WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

I find it funny that people are quick to ship out the only WR on this team that has shown capable to repeat above average skill at the WR positoin in the NFL in favor of medicore to average small sample sizes (Goodwin and Woods) , a question mark in Williams, and TJ Graham who is perhaps one of the worst WR's in the game.

When we add talent in Watkins why can't we keep our good players currently on the roster instead of trying to replace them? This move seems kind of ass backwards considering the FO myopic goals as of late.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny that people are quick to ship out the only WR on this team that has shown capable to repeat above average skill at the WR positoin in the NFL in favor of medicore to average small sample sizes (Goodwin and Woods) , a question mark in Williams, and TJ Graham who is perhaps one of the worst WR's in the game.

When we add talent in Watkins why can't we continue to add? This move seems kind of ass backwards considering.

And he gets dumped on all the time, despite loving Buffalo and the fans.

It's just like Terrell Owens. He really enjoyed being here - but we can't help ourselves but to make !@#$s of ourselves and trash them.

In ten years how will we remember Steve Johnson? I mean this seriously, so I want answers from everyone. Is it going to be like a blink - Eric Moulds, a toe stub - Lee Evans, or what??

A few hours have set in and I am not saying anything no one else has but I have to say it, because damn it, I have an opinion and this is the internet.

• This does not make us a better team.
  • We have to wonder who else they want to bring in for WR. I am not comfortable going with pure youth and TJ Graham being the eldest WR on the roster.
  • TJ Graham is going to make the roster
  • This is hardly a surprise, I knew we would get Watkins and I knew we would ditch SJ13.
  • There is no excuse for trading him. He is more valuable then any pick in 2015. Any. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, even if that bird is only a pigeon.

lastly,

• SJ13 is not the Prom Queen, but he is the chick you take to the dance and have a great night with and end with only some under the shirt, from the front no bra boobage. SJ13 has been one of the best WR's in the league in the last 10 years.

Unless TJ Graham is a returner next year (which I doubt) I would bet a lot he is NOT on the team next year. We would be better off with someone down on our depth chart as the #5 (Easley is #6 for STs) or an UDFA.

TJ is NOT a NFL WR! He jumps to catch almost every ball. He can't play in this league!

They paid for his flight to San Francisco, but he dropped the ticket!

Funny!

When we add talent in Watkins why can't we keep our good players currently on the roster instead of trying to replace them? This move seems kind of ass backwards considering the FO myopic goals as of late.

I would agree and probably would the Bills if it weren't the half dozen games he's dropped or fumbled away during his career. I Know TBD and Coach Gailey were willing to look the other way. Seems Coach Marrone and Whaley aren't. Good for them.

SJ holds onto the 3rd down catch in 4th Q vs Patsies on opening day and doesn't fumble the one vs Falcons, and he's probably still a Bill.

The trading away picks does seem kindof against the Bills stated goal of building through the draft. Will be harder to to next year with only 6 picks and no first round pick.

How is trading your 4th or 5th WR hindering the ability to win now?!

I actually take back what I said (sorry, I'm loaded on wine in northern Italy). We got the pick back we gave up, and in essence got the best WR in this year's draft for next year's number one. And I will pistol whip the next person who says we gave up two number ones - you realize we got a number one with our trade up, yes?

I was just logging in to say this exactly! Check yer math, folks.

This really does make sense -- Williams is a 900-ish yard receiver if he's on his game and we don't have Drew Brees, so there just won't be enough passes to keep three 1000-ish yard receivers employed. And which one of them would be the first to complain about lack of passes coming his way??? Yeah.

Edited by nikuman

You guys still whining? We traded the guy that would have been paid over 8 mill to be the FOURTH as in #4 on our depth chart for what might be a 3rd rounder next year. Still fans over value average talent in Buffalo. Get rid of our 'good talent'? Stevie was average to anyone but Bills homers. Hell even WR needy San fran would only part with a 4th next year that might be a 3rd.

BTW at best he is the #3 WR on their roster. Look for them to draft a WR in this draft and that guy supplant Stevie as the #3 in SF by the end of the year.

how is Doug Whaley going to sit there and say we need to win NOW and then go and trade Stevie for a pick NEXT year?

I love Stevie Johnson, but his drop against the Falcons really harpooned the Bills 2013 season. The Bills entire team did not show up against Tampa the following week.

How huge would it have been for EJ Manuel to have another game winning drive under his belt? How could Manuel trust Stevie during crunch time again? Yes he did have the winning catch against the Panthers but that loss in Toronto was so crushing that I could imagine there might be a lingering QB/WR trust issue going into this season.

This is the best for both teams and for Stevie. I'll miss him greatly, but hey, it will be cool to see him again when the 49ers play the Bills in next year's Superbowl. Finally the matchup that was always expected, but never materialized in the early 90s. I'm serious, I can see this happening.

Anyone who is the least bit surprised by this has either not been following the Bill this off-season or is delusional in their SJ love.

He had 3 (barely) 1000 yard seasons (25 guys had one in 2013), but that was while he was essentially the only significant target--particularly in 2012. As soon as better (other) receivers arrived in 2013, his productivity predictably dropped. This was hastended by his injury issues.

