It will be Zack Martin then a RB in round 2

So at #9 you think they will take the 4th best Tackle? Then in the 2nd they will get a player at the only position where we are solid? I'm not saying it won't happen but I would be super depressed if it went down like this

If past history is any indicator....

Not saying this is completely lame as I think both players are really good. Its just I don't see Martin at #9, and could envision a trade back if they want an OT and the top three are gone. The RB idea seems far fetched considering they already have two elite RB's in Jackson - Spiller. But then again this team did draft Spiller when they already had a 1000 yard rusher in Lynch. I would think if they wanted to trade Spiller he would have been dealt to the Eagles who inquired about a trade for him earlier.

By the same token I also think all this talk of trading up for a WR is just that, talk. They already have SJ, just traded for Mike Williams, and Robert Woods / Marquise Goodwin should show some progress this year.

Stranger stuff has happened with this team tho. In four days and we will know.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been way to much press about the Bills taking a tackle. To the point that Im starting to think its very unlikely they will take a tackle at nine. I expect them to trade back. Maybe with Dallas for their first and second. If no QB's are taken by nine the value of that picks goes up. Some team will want to trade up to nine get the QB they want. Their first and second would represent fair value.

Actually, if we could trade down with Giants (who supposedly like Ebron), and get Martin at 12, I would love this. Martin at 12, Hyde in the 2d, also best available wide-out or TE with our second 2d round pick (Montcrief, Jenkins, etc), Gabe Jackson in the third as a mauling power guard. Would love this.

I hear the Giants also really like Martin, FWIW. In any event, I don't think Martin would be there if we traded behind Pittsburgh.

Also, the Martin-Bulaga comparison is way off IMO. Yes he has shorter arms than you would want from an OT, but he is such a polished technician. His technique helps to compensate for not having a monster reach to fend off speed rushers. Also, I don't recall draft pundits saying Bulaga was also the top C and OG prospect in the draft class. Big difference.

There is zero chance of this occurring...staying at 9 and taking him. Drop into the 20's, maybe, but still unlikely. He is not on their short-list.

How do you know this?

Based on everything I am reading/ hearing, Martin is going to be picked by the mid-teens. I think it is very unlikely that he will still be available "in the 20s".

I think it is hard to find RBs anymore out of college who are really the total package. You can say they are a dime a dozen, but if you look at the top RBs in the league they were all drafted pretty high.

AP - 1st round

McCoy - 2nd rd

Jamaal Charles - 3rd rd

Lynch - 1st rd

Forte - 2nd rd

Doug Martin - 1st rd

DeMarco Murray - 3rd rd

CJ Spiller - 1st rd

Eddie Lacy - 2nd rd

Le'Veon Bell - 2nd rd

Reggie Bush - 1st rd

Frank Gore - 3rd rd

Chris Johnson - 1st rd

Ryan Matthews - 1st rd

Knowsean Moreno - 1st rd

Gio Bernard - 2nd rd

You have exceptions like Arian Foster,Fred Jackson and Alfred Morris but taking a RB evaluated highly at draft time is safer than picking one up late. IMO.

If you lose Spiller next year draft a RB in round 2 or 3 Next Year. Don't draft one now when you have other needs because of speculation. The point wasn't where you draft running backs but rather you don't draft for next years needs when you have a lot of needs to address this year.

If past history is any indicator....

Not saying this is completely lame as I think both players are really good. Its just I don't see Martin at #9, and could envision a trade back if they want an OT and the top three are gone. The RB idea seems far fetched considering they already have two elite RB's in Jackson - Spiller. But then again this team did draft Spiller when they already had a 1000 yard rusher in Lynch. I would think if they wanted to trade Spiller he would have been dealt to the Eagles who inquired about a trade for him earlier.

By the same token I also think all this talk of trading up for a WR is just that, talk. They already have SJ, just traded for Mike Williams, and Robert Woods / Marquise Goodwin should show some progress this year.

Stranger stuff has happened with this team tho. In four days and we will know.

I also don't buy trading up for a WR. Seems like with the Mike Williams trade they are far from desperate at WR, now if an elite one fell to them at pick 9 I could see it happening but I don't think they will sacrifice additional draft assets to take a player in a position where they have a decent amount of talent.

I am hoping for a trade down. It won't be as exciting but getting someone like Martin or Ebron a few slots down makes sense to me.

Best case scenario is all the QBs slide and the Bills phone starts ringing. Tennessee at 11 or the Browns second first rounder at 26 could be interested.

I like Evans or Mathews if they stay at 9.

Heck, if they trade up for Clowney or Watkins I would be fine with that as well. Can't wait.

If you lose Spiller next year draft a RB in round 2 or 3 Next Year. Don't draft one now when you have other needs because of speculation. The point wasn't where you draft running backs but rather you don't draft for next years needs when you have a lot of needs to address this year.

I also don't buy trading up for a WR. Seems like with the Mike Williams trade they are far from desperate at WR, now if an elite one fell to them at pick 9 I could see it happening but I don't think they will sacrifice additional draft assets to take a player in a position where they have a decent amount of talent.

Whaley has clearly stated that the team feels they have addressed all of this year's needs and are able to approach the draft to select BPA in each round. The BPA would be based on the team's board and not some overall general big board so there will be differences based upon who fits their system and upcoming needs. They are already scouting RBs who will be coming out next year. It is possible they aren't enamored with that class at this point - I don't know that to be true but they could be very open to taking one this year for that reason AND because they have him rated so high. It seems you don't agree that they don't have immediate needs to address in the draft, which is a different topic than I was discussing with the value of Hyde in the 2nd.

