Rumor: (per Chris Wesseling of nfl.com) Stevie Johnson on the trading

Steve is still the best wr on this team. He was banged up last year and still gave 100%. He does decent against Revis (pats). Unless we're going for Wakins or Evans I say keep him.

Even if they are going after Wakins or Evans, would it really be bad to have Wakins/Evans, Williams and Stevie in the slot?

I can see his cap numbers next year coming into play in the grand scheme but having 3 good/great receivers is never a bad thing for a 1 1/2 year QB.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I do not live in buffalo I do not collect marginal or any player autographs.

I do enjoy dominant good football. Your idol Stevie is incapable of that and it's like

the FO realizes that.

By all means buy his jersey though. it will be a memorable piece of nothing reminding you of the a big mouth marginal SLOW receiver that yes put up the magical 1000 yard seasons on a team that had nothing past him. SJ13 wouldn't make many playoff teams except maybe the hoodie would take a flyer on him. he can at least show Revis how he beat him.

Because of his bloated salary, lack of speed, always playing injured ( which I do give him huge props for he is a gamer at least) IMO it's doubtful any team would give up much for him.

You realize that your point about no one else being a receiving threat makes a stronger case of why SJ is good? When your receiving core is Johnson, Nelson, and Jones, SJ will get all the defensive talent and best corners. He had a monster game against Richard Sherman. You also realize that SJ is making $2.2 million this year and isn't even the highest paid wr on the team?

I don't know man. I like Watkins but he hasn't proven a thing in the NFL. Of course there's a ton of potential but as Parcells says, "Potential means you haven't done (crap)." Watkins got a lot of yards on short passes. It's one thing to do that against Boston College, it's another to do that against the Pats. Stevie has proven himself against Revis and Sherman. Plus, do you really want a receiving core where Mike Williams is your veteran leader?

At the same point, maybe Stevie should move on where he'll be appreciate by more of the fans. The dude has worked himself from a 7th rounder into a 3 time 1,000 yard receiver with a QB who struggled to throw the ball 10 yards downfield. The best part is if they move Stevie or CJ, the same people who wanted them gone, will be the first people complaining after they thrive in their new situations.

You seem to be ignoring the very real decline that set in last season. He's probably not going to get any better, and will most likely get worse as the nagging injuries accumulate. That said, I'll be very surprised if they trade him because I sincerely doubt any team will want to pick up the relatively large contract of a player perceived to be in decline. His salary this season is close to $4 million: http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Bills&Year=2014 . Perhaps more importantly, his PFW AV of 5 last year was replacement level-like: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnSt00.htm . I do wish him well, however, and I'm fine with him staying on the team. He did give the Bills a couple of pretty good seasons.

fyi - check out the football ousiders voa and dvoa rankings of Johnson among receivers the last couple of years. He's not that great (relative to other receivers). He's essentially an average #2: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/16239/steve-johnson .

Edited by dave mcbride

How so if they trade him?

I thought if they trade a player they arent on the hook for his salary?

CBF

We have paid him dollars that haven't counted against our salary cap yet (signing bonus being the most common example). Just like we aren't accounting for mike Williams signing bonus because it's hitting Tampa bay.

Yeah - and for whatever reason it was pretty clear that Manuel and Stevie didn't seem to have any chemistry.

I love Stevie too, but I wouldn't be shocked by this sort of move.

Why would anyone expect a WR/QB to have developed chemistry in 10 games?

Depends on what Buffalo gets in return. I wouldn't let Stevie go for anything less than a 3rd round pick. Anything less simply wouldn't be worth it, IMHO.

Really, isn't just about every player on the trading block if the price is right?

should be

You seem to be ignoring the very real decline that set in last season. He's probably not going to get any better, and will most likely get worse as the nagging injuries accumulate. That said, I'll be very surprised if they trade him because I sincerely doubt any team will want to pick up the relatively large contract of a player perceived to be in decline. His salary this season is close to $4 million: http://www.overtheca...Bills&Year=2014 . Perhaps more importantly, his PFW AV of 5 last year was replacement level-like: http://www.pro-footb.../J/JohnSt00.htm . I do wish him well, however. He gave the Bills a couple of very good seasons.

I'm calling BS on this decline. He's 27, so he's just entering the agreed upon prime for receivers. He struggled with injuries and 3 basically 1st year QB (how could it not light it up with undrafted, part time college starter Jeff Tuel!!!). In his first 3 games last year, he had 17 catches for 239 yards and 2 tds. He was off to the best start of his career. Against NO later in the year, he was the best Bill on the field.

IMO, it would be a giant mistake to trade him unless you absolutely get blown away by an offer. But hey, those are moves teams that have missed the playoffs 14 years in a row do. Scapegoat your best players and create holes to refill. But Mike Williams is a strong leader and influence for young receivers.

You realize that your point about no one else being a receiving threat makes a stronger case of why SJ is good? When your receiving core is Johnson, Nelson, and Jones, SJ will get all the defensive talent and best corners. He had a monster game against Richard Sherman. You also realize that SJ is making $2.2 million this year and isn't even the highest paid wr on the team?

Yes and no for the first half- the flip side is that any nfl offense is going to put up a couple thousand passing yards almost no matter what. As our number 1 he gets more defensive attention but he also gets more offensive attention due to the situation.

Why would anyone expect a WR/QB to have developed chemistry in 10 games?

should be

Much less when the QB missed 2 weeks of his first NFL trading camp and Stevie struggled with his own injuries so they missed a ton of practice time together. Hot pocket mentality some folks have.

I do agree that every player should be on trading block. But you need to be blown away by the offer.

