Rumor: (per Chris Wesseling of nfl.com) Stevie Johnson on the trading

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take is that Stevie has to be considered as part of the Stevie-Fitz combination. I feel that those two guys shared a lot of brain cells and Stevie could do unplanned moves that Fritz understood and they together could complete a lot of short and intermediate range passes. (I used to play soccer at a pretty high level and there were some guys that I could push a blind pass to and they would be right there- other, very good players, were just not tuned into the same celestrial channel and would give a WTF glance to you when you gave the ball away). I look at EJ as not having that specific connection to Steve Johnson, so the Bills will not get that same return from Johnson- maybe not as much as other WR already on the roster and certainly not as much as Johnson's cap hit justifies. Good time to trade him and move on.

Yep, I've had similar thoughts that Stevie and Fitz shared a brain. I also think at least some of Fitz INTs were attributable to the mind-meld breaking down.

SJ has a buttload of talent though, and I'd want to see how he and EJ work together their 2nd year before giving away the man who may still be our best wideout.

Keep in mind Fitz and Stevie had a bunch of time working together on the scout team before they came of age as starters. It hasn't been given enough time to say that SJ and EJ can't develop that chemistry, just that they haven't yet.

I take a 3rd for stevie and run with it.

So would I but you know.....they were supposedly offered a 5th for Spiller. I can't imagine a team giving up a 3rd for Stevie given his contract, let alone the fact that this draft is said to be absolutely stacked at the WR position. Rookies make next to nothing with the new CBA.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that SJ has little to no trade value.

Edited by Bill from NYC

So would I but you know.....they were supposedly offered a 5th for Spiller. I can't imagine a team giving up a 3rd for Stevie given his contract, let alone the fact that this draft is said to be absolutely stacked at the WR position. Rookies make next to nothing with the new CBA.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that SJ has little to no trade value.

I may not be the biggest CJ Spiller supporter in the world...But I think a 5th for him is laughable...He may or may not be an every-down NFL RB...But CJ can do things most players just can't do...And to this day I swear I've never seen a player get to top speed as fast as CJ does...I think CJ would still be a 1st round pick in this Draft, and this Draft is loaded...Maybe not #9 overall...But he'd go in the 1st...

A 5th is insulting...I would literally take that as an insult... :lol:

I think the Bills will draft a WR whether or not they manage to trade SJ. And I agree with you, the depth of WR class makes a trade low -risk for the Bills but also diminishes his trade value. Perhaps a multi-player deal may work better.

If indeed true re: CJ, a 5th rounder is a joke.

If indeed true re: CJ, a 5th rounder is a joke.

It's not a deal I would jump on, but it (imo) is proof that many fans place more value on our players than they are actually worth.

The new CBA made draft picks cost pennies. The rule changes made it a QB driven league.

These are facts that are beyond dispute.

It's not a deal I would jump on, but it (imo) is proof that many fans place more value on our players than they are actually worth.

The new CBA made draft picks cost pennies. The rule changes made it a QB driven league.

I don't disagree with the point in general Bill...But good grief...A 5th for Spiller is ridiculous...I'm not even saying they could get a 1st or anything like that...But a 5th? That's just insulting... B-)

I don't disagree with the point in general Bill...But good grief...A 5th for Spiller is ridiculous...I'm not even saying they could get a 1st or anything like that...But a 5th? That's just insulting... B-)

Not only insulting but... Spiller is MUCH more valuable to Us than them.

This is smoke as is Stevie trade. Just media keeping offseason interesting.

Pretty neat to see how many fans ? here want to trade for supposedly greener grass.

KOK i now officially pissed.

Insult my TBD buddy and you insult me !

:death:

I am as big a Stevie fan as anyone but if the cost for Watkins was SJ13 and #9 I wouldn't be able to accept fast enough. I am all in on Sammy and wouldn't hesitate to give the 9, 41 and next years #1 to get him.

wow im glad youre not in charge of the bills draft. so Watkins is better than whoever we get at 9, a second round talent (like kiko or woods) and next years 1(which could be another Watkins) and losing sj? so 1 > 4 players???? ill stick to math and keep four players over one and when he tears an acl?

Again, if the objective is winning, you don't let your best Safety walk, and then draft a replacement for him in the 1st round, and you don't get rid of your best receiver, and draft a replacement for him in the 1st round. All you're doing is spinning the wheels. It makes absolutely no sense for the Bills to trade Stevie Johnson and then look to draft someone to replace him.

Unless you are grossly over valuing Stevie...which you are. Trade Stevie, he is not necessary. Byrd I would have liked to have kept, but its not like we didn't make him a fair offer. He chose bigger money which would have been over paying him, and I am a big Byrd fan since college.

Not only insulting but... Spiller is MUCH more valuable to Us than them.

This is smoke as is Stevie trade. Just media keeping offseason interesting.

Pretty neat to see how many fans ? here want to trade for supposedly greener grass.

KOK i now officially pissed.

Insult my TBD buddy and you insult me !

:death:

Haha!!! :thumbsup:

Well, it's as true as the statement that Doug Marrone told Stevie Johnson that he wouldn't be traded.

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-not-to-worry

UPDATE: Bowen later recanted the story, stating that Jackson has not spoken to Kelly regarding trade rumors. Rather, an "official" Jackson source informed Bowen that Jackson "has tried to (communicate), but Chip has been too busy with free agency, etc."

Consider that Tennesee couldn't get anything for a much more prolific and just slightly older CJ2k.

A speed back handling 10-12 touches a game doesn't carry a team and doesn't command a kings ransom.

Not denying the general statement that draft has become much more important tool in managing the roster and the cap.

But it depends on the position. If we take your logic to the extreme, you seem to indicate that QB is the only position worth a 1st round pick. I disagree. While BPA is generally the best strategy, I wouldnt extend it to include only a few positions such as RB and maybe TE (and the obvious ones such as K, P etc).

wow im glad youre not in charge of the bills draft. so Watkins is better than whoever we get at 9, a second round talent (like kiko or woods) and next years 1(which could be another Watkins) and losing sj? so 1 > 4 players???? ill stick to math and keep four players over one and when he tears an acl?

You obviously missed that those were two separate scenarios. An unexpected turn of events from the "enlightener"

Consider that Tennesee couldn't get anything for a much more prolific and just slightly older CJ2k.

A speed back handling 10-12 touches a game doesn't carry a team and doesn't command a kings ransom.

Nobody said anything about a kings ransom...The only thing that was said is that a 5th is a joke...No need for over exaggeration... B-)

I may not be the biggest CJ Spiller supporter in the world...But I think a 5th for him is laughable...He may or may not be an every-down NFL RB...But CJ can do things most players just can't do...And to this day I swear I've never seen a player get to top speed as fast as CJ does...I think CJ would still be a 1st round pick in this Draft, and this Draft is loaded...Maybe not #9 overall...But he'd go in the 1st...

A 5th is insulting...I would literally take that as an insult... :lol:

You must have never watched Bo Jackson...