Rumor: (per Chris Wesseling of nfl.com) Stevie Johnson on the trading

This may be a bunch of nothing, but on Wednesday's 'NFL.com, Around the League Podcast,' Chris Wesseling (who is normally considered to be a professional, reliable reporter) said:

Wesseling: "Trade for Stevie Johnson, who I've heard is on the market."

Rosenthal: "Where have you heard this, just floating around?"

Wesseling: "Whispers... around the league."

[ just after the 26-minute mark of the podcast ]

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie" presser at the precamp camp is kind of strange.... he wore his back pack the whole time and fiddled with the straps, also looked kind of bored and distant.... very artist like actually, I sort of liked it. He also seemed much more on the EJ train. I sort of doubt the Bills would trade away the best receiver on the roster at this point but guess if the price was right, they might gamble.

Stevie" presser at the precamp camp is kind of strange.... he wore his back pack the whole time and fiddled with the straps, also looked kind of bored and distant.... very artist like actually, I sort of liked it. He also seemed much more on the EJ train. I sort of doubt the Bills would trade away the best receiver on the roster at this point but guess if the price was right, they might gamble.

to be fair, stevie usually wears a backpack to his pressers

presumably because he feels that doing so increases his level of swag

I am not a Steve Johnson hater. I think, If he gets his **** straight, that Mike Williams is going to be a pretty significant addition to the Bills roster. With Williams, Woods (seems to be getting overlooked by many), Goodwin...and to a lesser extent Graham, Hogan, etc etc...the Bills have a pretty decent set of receivers, with or without Steve Johnson. So, if the Bills could get something useful in return, I think I would be open to the idea of trading him. However, I just don't see that he, on his own, is going to net anything significant. We have seen countless guys over the last few years, with better credentials (perceived or real) than Steve Johnson net close to nothing in a trade. That doesn't mean, at all, to say I think he sucks, or has no value. I have little doubt, if the Bills released him, he would sign somewhere quickly and be productive....New England comes to mind. New Orleans..

If Pettine likes Johnson than trading up for Watkins could make sense. Greg Little doesn't cut it as far as a #2 WR goes.

Interesting. I hadn't though about the Browns. I still think they would want more than our #9, and Stevie to move up.

My take is that Stevie has to be considered as part of the Stevie-Fitz combination. I feel that those two guys shared a lot of brain cells and Stevie could do unplanned moves that Fritz understood and they together could complete a lot of short and intermediate range passes. (I used to play soccer at a pretty high level and there were some guys that I could push a blind pass to and they would be right there- other, very good players, were just not tuned into the same celestrial channel and would give a WTF glance to you when you gave the ball away). I look at EJ as not having that specific connection to Steve Johnson, so the Bills will not get that same return from Johnson- maybe not as much as other WR already on the roster and certainly not as much as Johnson's cap hit justifies. Good time to trade him and move on.

This may be a bunch of nothing, but on Wednesday's 'NFL.com, Around the League Podcast,' Chris Wesseling (who is normally considered to be a professional, reliable reporter) said:

Wesseling: "Trade for Stevie Johnson, who I've heard is on the market."

Rosenthal: "Where have you heard this, just floating around?"

Wesseling: "Whispers... around the league."

[ just after the 26-minute mark of the podcast ]

Again, if the objective is winning, you don't let your best Safety walk, and then draft a replacement for him in the 1st round, and you don't get rid of your best receiver, and draft a replacement for him in the 1st round. All you're doing is spinning the wheels. It makes absolutely no sense for the Bills to trade Stevie Johnson and then look to draft someone to replace him.

Interesting. I hadn't though about the Browns. I still think they would want more than our #9, and Stevie to move up.

I am as big a Stevie fan as anyone but if the cost for Watkins was SJ13 and #9 I wouldn't be able to accept fast enough. I am all in on Sammy and wouldn't hesitate to give the 9, 41 and next years #1 to get him.

I used to play soccer at a pretty high level and there were some guys that I could push a blind pass to and they would be right there- other, very good players, were just not tuned into the same celestrial channel and would give a WTF glance to you when you gave the ball away.

Hahaha. I've been there... many a time. :D

Funny thing,I was on the John Murphy show that day. I asked what he thought about trading our 1st and Stevie to move up to the 3rd spot and getting Sammy Watkins if there. Well ,he seemed a little shocked at that. The Bills are committed to Stevie crap and so on.

Again, if the objective is winning, you don't let your best Safety walk, and then draft a replacement for him in the 1st round, and you don't get rid of your best receiver, and draft a replacement for him in the 1st round. All you're doing is spinning the wheels. It makes absolutely no sense for the Bills to trade Stevie Johnson and then look to draft someone to replace him.

I agree, he is also hard for Revis to cover. The Bills look ok at WR and TE for this season. Rebuild the OL this draft or EJ and CJ get shut down again.

Word around town is that Mike Williams is the Bills number 1 WR. This shows how much players like SJ13 are a dime a dozen in the NFL. But Hey, hold that backpack tightly. You might need to pack your crap!

The Bills simply do not subscribe to this philosophy. Then again, the Bills do not win.

Word around town is that Mike Williams is the Bills number 1 WR

In Brazil the town talks about Stevie and Mike Williams ?

That's pretty cool.

I am as big a Stevie fan as anyone but if the cost for Watkins was SJ13 and #9 I wouldn't be able to accept fast enough. I am all in on Sammy and wouldn't hesitate to give the 9, 41 and next years #1 to get him.

Ditto....and hope Stevie crushes it for his new team.

My take is that Stevie has to be considered as part of the Stevie-Fitz combination. I feel that those two guys shared a lot of brain cells and Stevie could do unplanned moves that Fritz understood and they together could complete a lot of short and intermediate range passes. (I used to play soccer at a pretty high level and there were some guys that I could push a blind pass to and they would be right there- other, very good players, were just not tuned into the same celestrial channel and would give a WTF glance to you when you gave the ball away). I look at EJ as not having that specific connection to Steve Johnson, so the Bills will not get that same return from Johnson- maybe not as much as other WR already on the roster and certainly not as much as Johnson's cap hit justifies. Good time to trade him and move on.

Yeah - and for whatever reason it was pretty clear that Manuel and Stevie didn't seem to have any chemistry.

I love Stevie too, but I wouldn't be shocked by this sort of move.

This discussion is not about Byrd. The Bills did the right thing. NO overpaid for him and the Bills do not have the luxury of being able to overpay for one player. Safeties are a dime a dozen. This is about Stevie Johnson and I agree they should not trade him.