick. While this might have been the best option on paper, I wonder if Matthews might state his desire to play LT in the big leagues and whether that would have thrown the Bills into a situation where chemistry in the locker room starts to break down.

The third suggestion was to stay put at the #9 pick. They don't lose next years first rounder, but then what would they be able to do at #9? Anthony Barr really isn't an option. Buffalo didn't prioritize getting another OLB until very very late in the draft (6th round). This would have left them with Eric Ebron or perhaps Taylor Lewan. The former still leaves them picking Kouandjio in the 2nd and still having no #1 WR. The latter would leave them with Cody Latimer.

When all is said and done, I think this was a well executed draft. The alternative to Watkins would have left this team in the lurch or with average talent at other key positions. The more ways I look at it, the more I like what they did.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton of negativity out there as it pertains to trading for Sammy Watkins, and what the Bills could have done instead. I thought this would be a good opportunity to break down where they ended up in the early rounds of the draft versus where they potentially could have been.

The first suggestion is that they still trade up with Cleveland, but take Khalil Mack instead of Sammy Watkins at #4. While my initial inclination was that they should have done exactly that, there's hindsight to suggest otherwise. Many would have stated that Stevie being traded was a foregone conclusion. I don't think there's any doubt that Kouandjio is the right pick in the second round regardless of whether they picked Mack or Watkins with that #4 pick. So this would have left them in the lurch in the rd round where they would have still taken Preston Brown or having to reach for another WR. Their only other WR visitor was Cody Latimer, and he was long gone by their pick at #73. WR possibilities there would have been Josh Huff, Donte Moncrief, and John Brown. None of those guys are anything better than slot receivers and then they would have been stuck (still) without a true #1.

The second suggestion is that the still trade up but for Jake Matthews. This wouldn't be a bad play as Kouandjio wouldn't be needed in the second and they could have turned around and taken Cody Latimer without having to spend next years pick. While this might have been the best option on paper, I wonder if Matthews might state his desire to play LT in the big leagues and whether that would have thrown the Bills into a situation where chemistry in the locker room starts to break down.

The third suggestion was to stay put at the #9 pick. They don't lose next years first rounder, but then what would they be able to do at #9? Anthony Barr really isn't an option. Buffalo didn't prioritize getting another OLB until very very late in the draft (6th round). This would have left them with Eric Ebron or perhaps Taylor Lewan. The former still leaves them picking Kouandjio in the 2nd and still having no #1 WR. The latter would leave them with Cody Latimer.

When all is said and done, I think this was a well executed draft. The alternative to Watkins would have left this team in the lurch or with average talent at other key positions. The more ways I look at it, the more I like what they did.

I would have hated a trade up for Mathews.....and Mathews was actually my pick before the draft.

To trade up for a RT that high would have had several problem following it....

- You dont take a RT that high

- You only do it if your moving Glenn to RT

- I dont want that to happen

The way this worked out they got what might have been the BEST player in the draft....they ended up getting a legit RT in the 2nd.....there are no chemistry issues on the team Glenn is still clearly the LT

The most obvious thing they could have done was to pick one of the 2d tier WRs at #9. Or they could have taken Lewan and still drafted a good WR in the 2d. It was a deep draft at both positions.

The big problem arises if EJ bombs this year and they are unable to draft a QB with a top 10 pick that is owned by the Browns. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

It's been my take all along that the only player the Bills should trade up for is Sammy Watkins -- they did that and I'm OK with it. I am a little concerned that Kouandjio has a high bust potential - hop am wrong. I just don't know about Brown, but will give him e benefit of the doubt. I love the Cockrell pick. Overall, some risk, but a good draft.

The most obvious thing they could have done was to pick one of the 2d tier WRs at #9. Or they could have taken Lewan and still drafted a good WR in the 2d. It was a deep draft at both positions.

The big problem arises if EJ bombs this year and they are unable to draft a QB with a top 10 pick that is owned by the Browns. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

I was worried about the pick as well but the more I think about it, it doesn't really mean they won't be able to move on to another QB if they really want to.

A can't miss prospect at QB (top 3 pick) is 1) unlikely to even exist next year similar to the past couple years. Blake Bortles was taken at 3 but he isn't a Luck or Newton and 2) the Bills would need to go something like 3-13 next season to even be in a position to draft said top flight QB prospect. After that - they are just prospects and it comes down to fit, talent, progression etc.

They still have their RD 2 pick if they want a prospect next year or can explore free agency/trade.

I would take Taylor Lewan at 9 . Sammy is a future HOF er, but I have to give our QB time.

