Redskins Protest

oman128

What if the player who is drafted by the Redskins, hugs Goodell then says, he won't sign,play or report for Washington until they change the racist name of the team.

What would the Commish do ?

What would ESPN do?

Talk about drama, his Facebook and Twitter would blow up. Even Putin might like it.

Edited by oman128

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd congratulate the kid for sticking to his ideals. He'd likely lose millions of dollars in the fiasco.

Hopefully the NFL forces Washington to change their name soon.

Why, is it that big of deal? If some team was the named "The Fighting White Men" I would like to think I would be honored & would probably even route for them.

Why, is it that big of deal? If some team was the named "The Fighting White Men" I would like to think I would be honored & would probably even route for them.

I don't think many people have a problem with something that'd be equivalent to that... like say the Florida Seminoles. The problem is "redskin" is a racist term for Native Americans/American Indians. Its kinda like someone a n*gger, sand n*gger, wetback, yellow, etc etc etc.

What if they were called "The Fat White Budweiser Drinking Trailer Trash Slobs?"

Yeah, I wouldn't give a **** either.

I root for a team called the Fighting Irish.

How come the sensitive sallys are never concerned with the image of an angry leprechaun looking to fight someone as a representation of Irish people?

I don't think many people have a problem with something that'd be equivalent to that... like say the Florida Seminoles. The problem is "redskin" is a racist term for Native Americans/American Indians. Its kinda like someone a n*gger, sand n*gger, wetback, yellow, etc etc etc.

Hey dork, the term redskin refers to the red war paint they put on their faces.

I think the kid would be an instant celebrity.

He would say it's a bitter sweet day, I dreamed about this moment since I was a kid, but playing for a team with a racist name leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd like to ask one of the other 31 teams to make a trade for me because I won't do anything to foster the name racist Redskins name. If not I'll go back to school and finish my degree.

He would be seen as giving a **** about people today in a world that is all to cut throat.

He'd likely get a call from the President.

Daniel Snyder and the Redskins would look small, and racist.

His Mama would be proud!

Edited by oman128

I think the kid would be an instant celebrity.

He would say it's a bitter sweet day, I dreamed about this moment since I was a kid, but playing for a team with a racist name leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I'd like to ask one of the other 31 teams to make a trade for me because I won't do anything to foster the name racist Redskins name. If not I'll go back to school and finish my degree.

He would be seen as giving a **** about people today in a world that is all to cut throat.

He'd likely get a call from the President.

Daniel Snyder and the Redskins would look small, and racist.

His Mama would be proud!

Which answers my question in post #10................

Hey dork, the term redskin refers to the red war paint they put on their faces.

In the first instances of the term's use, yes, but it was undoubtedly pejorative. But the meaning of "red" and "redskin" changed over time. In the 17th century, "tawny" was the common term, but by the 18th century Indians were classified as a "red" race in a pigment-based racial classification system. Here's the definitive article: http://www.jstor.org...le/1857900?seq= . If you can't access it, let me know; I can email you the full pdf.

Regardless, it is and always was pejorative because very quickly after initial contact in the early 17th century Indians came to be viewed as an inferior race vis-a-vis whites. Red was a way to label them as different and inferior.

Edited by dave mcbride