WGR and callers

Listening to WGR at 3 with snoop and his bulldog is like rubber necking an accident on the thruway - a terrible sight but can't help but look. Todays show is a perfect example; host spends a great deal of time hoping and figuring on some way the Bills could get Evans at ninth pick. Host loves Evans. Caller gets through, and states that although he has never seen Evans play, he can tell by looking at both players that Kelvin Benjamin is quicker and more athletic. Although this caller had and took the time to call in and wait on hold; the genius never thought to look up on the Internet that Combine times on Evans were much faster than Benjamin, and that the Evans outperformed on all the other athletic tests at Combine.

But the WGR hosts manages to surpass his callers stupidity; despite the fact that the host has been advocating hard for Bills to get Evans, he has no answer to this caller as to why Evans is superior to Benjamin. He eventually mutters a response that a lot of mocks have Evans rated higher. Apparently host knows very little about the player he has just been raving about; and does not have access to the Internet either.

My belief is that the bosses at WGR ordered these two hosts to stop talking about the NHL draft and start actually talking about the NFL. Perhaps because we are one of the few and lucky cities to have an NFL franchise, the NFL, after all, only being far and away the most popular league in the US

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGR is good in small doses.

It's horrible when they talk about Sabres during the Bills offseason like the draft.

I remember for a week straight it seemed like they were only talking about the NHL draft lottery

I mainly listen to WGR for Joe Buscaglia though.

He is great with his draft insite and I trust what he says more than any other NFL draft analyist

CBF

WGR is embarrassing to me as an "intelligent" sports fan. And should be embarrassing to most of us.

The hosts are supposed to be experts. They are supposed to do homework and know what they are talking about. They are supposed to carry the show, have it mapped/planned out. Inform the listener. Instead, the only one who does that is John Murphy. The only other person on that station who puts work in is Buscaglia and he is only a peripheral reporter.

Then the callers are the same dummies over and over again. Some of them make me cringe, thinking visitors or people across the border are hearing this and generalizing it to our fanbase.

Topics are so narrow. It is insane. They dont talk about anything but the most "pressing" topic on the Bills/Sabres

Just listen to the Fan 590 to hear how Sports radio should be done.

Edited by May Day 10

Everyone has such good things to say about Joe B, and he is great compared to a guy like Schopp, the tennis enthusiast. And I like his professional approach, but whenever Joe is asked his opinion on a guy, 9 times out of 10 he just hedges and basically says he likes him alot but there are some concerns.

I realize Joe B is a great story locally (he started as a winner of the WGR rookie contest, I think) ... but listen to Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL Radio, or Mike Mayock, or even the Godfather, Gil Brandt. Those guys back up their opinions with conviction.

If there was another option that talked mostly Buffalo sports at their time I would definitely listen. Unfortunately, there isn't. If it was just Schopp and the bulldog i wouldn't tune in. Some of their guests are worth listening to. I'm guessing that their ratings are decent or good, but I wonder if that is due to having no competition.

i didnt realize Buscaglia was a contest winner....

I just recognize that he really has a huge interest in what he is covering, he immerses himself in video and information, and delivers intel. Maybe his delivery isnt refined yet, and he may not have the guts to speak with conviction on predictions and speculation... but I see the work he puts in as opposed to all the other hosts who are open about how they couldnt be bothered even watching anything besides the Bills and Sabres... and even that they just skim the surface less than the average fan does

Edited by May Day 10

Listening to WGR at 3 with snoop and his bulldog is like rubber necking an accident on the thruway - a terrible sight but can't help but look. Todays show is a perfect example; host spends a great deal of time hoping and figuring on some way the Bills could get Evans at ninth pick. Host loves Evans. Caller gets through, and states that although he has never seen Evans play, he can tell by looking at both players that Kelvin Benjamin is quicker and more athletic. Although this caller had and took the time to call in and wait on hold; the genius never thought to look up on the Internet that Combine times on Evans were much faster than Benjamin, and that the Evans outperformed on all the other athletic tests at Combine.