I think 98% of this board doesn't recognize the difference between an elite OT, and a second, third rounder. I've heard many analysts state that if Lewan had declared in 2013 he would have been the first overall pick, as he graded better then Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson.

Lets face facts here, as the Bills went "all in" with some gambles in this years draft. Is Watkins going to be that much better then Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr? Because if not they really screwed themselves for next year. They could have stayed at #9, drafted OBJ, Lewan, OT Zach Martin, TE Eric Ebron, LB Anthony Barr.

The #2 pick in Cyrus Kouandjio is a "manster'. half man, half monster. 6'7'' 322, and should block the sun on the right side of that O line. What remains to be seen is how effort he puts into his game, and if he steps up he could be a viable force at RT. At this point he has more promise then polish.

Don't get me wrong here, as I think the team did get better in some areas. Just not so sure that jettisoning Stevie Johnson was the smartest move

This!

This Bills FO are gambling that EJ develops enough to get them to a winning season. He may or may not, as many QB's take 3-4 years to fully develop.

No complaints at all here...coming into the draft they had zero, absolutely zero offensive players that opposing teams have to gameplan against.

If they stood pat at 9 and took Beckham, Martin, Ebron, etc., then IMO they'd still have zero players that opposing teams have to gameplan against.

Instead, they went and got Watkins; a guy that (by all appearances) will keep defensive coordinators awake at night. I consider getting a starting RT at 44 a huge success as well. If Cyril Richardson turns out to regain his 2012 form, then they also got a potential knockout at LG for a 5th rounder...icing on the cake.

Would I like to have all of the above plus have kept the 2015 first round pick? Yeah, who wouldn't? Point is, that wasn't going to happen, and what they did was (IMO) optimize their ability to get a game-changing offensive player while also bolstering their OL and adding defensive depth to key areas like ILB and CB.

Nice work Whaley!

I think 98% of this board doesn't recognize the difference between an elite OT, and a second, third rounder. I've heard many analysts state that if Lewan had declared in 2013 he would have been the first overall pick, as he graded better then Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Lane Johnson.

Lets face facts here, as the Bills went "all in" with some gambles in this years draft. Is Watkins going to be that much better then Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr? Because if not they really screwed themselves for next year. They could have stayed at #9, drafted OBJ, Lewan, OT Zach Martin, TE Eric Ebron, LB Anthony Barr.

The #2 pick in Cyrus Kouandjio is a "manster'. half man, half monster. 6'7'' 322, and should block the sun on the right side of that O line. What remains to be seen is how effort he puts into his game, and if he steps up he could be a viable force at RT. At this point he has more promise then polish.

Don't get me wrong here, as I think the team did get better in some areas. Just not so sure that jettisoning Stevie Johnson was the smartest move

This!

This Bills FO are gambling that EJ develops enough to get them to a winning season. He may or may not, as many QB's take 3-4 years to fully develop.

There were plenty of good WR prospects in the draft this year, but Watkins was the only one with that 'elite' status. I'm no expert and will be the first to admit I have a hard time discerning the difference between his skills and the other top WRs. But, if he is the elite wideout many say he could be, than IMHO he is absolutely worth the trade up. Look at the impact that current elite wideouts (Johnson, Green, Jones, Fitzgerald) have on the game. Having a threat like that changes the entire approach of opposing defenses, which should especially come in handy considering how much Hackett likes to run the ball. Time will tell, but if Sammy is the stud many are projecting, then the offense should reach another level entirely... And yes, as previously stated, this is all dependant on EJ's progress

Edited by billsgpr88

I think Mack (and keeping Stevie) would have been the better choice with the picks they had.

I think Ebron staying at #9 would have been fine if you wanted a pass catcher.

I'm really excited about Watkins, but I don't think he steps in to be amazing this year (Calvin Johnson as a rookie under 800yds, Dez Bryant under 600yds), and by the time he gets his year 2 impact he will have cost that second 1st rounder we give up. I hope he blows expectations out of the water, and is a key to getting us to the playoffs this year, and build a core of talent for the future. But I have a hard time seeing him be enough better than Stevie over the first couple years to make up for a difference maker like Mack.

The hope at the moment certainly is that an improved team means that the pick we give up is in the 20s. I think I like the trade up if it is in the 20s, can live with it if it is in the teens, and obviously hate it if it turns out to be a top 10 pick (meaning the impact of Watkins didn't lift our team, and also meaning additional value).

