Why do YOU think the Bills will finish below .500?

Why will the Bills finish below .500?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What will prevent the team from making the playoffs?

• Quarterback play
    • Poor coaching (including coordinators)
    • Lack of depth across the roster
    • General pessimism: Have to see it to believe it first
    • Other

As I was watching yet another NFL draft preview show, a thought occurred to me.

For the first time since Bledsoe was quarterbacking this offense, I feel relatively certain that the Buffalo Bills are going to make the playoffs this season.

I (personally) saw enough from EJ last year to think that not only can he succeed if he stays healthy, but him not staying healthy this previous year was due to bad luck.

The defense was stout, the kicking was solid, and offensively they looked like a young team loaded with weapons.

To me, this year, anything less than 9-7 would be an abject failure, and would absolutely shock me.

Hell, even the schedule is balanced and fair compared to years past.

But yet, I can't help but feeling that the majority of Bills fans thinks the team finishes 7-9 or worse this year. Why is that?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they always do. Now I am old enough to remember the good times but for a large number of Bills fans 6-10 is all they've ever known. Until that changes people will always expect the Bills to be below .500....We've seen promise go up in smoke so often these last 15 years....

There is a lot of talent on this team. We just don't have any real game changers There are also a lot of question marks still. Quarterback, new def scheme, overall depth. I am hoping Ej takes the next step and can stay healthy. My opinion is we go 8-8 maybe 9-7 but barely miss the playoffs. That's only if Ej stays healthy though

Edited by DallasMac

Other, without the oline patched up most QB's will struggle to throw the ball on our team. There are QB's that have done more with equal/less but EJ needs to develop as a QB, not a QB/RB. I have questions about EJ but we have seen both the good and the bad of him. Hopefully it's mechanics that made the bad games... other that the knee issues.

Edited by The Wiz

4 reasons why we HAVE a winning record. 1} Kiko moves to the outside 2} Wood causes major match up problems when on the field at same time as Johnson and Williams 3} Arron Williams steps in and makes us forget about Byrd 4} Dareus is finally understanding the business side of the game and is comfortable with his role of clogging up the middle

What exactly did you see in EJ to make you think he ca succeed?

How can you say the defense was stout when they still couldn't stop the run?

Carolina, the jets home game, and I believe he did pretty good in the Falcons game.

Those games could be flashes in the pan but there's no reason not to believe that his play in those games couldn't become the norm.

Also the Pats game where Stevie dropped/didn't make a play on the ball for the 1st down to put them in 10 yards for the possible win.

That first Pats game is often forgotten. That first TD pass to Stevie over the top of two defenders was beautiful, as was that pass to wide open Woods later on.

I think we do no worse than 8-8.

I like "General Pessimism". This way you can be down on everything

Besides I just came in from cutting the grass first time this year and it kicked my ass so with "GP" don't have to articulate any more :P

I lump 1 & 3 together. We haven't seen winning play at quarterback and we haven't seen winning football. If they don't draft bona fide competition for Knee-J, I'm convinced we'll not see anything to believe in a again this season.

Carolina game?

You mean the game where the Carolina defense blew coverage on the TD and helped the drive with a big penalty on what would hv been a game ending interception thrown by Manuel?

Carolina, the jets home game, and I believe he did pretty good in the Falcons game.

Those games could be flashes in the pan but there's no reason not to believe that his play in those games couldn't become the norm.

The acceptance of mediocrity by the fans on this board amazes me. Making a play here and there doesn't prove to me that EJ can succeed...Thad made some plays here and there, can he also succeed?

You mean the game where the Carolina defense blew coverage on the TD and helped the drive with a big penalty on what would hv been a game ending interception thrown by Manuel?

Yeah, the one he threw the WINNING TOUCHDOWN with 2 seconds left.

Way to go playing the "Yeah but" game. I'm sure you are the first to stick up for the Bills when they almost win games.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The acceptance of mediocrity by the fans on this board amazes me. Making a play here and there doesn't prove to me that EJ can succeed...Thad made some plays here and there, can he also succeed?

The entire game of football is based on players making plays here and there, rarely are there games where one players dominates an entire game. It's a team sport, you need everyone to make plays here and there to win.

are you serious I'm the only one who thinks our offense of coordinator is in way over his head?

Considering that we were pacing the Broncos for the better part of the season as the only two teams putting up 20 or more every game, with very few points from the D and special teams (field goals notwithstanding), I'd say he did alright.

Also don't forget, he was doing that with two injured RB's and a carousel of injured and inexperienced QB's.

I'm not saying it couldn't have been better, but all things being equal, he did at least an average job. Far from being in over his head IMHO.