Odd headline concerning Marrone's health

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Statement from Marrone:

"During a recent doctor's visit, it was discovered that I had a cancerous mole on my skin, which has since been removed. The only follow up required is to have my moles checked every three months and that basically is the end of the story. The recent extraction procedure will have no effect on my ability to coach the team moving forward."

Depends on whether "cancerous mole" = melanoma or not. If yes, then it is potentially, now or later, a "biggie."

Exactly... That was my first thought.

Cancerous mole = malignant melanoma. The earlier these are caught the better. Mark Spitz is a survivor. Bob Marley die from one under his nail.

It could be squamous or basal cell as well I would think...

Edited by SmokinES3

Statement from Marrone:

"During a recent doctor's visit, it was discovered that I had a cancerous mole on my skin, which has since been removed. The only follow up required is to have my moles checked every three months and that basically is the end of the story. The recent extraction procedure will have no effect on my ability to coach the team moving forward."

if a mole is suspected of being cancerous by a dermatologist - you can look up the factors - it, and some surrounding tissue, is removed and examined by a pathologist for cancer cells. if cancer cells are found, tests are performed to find which lymph nodes the cancer could have spread to first. these 'sentinel nodes' are removed and examined. treatment then varies - depending on what's found.

i went through this process earlier this year, and my 3 month scan is coming up in a month. if Marrone's treatment began and ended with the removal of the mole, it wasn't cancerous. Otherwise, he went through the same process - including surgery - and was also found to be clear.

if a mole is suspected of being cancerous by a dermatologist - you can look up the factors - it, and some surrounding tissue, is removed and examined by a pathologist for cancer cells. if cancer cells are found, tests are performed to find which lymph nodes the cancer could have spread to first. these 'sentinel nodes' are removed and examined. treatment then varies - depending on what's found.

i went through this process earlier this year, and my 3 month scan is coming up in a month. if Marrone's treatment began and ended with the removal of the mole, it wasn't cancerous. Otherwise, he went through the same process - including surgery - and was also found to be clear.

Not true.

Basal cell skin cancer and squamous cell skin cancers don't need metastatic workups or lymph node biopsy or other therapy beyond surgical removal (or ablation)--unless they are very large or the patient has clinically positive nodes--very rare.

Melanoma is different.

Marrone syas his cancerous mole (now gone) requires no further therapy.

Not sure why the team decided to make this public at all. Makes no sense.

Not true.

Basal cell skin cancer and squamous cell skin cancers don't need metastatic workups or lymph node biopsy or other therapy beyond surgical removal (or ablation)--unless they are very large or the patient has clinically positive nodes--very rare.

Melanoma is different.

Marrone syas his cancerous mole (now gone) requires no further therapy.

Not sure why the team decided to make this public at all. Makes no sense.

Thanks for the correction, Mr Weo. I've spent the last couple months staring down worst case melanoma scenarios, and totally disregarded the existence of less threatening forms of skin cancer in my remarks. Coach may want to trade his visor for a cap this season.