Public Opinion Poll on the Sammy Watkins Trade

Public Opinion on Sammy Watkins Trade  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the Sammy Watkins trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Why?

• Too expensive - the trade was one-sided
    • I don't like mortgaging the future
    • I think Sammy Watkins is overrated
    • He's worth it

Just wanted to get the pulse of TBD. Last night there was a lot on both sides.

I'm on the record as not liking the trade because (in my opinion) it was: too expensive; mortgaged the future of the team; and I don't think Sammy Watkins is worth it (overrated).

So where does the rest of TBD stand?

Edited by voodoo poonani

Just wanted to get the pulse of TBD. Last night there was a lot on both sides.

I'm on the record as not liking the trade because (in my opinion) it was: too expensive; mortgaged the future of the team; and I don't think Sammy Watkins is worth it (overrated).

So where does the rest of TBD stand?

WHAT?? Mortgage the future how? How long are people willing for the Bills to half-ass it? 14 years, man. 14. I’m glad Whaley and Brandon felt the urgency. No one knows a year out what the NFL draft will be in 2015. It could be a “weak” draft. Then what? What if EJ is great? If he’s not do you know for sure there’s a QB available in round one that is a round one QB? I recall many saying last year that this year’s QB’s would be so great. And now it doesn’t look like it. The Bills have a 2015 2nd round pick. Drew Brees and Andy Dalton were 2nd round picks. You like Colin Kaepernick? 2nd round. I didn’t know round one was the only place to get a QB.

I don’t know a damn thing about what might be available in 2015. I do know we have a proven, elite physical talent for the next five seasons at least, health permitting. And nobody can sit here and say the Bills didn’t need a player like that. Mortgage the future… Hell the future is now. Or did we forget about new ownership on its way? Or forget 14 years of nothing?

Edited by purple haze

they had all off-season to do their homework so you have to trust that they believe he is the difference maker we need on offense. to give up that much for him they better be certain that he is going to step on the field and be our #1 WR and a future pro-bowler. if he's our #2 or #3 receiver then he is going to be a bust. he has to be the difference maker that he was in college for this to work. so i'm excited to see how they use him and to see if he is as explosive at this level as he was in college

We've INVESTED (note difference between invest and traded for) two first round picks and a 4th rounder in this guy. For that price, he'd better be a force and elite. If he is, I'm okay. But sitting here now, I think we paid far too high a price. Our tallest starting caliber receiver is Stevie at 6'3". And we're likely to move him. I just don't get why we don't see the future. Wide outs are 6'4" & 6'5" and TE's are up to 6'8" and wicked fast. We seem to get guys who "play bigger than they are" instead of just getting big guys. (Spare me the James Hardy woes) WE have some good receivers in the six-foot range. With EJ's spotty accuracy, Evans, with his height, huge wingspan and target area, would have been the better pick and would have cost us a lot less. JMHO and not to rain on the parade.

From the NFL.com website, the "Negatives" on Watkins;

Production results heavily from a gimmicky offense. Routes could use some more polish. Does not consistently work the middle of the field. Could improve field awareness. Is still immature and could require some time to acclimate to an NFL playbook. Could stand to improve ball security and do a better job fielding punts.

These are not things that are going to help us win this year. Not to mention that precise few WRs, most not even drafted in the 1st round much less 1st WR overall, ever even log 1,000 yards. I fail to see how this is a "win now" scenario.

I know, I know, he makes everyone on the team at all 21 other starting positions better.

We've INVESTED (note difference between invest and traded for) two first round picks and a 4th rounder in this guy. For that price, he'd better be a force and elite. If he is, I'm okay. But sitting here now, I think we paid far too high a price. Our tallest starting caliber receiver is Stevie at 6'3". And we're likely to move him. I just don't get why we don't see the future. Wide outs are 6'4" & 6'5" and TE's are up to 6'8" and wicked fast. We seem to get guys who "play bigger than they are" instead of just getting big guys. (Spare me the James Hardy woes) WE have some good receivers in the six-foot range. With EJ's spotty accuracy, Evans, with his height, huge wingspan and target area, would have been the better pick and would have cost us a lot less. JMHO and not to rain on the parade.

There isn't one 6' tall WR that's come out over at least the last 15 years that's even come close to doing that. Not one.