Drafting an RB this year likely would not have much to do with whether or not they extend Spiller. This would be Fred's replacement. As I said, I think Marrone really, really wants to run the ball effectively as part of the offense. If Fred were to be injured, they could use Dixon but I am not sure he is the player that Hyde or some of the other highly rated backs are this year. Spiller is clearly not a between the tackles back.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So at #9 you think they will take the 4th best Tackle? Then in the 2nd they will get a player at the only position where we are solid? I'm not saying it won't happen but I would be super depressed if it went down like this

I said this somewhere else a couple weeks ago, I could totally see them going OT, RB, CB...for their first three picks.

And as for the RB position, we are FAR from "solid" there...especially after this coming season. As mentioned before, CJ Spiller is in a contract year, as is Fred Jackson who will be 34 years old by the time his contract runs out next March. It is hard to see either of them coming back next year. I wish the Bills took a chance on Marcus Lattimore last year, I think he'll be a beast and take Gore's #1 spot. (He has a very special talent, especially if he's healthy.)

(And as for the WR position...Stevie Johnson and Mike Williams are BOTH basically on 1-year "prove-it" deals...a WR is as worthy a pick as any.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

If I were a betting man they love him and will reach to get him...then they will do a RB in round 2 because they are not going to re-sign Spiller due to the fact RBs are a dime a dozen and he does not fit the mold of a pounder between the tackles Marrone wants.......if I we a betting man....

Haha...anytime you can take the 5th best tackle at number 9, you gotta do it. On the same note, anytime you can take a guy in the second round that's the least valuable position in the NFL at the only position were fairly solid, you also gotta do it.

But, do like you're screen name!

If I were a betting man they love him and will reach to get him...then they will do a RB in round 2 because they are not going to re-sign Spiller due to the fact RBs are a dime a dozen and he does not fit the mold of a pounder between the tackles Marrone wants.......if I we a betting man....

I will bet you any amount of money this doesn't happen.

As so many have stated - They are not going to take what amounts to, at best, the 4th best OT in this years draft at 9...they will not reach in the top 10....In my opinion, this guy is more suited to a guard in the NFL - short arms, better in traffic....

The only upside to this kind of draft would be the fact that I just moved to a place I can't put up a satellite and get directv, so I wouldn't miss seeing the Bills stumble through another year.

If Marrone really wants a RB that can run between the tackles and block, catch the ball and be a threat to score in the open field, and we know Fred is in his last 1 or 2 seasons, he needs to draft one. A few wise posters told me to keep an eye on Chris Brown's blogs during draft week as they often will provide insight as to what we might see from the Bills. Today he posted this:

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 3h

Just handful of backs that can do it all http://wp.me/plmrg-a2m

This posted same day:

@buffalobills: Number Crunch: Run game value as healthy as ever http://ow.ly/wsLkZ pic.twitter.com/hbVv916FIr

If you only watched highlights of Hyde and not his actual games, you may not realize he was kind of a one man show at times. He took over games. There were times when the passing game was almost non-existent and everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he still got 7.3 yds/carry. He is an excellent blocker. And he wears teams down and demoralizes defenses. He gets most of his yards in the 2nd half of games. I maintain that if OSU had kept giving him the ball rather than trying to run the QB so much for the big play, they win both the Big 10 championship and the Orange Bowl. He is used to being in the position where it feels like the offense has to score on every play in order to win the game. Hoping that is not the case here, but you look at RBs from teams like Alabama who hold opponents on defense and the pressure isn't on the offense as much throughout the game. His 2013 stats are misleading as well - he missed the first 3 games. If he is in an NFL offense with a legit passing game I think he would be even more effective. Playing in the Big 10 he was out there in nasty weather too, and very rarely fumbles.

I really like Andre Williams as well in later round.. but Hyde seems to fit the Marrone mold very well.

Last season it seemed like Marrone REALLY wanted to run the ball. I would not surprised to see OL-RB-TE in the first 3 rds, followed by DE-LB-Punter in some combo in the last 3 picks. If they don't get Evans, personally I would not be surprised if they don't draft a WR.

Darn Yolo you sold me on the RB, and I can only hope you are right. I'd also like to see an OG in there rather then a TE, as Tony M might be able to fill that role.

Not saying RB is essential this year, but when Fred was hurt we had no consistent running game with just CJ. Maybe it was because CJ was hurt too, maybe it was the line, but maybe not. I am not a fan of run -1, run +1 run -3, run +24. Too often those were CJ's carries. Those are drive killers, and they get your young QB killed because too often instead of 2d and 7 you have 2d and 12; or 3rd and nine instead of third and 4 or 5. Would like to see them draft an RB that can really stick it up in there to complement Fred, who is the best. Like Spiller as a weapon, but more like a wildcard than "feed him the ball until he vomits." They tried that, it didn't work.

Why are this borderline-illiterate "reporter"'s tweets relevant?

Meh... just take it for what its worth considering he has been right about FAs and contract stuff going back to last year so whoever his sources are at OBD they seem rather reliable. Also I don't think he is trying to be a reporter. He is somehow affiliated with one of the Bills-related blogs but I honestly haven't cared enough to research what his role is. His tweets on this type of stuff have been fairly accurate so thought those who remember that might be interested. He will no doubt injure himself while obnoxiously patting himself on the back though if any of it comes true.