But the WGR hosts manages to surpass his callers stupidity; despite the fact that the host has been advocating hard for Bills to get Evans, he has no answer to this caller as to why Evans is superior to Benjamin. He eventually mutters a response that a lot of mocks have Evans rated higher. Apparently host knows very little about the player he has just been raving about; and does not have access to the Internet either.

My belief is that the bosses at WGR ordered these two hosts to stop talking about the NHL draft and start actually talking about the NFL. Perhaps because we are one of the few and lucky cities to have an NFL franchise, the NFL, after all, only being far and away the most popular league in the US

One thing you have to understand about Schopp and Bulldog is they willingly admit they don't know much about these sorts of things... B-)

One thing you have to understand about Schopp and Bulldog is they willingly admit they don't know much about these sorts of things... B-)

they seem to enjoy conversations and debates rather than hit that stat sheets hard. and i have no problem with that. they have four hours every day to try to entertain their audience, and i think they are good at what they do. do i agree with everything they say? absolutely not. but most times they are more than willing to hear peoples opinions and have a back and forth....however there are some callers that seem to have single digit IQs that can set them off. bulldog has a tendancy to go off on a rant and sometimes schopp can come off as a bit condescending, but overall i like them a lot.

i enjoy joe b's insights, he is well informed and does express his own bias on players when he has a strong feeling about them.

but understand that while you may tune in from time to time, these guys do this all week long and the a lot of the same callers call in with a lot of the same opinions and it can feel quite stale. i think these guys want the draft to get here even more than we do.

Gee, we have a guy on the roster who was 2nd place for rookie of the year at WR and we have holes at DE, ROT and LB. So we should trade up for a college guy and not fill those holes?

they host a talk show. their job is to talk about possibilities and get people to listen and maybe even join in on conversations. and the "what if" scenario is the current topic. everyone can way in on how sammy watkins or mike evans might change this team going forward. not many average fans know much about the third round inside linebacker we could possibly take to round out the roster.

Agreed. Jeremy White in the mornings is the worst offender, and he drags Howard Simon down with him. He seemingly always will redirect the conversation to Hockey or associate Bills "talk" to situations in Hockey. He needs to move to an NHL only city, or go work for the NHL Network.

Thankfully, most is available on the WGR app, so I

Agreed. Jeremy White in the mornings is the worst offender, and he drags Howard Simon down with him. He seemingly always will redirect the conversation to Hockey or associate Bills "talk" to situations in Hockey. He needs to move to an NHL only city, or go work for the NHL Network.

IMO Jeremy White is an offender in every sense of the word. He spouts opinions to callers and to Howard Simon as if they are indisputable facts, and a good 50% of the time he's dead wrong. You will never hear him preface a thought by saying, "in my opinion". What he says, just IS.

I'd take Sal Cappaccio over White any day of the week.

wow, i guess we differ in opinion quite a bit. while jeremy white can get quite animated on his opinion, i really like him. he is definitely one of my favorite wgr personalities and often times i agree with his line of thinking. he seems to blend analytical facts and strong opinions together to make a compelling argument more often than not. he also goes off the deep end from time to time which i also appreciate. i miss his screaming matches with sully.

I stopped listening to Schopp and Bulldog about 3 years ago, Schopp knows nothing about sports, he should really be a DJ on radio station. I generally listen to Sion and White in am --- Simon is too much of a pushover for whatever Jeremy's rant of the day/week/month is --- JW can't let it go on Evans, it's starting to rival his need to remind us how important it is to get a Top 5 pick in NHL -- not that he's wrong, but we don't need to hear it 20 times a day -- we get it --- stop selling -- love the idea of pinning a permanent thread on GR --- overall, I like Joe B, would love to see him on show with someone who spends as much time on NFL, to challenge him more on his opinions ---