Does anyone think SJ's 600-700 yards per season (projected with the Bills given his health and now even more signficant competition) will be missed--or not picked up by someone else? I predict without SJ, the Bills will have more yards passing than they have in years this season.

When they picked up Mike Williams, it was a signal of what was in store for SJ in Buffalo. Last night's picked louldy telegraphed the Bills plan to trade him. Why would they keep him as the most expensive WR on the roster?

Again, no one should be surprised he's out.

how is Doug Whaley going to sit there and say we need to win NOW and then go and trade Stevie for a pick NEXT year?

Mike Williams is Stevie Johnson's replacement (more of an upgrade than a dollar-for-a-buck, as well).

And, oh by the way, that kid Watkins is kinda good...

How is trading your 4th or 5th WR hindering the ability to win now?!

And this is from a 16 game sample size that produced average to below average production at the position (Woods and Goodwin) and comparing it to Johnson who was hurt all year. Williams who hasn't had a better career than Stevie and Watkins who hasn't played a down in the NFL.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'll miss SJ13. He made the losing fun.

BUT... He lost us games. He was not clutch. His routes were, well, his... This makes it tough for a QB. 3 1000+ seasons? meh. That is no biggie in a passing league. Chan and Fitz made Stevie when we had nothing else.

I do love him, love the enthusiasm, even love the antics. But I am ready for a winning culture above one rewards losing. Give the team to youth who will "own" winning instead of losing.

A few hours have set in and I am not saying anything no one else has but I have to say it, because damn it, I have an opinion and this is the internet.

• This does not make us a better team.
  • We have to wonder who else they want to bring in for WR. I am not comfortable going with pure youth and TJ Graham being the eldest WR on the roster.
  • TJ Graham is going to make the roster
  • This is hardly a surprise, I knew we would get Watkins and I knew we would ditch SJ13.
  • There is no excuse for trading him. He is more valuable then any pick in 2015. Any. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, even if that bird is only a pigeon.

lastly,

• SJ13 is not the Prom Queen, but he is the chick you take to the dance and have a great night with and end with only some under the shirt, from the front no bra boobage. SJ13 has been one of the best WR's in the league in the last 10 years.

While I respect your thoughts, I whole heartedly disagree with just about everything you wrote.

1. This DOES make us a better team. There isn't a GM in football that would choose Stevie over Watkins...not one, and thats with Watkins never playing a down. So take out your biased as a Bills fan, and its clear Watkins is the better choice. Plus, we have THREE young WR's that will only continue to develop with playing time. Stevie, who has peaked (as a guy who couldn't even break 1100 yards ever despite being the number 1 guy on a pass happy team frequently playing from behind) or nearly peaked with what he can do was only going to take snaps and reps away from them.

2. We do not need anyone else to be brought in at all at WR. Why would anyone think this? Woods showed he's a player last year and will only improve this year, especially with Watkins opposite him rather than 5 yard route Stevie. Goodwin also showed he's a player and IMO has every bit the ability to be everything Lee Evans was plus the ability to go over the middle. I actually think he has the potential to be as closer to a Steve Smith, but only time will tell. Then you have Mike Williams, who has already had better seasons than Stevies best season who is big, young, and has better hands. Add in Ramses Barden and Marcus Easley and you got our 6 WR's...we need no additional players.

3. No way TJ Graham makes the roster (barring injuries) over Barden and Easley...Easley is a lock for his ST play baring injury, and Barden has way more upside than Graham (who was brought in by a regime no longer here).

4. No excuse for trading him? How about him not being worth the contract he's being paid. How about how his presence would only stunt the growth of our future. How about if you take away all biased looks on him, he theoretically would be slotted as 5th on the depth chart. Watkins and Woods should start...Goodwin compliments them better as the 3rd because he can take the top off the D like no other. Williams rotates in as 3rd and 4th WR because he brings immense redzone potential, size, and great hands. Stevie and Woods are similar, and would not compliment each other well and Woods has way more upside as he is also a great route runner already with better hands and more play making ability.

So, while I respect your opinion, I can't agree with anything you said about the situation other than that it was not a surprise we wanted Watkins and wasn't a surprise we traded Stevie.

Anyone who is the least bit surprised by this has either not been following the Bill this off-season or is delusional in their SJ love.

He had 3 (barely) 1000 yard seasons (25 guys had one in 2013), but that was while he was essentially the only significant target--particularly in 2012. As soon as better (other) receivers arrived in 2013, his productivity predictably dropped. This was hastended by his injury issues.

Does anyone think SJ's 600-700 yards per season (projected with the Bills given his health and now even more signficant competition) will be missed--or not picked up by someone else? I predict without SJ, the Bills will have more yards passing than they have in years this season.

When they picked up Mike Williams, it was a signal of what was in store for SJ in Buffalo. Last night's picked louldy telegraphed the Bills plan to trade him. Why would they keep him as the most expensive WR on the roster?

Again, no one should be surprised he's out.

Here, here.