I'm calling BS on this decline. He's 27, so he's just entering the agreed upon prime for receivers. He struggled with injuries and 3 basically 1st year QB (how could it not light it up with undrafted, part time college starter Jeff Tuel!!!). In his first 3 games last year, he had 17 catches for 239 yards and 2 tds. He was off to the best start of his career. Against NO later in the year, he was the best Bill on the field.

IMO, it would be a giant mistake to trade him unless you absolutely get blown away by an offer. But hey, those are moves teams that have missed the playoffs 14 years in a row do. Scapegoat your best players and create holes to refill. But Mike Williams is a strong leader and influence for young receivers.

I really think you overestimate his talent and production. His production the last few seasons is pretty similar to Mike Williams's (although both had down years last year). Neither is a true number one in any case: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/16239/steve-johnson .

Could he get us a 2nd? If Mike Evans is there we grab him and go with a evans, williams, woods goodwin combo. I love mike evans as a player but we better be able to upgrade another position with that 2nd rounder. Stevie put up 600 yards in 12 games with multiple qb's...what would happen if ej stays healthy the whole season?

Yes and no for the first half- the flip side is that any nfl offense is going to put up a couple thousand passing yards almost no matter what. As our number 1 he gets more defensive attention but he also gets more offensive attention due to the situation.

Agreed overall. But in 2012, Calvin Johnson only had 5 tds (for the bad readers, I'm not saying SJ is anywhere close to Calvin). Is that a reflection on Calvin Johnson or the amount of attention he gets? NE, which specializes in taking away what you do best on offense, will take away SJ and the Bills' running game. Who else besides Johnson did you fear on the Bills: Donald Jones and David Nelson?

This makes no sense to me. You finally are getting legit talent around good players like SJ and CJ, who are 27 and 26, and folks want to trade them away? Very smart.

Much less when the QB missed 2 weeks of his first NFL trading camp and Stevie struggled with his own injuries so they missed a ton of practice time together. Hot pocket mentality some folks have.

I do agree that every player should be on trading block. But you need to be blown away by the offer.

Yup - they missed a TON of time together. Coupled with strict practice rules on contact and such and it's not shocking that they had issues when things were full speed/full contact. Even the weeks they both managed to be in the lineup there were times one or the other was limited.

No reason to dump him like Lynch. If a team were to make an offer the Bills couldn't refuse obviously you take it.

Just don't see an NFL GM making a big offer for an often injured WR that's claim to fame is a batman quote or dropping a ball and blaming god.

It just doesn't add up.

At this point, I'm all in on Whaley....if he believes SJ is better served in the BILLS interests on another team with either a player or Draft pick or some combination of the two in return, then I'll accept it....given the WRs the BILLS already have on their roster and the plethora of WR talent available in the Draft, not just early but deep in the Draft, I would assume the BILLS have a plan in mind to replace SJ in some respect or another while obtaining value elsewhere, ala trade with Philly for their 1st Round DE they were trying to trade a few weeks back....not suggesting, just giving an example...in the end, I trust Whaley....that's bottom line for me.

I really paid attention to 5 years 36.25 million. Somewhere he was purported to get a 1.75 mil roster bonus this year at the start of the league year. So you're saying his salary is .7 mil? However it's paid out it is still salary.

yea, when you have Nelson and Jones being the best receiver on a poor team is great. I'm not saying he doesn't have value. I am hoping the Bills do pull the trigger on one of two potentially great receivers. Having a true superstar receiver could really turn the teams fortunes around. Can SJ13 be happy as a full time slot receiver, and play second fiddle to a bona fide number one? I don't know, but if he stay's and I suspect he will that may be his best value to the team. It isn't a stretch to say there was little if any chemistry between him and EJ last season. I guess some can blame it on the O-line.

Like everyone here I want the Bills to dominate. I want Marrone's program to kick butt. But I'm not delusional to believe for a second that OBD is content with SJ13 as their go to guy.

I'm a fan of Stevie the guy rather than the player. He is an average receiver and would be a #2 or #3 on any other team but since he has been our only decent receiver his stats are inflated. Very similar situation to Lee Evans. If another team wants to give us #1 receiver value for him in a trade then do it! I would miss him as a person though. He loves Buffalo and the fans and he brings a lot of swag and confidence to the team

If the Bills are talking about dealing Stevie I would imagine that they are trying to get Watkins or Evans. Maybe it would be something like Stevie & 9 to his hometown Raiders for the 5th pick? I mentioned it in another thread but McShay was saying that the Raiders love Lewan. There would still be a good chance that he would be there at 9. The Bills could get 1 of the elite players (if Stevie is going its probably WR) & the Raiders would get a good WR & the OT that they want.

I am as big a Stevie fan as anyone but if the cost for Watkins was SJ13 and #9 I wouldn't be able to accept fast enough. I am all in on Sammy and wouldn't hesitate to give the 9, 41 and next years #1 to get him.

I like Watkins but I don't know if I am all in on him like that. They had a list of top 10 ten draft picks of receivers that have been taken in the last 15 years on the radio this morning that are under 6'2. The list was unimpressive. I would be careful with Watkins. If you think your getting Calvin Johnson or Fitzgerald I think your going to be really disappointed. Sammy is not built like those guys.

Edited by Gordio

I really think you overestimate his talent and production. His production the last few seasons is pretty similar to Mike Williams's (although both had down years last year). Neither is a true number one in any case: http://www.footballo...9/steve-johnson .

Vincent Jackson >>>>> Donald jones/ David Nelson. also, he's completely broken now, but Josh Freeman early in his career was better than any QB SJ has ever played with. I just don't see how you get better by trading productive players in their prime. Even if SJ isn't a true #1, he will be a damn good #2 and a great #3.