WHAT?? Mortgage the future how? How long are people willing for the Bills to half-ass it? 14 years, man. 14. I’m glad Whaley and Brandon felt the urgency. No one knows a year out what the NFL draft will be in 2015. It could be a “weak” draft. Then what? What if EJ is great? If he’s not do you know for sure there’s a QB available in round one that is a round one QB? I recall many saying last year that this year’s QB’s would be so great. And now it doesn’t look like it. The Bills have a 2015 2nd round pick. Drew Brees and Andy Dalton were 2nd round picks. You like Colin Kaepernick? 2nd round. I didn’t know round one was the only place to get a QB.

I don’t know a damn thing about what might be available in 2015. I do know we have a proven, elite physical talent for the next five seasons at least, health permitting. And nobody can sit here and say the Bills didn’t need a player like that. Mortgage the future… Hell the future is now. Or did we forget about new ownership on its way? Or forget 14 years of nothing?

This. 100x this, but, alas, this board has been overrun by morons.

I Love the move. I dont care what the haters think .

They got a Jerry Rice type talent with this move. If they would have stayed at 9 that would have settled for an OT or Ebron.

Elite talent comes with a price. The bills have a nice team but how many elite players do they have? Kyle Williams ,Mario Williams , CJ Spiller , maybe Dareus if he gets his head on straight. That was it . Four out of 53.

We just got another one. Be happy.

About time this organization realizes we need star players to win. And I'm happy they have some balls now. Finally.

From the NFL.com website, the "Negatives" on Watkins;

Production results heavily from a gimmicky offense. Routes could use some more polish. Does not consistently work the middle of the field. Could improve field awareness. Is still immature and could require some time to acclimate to an NFL playbook. Could stand to improve ball security and do a better job fielding punts.

These are not things that are going to help us win this year. Not to mention that precise few WRs, most not even drafted in the 1st round much less 1st WR overall, ever even log 1,000 yards. I fail to see how this is a "win now" scenario.

I know, I know, he makes everyone on the team at all 21 other starting positions better.

There isn't one 6' tall WR that's come out over at least the last 15 years that's even come close to doing that. Not one.

Why don't you balance out and show his positives instead of just focusing on the negatives?

This. 100x this, but, alas, this board has been overrun by morons.

I Love the move. I dont care what the haters think .

Dialogue and disagreement are welcome, but please keep the name calling to yourselves.

The poll was meant to get a general sense of how Bills fans feel about the trade. We all have opinions and should be free to share them without reprisal or denigration.

The "mortgaging the future" talk is a riot. It has no meaning. Giving up a 1st round pick (who cares about a future 4th) on a team with a spotty draft history in the first round for the top offensive player in the draft is the definition of value.

There were a ton of posters who were happy to blow a top 9 pick on an O-lineman! And the 4th best one at that! Now there are complaints about spending an extra top pick on an actual impact player at an actual impact position?

Crazy.

What does Sammy Watkins have to do to justify the trade and the pick?

1600 yards and 16 touchdowns (100 yards and 1 TD per game)?

1200 yards and 12 touchdowns (75 yards and 0.75 TD per game)?

800 yards and 8 touchdowns (50 yards and 0.5 TD per game)?

Be the difference maker in 4 games?

Be the difference maker in 3 games?

Be the difference maker in 2 games?

Be the difference maker in 1 game?

The Bills haven't had a quarterback since Kelly. The Bills don't have a quarterback now. If they'd gone all in like this on a trade for a quarterback, no one would be happier than me. (Assuming the quarterback was a polished pocket passer in college; and not some "raw" guy with great physical gifts.)

I suspect Watkins will be very good, but not A.J. Green good. He may be good enough to make Manuel look better than he is; thus adding one or more years to the Manuel experiment.

Don't get me wrong. The Bills aren't exactly bursting with elite players. Watkins could be elite. But even if this trade makes sense tactically, I don't see how it makes sense strategically, given the Bills' quarterback situation.

Of course, if I'm wrong about the Bills' QB situation, and Doug Whaley is right, then the Watkins trade makes a ton more sense.

100 out about 14,000 members

I was hoping for a larger sample size.

It seems like most people are pleased with the move. I feel like I dislike it more with moving SJ to SF. It seems more like a personality clash. You don't talk about adding weapons around EJ then simultaneously get rid of your first ever back-to-back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons WR.

I hope it all works out, but my pessimism keeps me skeptical.

Now let's see how pick number two unfolds.