I happen to think the best football player on the board when we picked at #4 was Mack, and am always for taking the better player, but Watkins is special and will make a difference over the next five years. It is just harder to have that immediate difference felt in year 1 as a WR compared to a LB, so not only a slightly inferior player, but one at a position that will have a harder time impacting the fate of the coming season.

With everything surrounding EJ, I don't think he will fail, maybe not succeed...either way, he has two more years.

Read many comments that this was a bad deal because if EJ has a terrible year, they don't have a 1st round pick next year to go get another QB. More than likely unless he were to suffer a career ending injury or his play is absolutely horrific, he'll be back for a 3rd year no matter what. Likely what will happen is they'll bring in another Offense Coord who supposedly will have the answers. Another bad year could then see replacing him in 2016 draft, but unlikely they get rid of him after two years no matter what.

While I fully expect Manuel to be a better QB this next year.....I really dont think they will be looking to replace him next year. Soonest is 2016

EJ Manuel......that piece of clay that needs molding

This!

Except that Lewan has been described as "quirky". He has had serious run ins with the law. Yes I know so has Henderson but he is a 7th round flyer pick not a first rounder. It just could be that they did not trust Lewan.

There were plenty of good WR prospects in the draft this year, but Watkins was the only one with that 'elite' status. I'm no expert and will be the first to admit I have a hard time discerning the difference between his skills and the other top WRs. But, if he is the elite wideout many say he could be, than IMHO he is absolutely worth the trade up. Look at the impact that current elite wideouts (Johnson, Green, Jones, Fitzgerald) have on the game. Having a threat like that changes the entire approach of opposing defenses, which should especially come in handy considering how much Hackett likes to run the ball. Time will tell, but if Sammy is the stud many are projecting, then the offense should reach another level entirely... And yes, as previously stated, this is all dependant on EJ's progress

Who is "Jones"?

Kuoandjio was regarded as a first rounder this time last year; Top 10 pick. He fell due to poor play and a concern that he has an arthritic knee. Well Dr. James Andrews went out of his way to write a letter to all 32 teams saying Kuoandjio's knee is fine. That seems like a very strange thing for the world's foremost expect on NFL knee's to do if it were in any way untrue.

In my mind the Bills got two Top 10 picks in 2014. Watkins and Kuoandjio, prior to the draft a Watkins Kuoandjio draft seemed outlandish and too good to be true well know if is reality.

I don't understand anything other than a reaction of "OMG the Bills just won the 2014 draft."

And that is before they got a falling Cyril Richardson who was regarded as an easy 3rd rounder in February.

The biggest needs were RT, Run Stuffing LBs, LG. If Kuoandjo, Preston, and Richardson can all play well in 2014 you just checked off three top needs on the team.

As far as the trade up. OBD is taking a risk. Demitroff summed up his trade for JJ and Bills trade for Watkins by saying, to paraphrase, this a league of takers if you sit back and wait for what is given to you, you will never win.

The Bills have been sitting back and making due with what has been given to them for awhile now. They went out and took Watkins, Mike Williams, and Bryce Brown. Watkins is a player you can lineup anywhere on the field Outside, inside even take handoffs and possible score. Watkins is not the Megatron #1 that will line up in the same place most of the time. Watkins will be motioned and moved everywhere to get a mismatch. It will be Williams that will be lined up Outside as the X and Woods as the Y with Watkins used as the new style "offensive weapon". This is going to make fans uneasy, but it doesn't matter, if he is able to consistently get double digit TDs.

As far as staying at #9 Ebron is not a special tight end he is not freakishly tall, fast, or has great hands. I never understood the hype. That would have been wasting the 2014 #9 overall pick.

Leewan's off the field might have been the issue. He is a plug and play RT but do you want Jerry !@#$ing Sullivan righting an article about how Lewan threatened to rape a young woman that thought she was raped again? It's just a bad PR move when you can get a RT in the second.

The rest available at #9 were as good as anyone available at #20 and no one would have been willing to trade up to draft any of those guys. Staying at #9 would be more of the same and making due with what is given to you. Nothing special.

It's a gamble and we know the points play out that the Bills win the trade if the Bills pick in the 20s. More importantly the Bills win because they are trying to win and win now and not just sitting back and making due with what they are given. They're not hoping someone falls to them in the 2015 draft in May 2014. They are trying to win now. Slow and steady gets stepped on in the NFL.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I would take Taylor Lewan at 9 . Sammy is a future HOF er, but I have to give our QB time.

So...let me get this straight you would pass on a hall of famer for a right tackle?

And we addressed tackle in the 2nd round with a guy who might ultimately have a better career than lewan

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid