Sammy Watkins - interesting article on MMQB regarding his size

The NFL’s Next Big Thing Isn’t Really Big at All

But Clemson wideout Sammy Watkins has the strength to outmuscle linebackers and the speed to leave cornerbacks in his dust. Can this potential top five pick break the mold, or will he just end up breaking a general manager’s heart?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft/

Thanks. Good read. I'm of the opinion that Watkins may not be a just, but he will not become an elite talent in the NFL. Not worthy of a top 10 pick IMO. What's funny, is that his measurables remind me of Stevie in a sense. Nothing spectacular, nothing horrible either. He'll probably be Stevie Johnson at best as far as statistics goes.

I'm gonna have to trust y'all on this one. Way back in December or January stats of the top 4 receivers were laid out. Like this article it pointed out that over 51% of Watkins catches were at or behind the LOS. That skeers the crap out of me!

But, sentiment for him is so strong that I'll set my preconceptions aside & expect great things from Watkins. (no sarcasm)

If by some miracle he falls to us I will do backflips. I couldn't care less about his measured height, I trust my eyes. Complete stud an perennial all pro.

consensus says your right. Some of us think your on crack. Not many. But some.

He catches a lot of screen passes. Bills are probably skeered too, considering screens are considered a trick play around these parts.

I'll go off topic, hopefully won't derail the thread.

(I said much the same thing in another thread this morning) Hackett had to be overwhelmed last year. First year as an NFL OC. QB's dropping like flies. No QB coach. No majordomo to whisper in his ear. He now has Hostler as majordomo and Dowling as QB coach.

I expect (with consistent QB play) to see the offense grow by leaps and bounds this season. The o-line needs another starter. WR and/or TE will be further addressed in the draft. They added to RB depth in FA and they'll do more in the draft.

Better weapons, better protection, better running lanes, better passing lanes, better field position (core special teamers), better play calling...

(I said much the same thing in another thread this morning) Hackett had to be overwhelmed last year. First year as an NFL OC. QB's dropping like flies. No QB coach. No majordomo to whisper in his ear. He now has Hostler as majordomo and Dowling as QB coach.

I expect (with consistent QB play) to see the offense grow by leaps and bounds this season. The o-line needs another starter. WR and/or TE will be further addressed in the draft. They added to RB depth in FA and they'll do more in the draft.

Better weapons, better protection, better running lanes, better passing lanes, better field position (core special teamers), better play calling...

to right the rails this is a reason why we do not need Watkins.

Offensively we have skillset talent and weapons ti be effective but we don't have the security to maintain a defense for those weapons. I don't mean defense defense. I mean players to defend the skillset players. Those are known as safe picks or OL. A safe pick could be a strong TE that blocks and converts 3 yard passes to 4 yard passes in 3rd and 4. Or a safe pick of a RB that that can move a pile and run for positive yards inside the hashes 90% of the time. Or, obviously an OL player who provides and improvement to our unit and fortifies a position of weakness preferably - if we like to run right side and have a bad RG we need a good RG.

These are reasons why Ebron, Watkins, Evans and a few of those fringe of the top 12 players and top 4 or 5 skillset players don't intrigue me.

Watkins is a great college player and he could be amazing in the NFL but we can't hedge our offensive hopes on could be.

I couldn't agree with you more!

6-10……..ahhhh I'm just kidding.

Just watch the full tape of this years Orange Bowl vs Ohio State. That might have been the most individually dominant game of anyone in FBS this season. He was unstoppable... I think that answers the questions on size. They KNEW he was getting the ball and couldn't stop him.

Just watch the full tape of this years Orange Bowl vs Ohio State. That might have been the most individually dominant game of anyone in FBS this season. He was unstoppable... I think that answers the questions on size. They KNEW he was getting the ball and couldn't stop him.

Receivers did that to OSU all season. Watch the Wisconsin game, or just look at the stats (they were lit up by a projected 4-5 round pick Abbrederes). That's not the only game, but it's the one that jumps into my mind.

I'm not saying this as a slam on Watkins, but, don't use OSU as a guide.

I've been a fan of this team too long to know that while I'll 100% agree that we have reason to be optimistic on offense, if that comes to fruition, we're all but guaranteed the defense will regress significantly.

Receivers did that to OSU all season. Watch the Wisconsin game, or just look at the stats (they were lit up by a projected 4-5 round pick Abbrederes). That's not the only game, but it's the one that jumps into my mind.

I'm not saying this as a slam on Watkins, but, don't use OSU as a guide.

The OB is not a valid measurement. Not a slam on Watkins whatsoever. But on one TD he was left in single coverage by a true freshman safety playing in first college game. They played almost all backups and freshmen in the secondary, he didn't have to face Roby (not that I believe it would have made much difference) in the bowl game and were missing 2-3 D linemen. At least in the Wisc game, Abbrederis was being covered by a potential 1st rd pick in Roby and put up 227 , and that was IN Columbus. With all the defensive starters. OSU has shown they cannot defend the screen pass ever since 2010, and Clemson knew they could run an all-screen pass offense in that game and they did. BTW Martavis Bryant has his way in the end zone as well. Edited by YoloinOhio

He catches a lot of screen passes. Bills are probably skeered too, considering screens are considered a trick play around these parts.

Yeah, devising the fastest way to get the ball to your best playmakers in space is indeed scary.

Problem is, we were probably the WORST screen team in the league last year, both the WRs and RBs. We were terrible. I put that on Hackett and the O coaches more than anything.

GO BILLS!!!