Camp Manuel

http://www.nj.com/je..._shows_dev.html

Sounded somewhat familiar. Hopefully, their careers do not follow the same trajectory.

At the same point, I'm sure Peyton and a lot of successful QBs have done the same. Why not point to them?

And Sanchez and Manuel had very similar rookie years. EJ completed 58.8% of his passes with 11 tds and 9 ints, 197.2 yards/ game, 77.7 QB rating, 2 game winning drives, sacked 28 times in 10 games. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00.htm

Sanchez completed 53.8%, 12 tds, 20 ints, 162.9 yards/ game, 63 Qb rating, 1 game winning drive, sacked 26 times in 15 games. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SancMa00.htm And the Jets made the AFC championship game.

So EJ put him better stats in less games and didn't play on a team that had the talent to almost make a Super Bowl. Great example. :)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the same point, I'm sure Peyton and a lot of successful QBs have done the same. Why not point to them?

And Sanchez and Manuel had very similar rookie years. EJ completed 58.8% of his passes with 11 tds and 9 ints, 197.2 yards/ game, 77.7 QB rating, 2 game winning drives, sacked 28 times in 10 games. http://www.pro-footb.../M/ManuEJ00.htm

Sanchez completed 53.8%, 12 tds, 20 ints, 162.9 yards/ game, 63 Qb rating, 1 game winning drive, sacked 26 times in 15 games. http://www.pro-footb.../S/SancMa00.htm And the Jets made the AFC championship game.

So EJ put him better stats in less games and didn't play on a team that had the talent to almost make a Super Bowl. Great example. :)

This

http://www.nj.com/je..._shows_dev.html

Sounded somewhat familiar. Hopefully, their careers do not follow the same trajectory.

I don't think you can compare the two in a vacuum. Sanchez was already accused of being a little distracted. EJ has been the model of what you're rookie QB should be off the field. Edited by JaxBills

I don't think you can compare the two in a vacuum. Sanchez was already accused of being a little distracted. EJ has been the model of what you're rookie QB should be off the field.

Yep - Sanchez threw that together in between GQ photo shoots and trolling underage girls in NY clubs.

Yep - Sanchez threw that together in between GQ photo shoots and trolling underage girls in NY clubs.

Consider it a "slow down, kids at play" sign on the road to giddiness and throwing a ticker tape parade. There is nothing wrong with your QB getting more comfortable with his teammates. The only "comparison" my post actually made was the hope that Manuel is better than Sanchez. Is that wrong?

Consider it a "slow down, kids at play" sign on the road to giddiness and throwing a ticker tape parade. There is nothing wrong with your QB getting more comfortable with his teammates. The only "comparison" my post actually made was the hope that Manuel is better than Sanchez. Is that wrong?

Of course not... Sanchez's reputation with the Jets was that he did not have a strong work ethic, that he wasn't focused on getting better at his job and was distracted by other things that many will say are forgiveable given he was a young, single millionaire. His efforts in 2011 that you cited were perhaps an attempt to overcome that. What I meant by pointing that out is that these two situations are very different and lots of QBs hold these little camps during the offseason, but it seems to align very well with what we know/have been told about EJ. I don't think anyone was surprised to see him do this, but I was pleased to see him take control of it, run all the plays, hold SJ accountable for being in lockstep, etc. EJ didn't need to overcome a poor reputation, he added to what was already a very strong reputation for work ethic. This year is set up to be very different than last based on where he was last year at this time.No one knows how it will play out. All that said, I do hope EJ reaches two AFC Championship games like Sanchez did, however, I do not hope the ultimate career result is the same. Where is Sanchez now, anyway?

Edit: I just remembered he signed on with the All-Pac-10 Eagles QB squad

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not at all. My point is why pick Sanchez when there are probably tons of successful QBs who have done the same thing. Especially because EJ had a much better rookie year on a much less talented team.

Not at all. My point is why pick Sanchez when there are probably tons of successful QBs who have done the same thing. Especially because EJ had a much better rookie year on a much less talented team.

Well, we have you to make arguments of similarity between EJ and Peyton for starters. B-)

PS: I'm fine with enthusiasm, but staying centered is ok in my book too. ;)

PPS: I'm in the camp of hopeful but definitely not completely sold fans. HTH.

Hopeful is the correct answer good sir. Wish that were the standard answer around here sometimes

I am optimistic. alot and often

So i am in the "Very Hopeful " group .

Encouraging.... Brady is a fine example of what relentless pursuit of proper mechanics can do.

Let's see the improvement.

I listened to this also.

Whaley has said they would " surround EJ " with all the tools.

An A for efffort on that front and the kid seems to be responding positively to all the attention .

Hopeful is the correct answer good sir. Wish that were the standard answer around here sometimes

I am optimistic. alot and often

So i am in the "Very Hopeful " group .

I tend to be a optimistic pessimist (like many here) about the team. We hope for the best but expect the worst. Or does that just make me a realist?

I tend to be a optimistic pessimist (like many here) about the team. We hope for the best but expect the worst. Or does that just make me a realist?

well at some point you will need to be not so Charlie Brown wishy washy ; )

As many have pointed out this news is meaningless in terms of wins and losses but it's about all Manual can do that time of year to try and help during the season. Why be negative about it? The guy's trying. And while it is true most of the great/good QBs do the same thing and many of the poor ones do as well there are some out there that aren't working as hard. We all hope it translates to wins and are worried it won't because we've been disappointed before. But I am happy to root for Manual. He seems like a decent guy doing all the right things even if it doesn't work out for him. I think this team is shaping up to be a fun, interesting team to root for and that's better than the alternative.

Edited by timtebow15

That's great, but he needs to perform on the field. We have had perceived leaders, we need performance. Winning on the field is all that matters in the NFL.

Something Kelly wasnt very good at(winning) his first few years in the league until he had more talent around him and more experience.

One thing im sure of is EJ wont fail due to lack of effort. He has the work ethic and the character needed to succeed in this league. Time will tell if that is enough. Certainly are enough people out there who have already written him off. Of course they are the same people who write pretty much everything off. Whether its football or life in general.

And Sanchez and Manuel had very similar rookie years. EJ completed 58.8% of his passes with 11 tds and 9 ints, 197.2 yards/ game, 77.7 QB rating, 2 game winning drives, sacked 28 times in 10 games. http://www.pro-footb.../M/ManuEJ00.htm

Sanchez completed 53.8%, 12 tds, 20 ints, 162.9 yards/ game, 63 Qb rating, 1 game winning drive, sacked 26 times in 15 games. http://www.pro-footb.../S/SancMa00.htm And the Jets made the AFC championship game.

Bit of a stretch to call those stats similar.

If Manuel fails it wont be for lack of trying and work ethic. Everyone knew Manuel was "RAW" coming out of college. The talent and the tools are there but they need to be coached up and developed.

Thing is, most players coming out of college have boat loads of talent and ability. Few have the drive and determination to succeed.

I feel that is one of the main reasons that Manuel become a first rounder in Buffalo's eyes. You will see QBs of similiar build and similar tool sets like Manuel go later in drafts. The reason Manuel asscended (among other things) was because Buffalo knew that they could get Manuel to that level because he him self will do whatever it takes to get to that level.