LT/RT Mathews or TE Ebron in R1??

I don't have insider information. We are not used to having the luxury of two excellent Tackles. It's been a while.

My guess is that Matthews will be blocking extremely well by Opening Day. Ebron will be blocking well by Octember 32:

"He's OK. He's completely overrated, and he's a pain in the (butt)," an AFC personnel executive told nj.com. "And don't ask him to block anybody, because he's not going to do it."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My order of preference for the top 9 picks is:

MY War Room Draft Board

1. OT Robinson.......A Franchise player

2. LB Mack.............Adding Mack would give the Bills one of the Best front 7's

3. DE Clowney .......Most likely will be gone

4. WR Watkins.........Most likely will be gone..But we can dream like the #3 pick

5. OT Matthews......He can play right or left tackle...in case Glenn goes down.. Bills need solid bookends to have a great line.. and to keep the QB on his feet

6. OT Lewan ......... A great athlete and can play both right and left tackle..

7. WR Evans...........Bills need a big receiver

8. TE Ebron ......... Bills need a big receive...... Evan is better than Ebron

9. LB Mosley..........Mosley would make the Bills run defense greatly improved ... He and Alonzo would make a great tandem .....

Not bad at all Owen .

I'm getting some commentary on Twitter (which I agree with) that our offense doesn't need a Chandler-Ebron to do the "Three-Tier Read" that Hackett uses. It will use two-three WRs (one deep, one intermediate route, one shallow) and just one TE. There are 3 reads on the play.

For a new QB to go through 3 reads, it takes time...given to you by a great OT.

This is what some are missing.

This one key piece in this particular puzzle would be the biggest bang for the buck and have long term positive results

okkkkay

Your entitled to your opinion on that....moving on

Robinson is head and shoulders above Lewan

Last year Lewan was talked about as a potential top pick before he announced he was going back to college, at which point Joeckle became the consensus guy.

I did not know that

IMO, the Bills offense really needs a consistent game to game mismatch at the WR or TE position. They simply do not have that right now. Since Watkins will be gone and we already have our LT of the future in Glenn, it makes no sense to pass on Ebron with the knowledge that a very good RT prospect will be there at their second pick. If they're not picking Ebron, I'd almost rather they draft Aaron Donald than Matthews since the Pats and Jets will be heavy on the run game this year and we could use the extra help for that poor run defense. I don't like the thought of picking a RT at #9 at all.

Who exactly are these great RT prospects that will be around at pick 41? I've seen similar posts countless times, yet NONE of them lists these great OT prospects that will be available. OT (both LT AND RT) are very important in the now pass-dominated NFL. Do people really think that defenses won't put a good pass rusher on the left side of their defense to take advantage of a RT who is weak at pass blocking?

If we were talking about drafting another pass rushing DE to play on the other side from Mario Williams, would people be saying "we don't need a LDE - plenty can be found in the 2nd round - NEVER draft a good pass rusher in the top 10 if you will play him at LDE, those players just need to stuff the run"?

Why do you never draft a RT in the top 10? I don't understand this POV. This isn't 1975 anymore, the game is changing. RBs used to consistently go in the top 10 but that isn't the case anymore. Matthews or Lewan are both great LT prospects. You're drafting a blue chip LT prospect in Matthews or Lewan. Granted they will play RT because that is the biggest hole on the team but doesn't change the fact they can play LT.

The best defenses have 2 great pass rushers. You need 2 good OTs that can hold their own 1on1 against these guys. Having Matthews allows you to let your TE or Spiller to run a route instead of having to stay in & block.

Priority #1 needs to be getting Manuel the most help. He can't improve if he's getting injured because the line gave up 48 sacks.

I'm sorry, but when look at Jake Matthews I just don't see a "dominant" NFL OT. I see a guy who can play anywhere on the line and play solidly there for a long time with no issues. That is great, but at #9 overall? I wouldn't be angry if they took him, but I wouldn't be that happy either. I read that Matthews' best position is probably at center since he's smallish with shorter arms than you'd like at the tackle position.

Link?

Your description of Matthews is exactly why you would take him at 9. When, in the last 14 years, have we had the OL we would have by adding Matthews?

Build the line. Give your young QB protection and rely on the running game with your one - two punch at RB. If the #9 pick yields what you say Matthews will be, I'm ok with that.

Why do you never draft a RT in the top 10? I don't understand this POV. This isn't 1975 anymore, the game is changing. RBs used to consistently go in the top 10 but that isn't the case anymore. Matthews or Lewan are both great LT prospects. You're drafting a blue chip LT prospect in Matthews or Lewan. Granted they will play RT because that is the biggest hole on the team but doesn't change the fact they can play LT.

The best defenses have 2 great pass rushers. You need 2 good OTs that can hold their own 1on1 against these guys. Having Matthews allows you to let your TE or Spiller to run a route instead of having to stay in & block.

Priority #1 needs to be getting Manuel the most help. He can't improve if he's getting injured because the line gave up 48 sacks.

Smapdi is wasn't just the line . You know that .

But the right Tackle upgrade improves the whole offense . Allows the team to run with better confidence and some more freedom than last year.

But the protection of EJ or whoever the QB is should be a priority .

Dear God let the draft get here. Mathews will not agree to play RT and you NEVER take a RIGHT TACKLE that high. If whaley does I am done with this team because he became flat stupid.

Well good luck with your new team! The Bills will make the smart pick at 9 and grab an OT. He will start at RT this year and we'll see what happens down the road. I for one, could never give up on my team because I disagree with their draft selection.

The problem I see in this thread is that folks don't seem to be able to separate positional value from player value.

It's not a case of "never take a RT with a top 10 pick", nor is it a case of "this team needs a RT so take one at 9". Those are examples of positional-value thinking.

Teams that draft well make their picks based on player value. A top 10 pick is spent on the player with the highest grade, because he has the most value. The only exceptions are QBs (which teams are nore apt to reach for) or cases where two players have graded out extremely close (in which case you take the guy that fills a bigger need).

The problem I see in this thread is that folks don't seem to be able to separate positional value from player value.

It's not a case of "never take a RT with a top 10 pick", nor is it a case of "this team needs a RT so take one at 9". Those are examples of positional-value thinking.

Teams that draft well make their picks based on player value. A top 10 pick is spent on the player with the highest grade, because he has the most value. The only exceptions are QBs (which teams are nore apt to reach for) or cases where two players have graded out extremely close (in which case you take the guy that fills a bigger need).

Completely agree...

I mean...I get the call for the flashy pick...I would love to get either Evans or Ebron...It would be exciting...But with a guy like Matthews you just can't lose...We're talking about a player that is being legitimately considered for #2 overall by St Louis...Now...I'm not saying St Louis will take him because the top of this Draft is loaded with talent and they have other needs as well...But he is being considered, and some folks think Fisher will take him over Robinson...He's NFL ready and an incredible value at #9 overall...You get a kid that could have legitimately gone #1 overall in 2013 at #9 overall in 2014...That's crazy...You have to push the positional stuff aside and realize you are getting a player that will anchor the right side of the line for a minimum of the next 5 years with the ability to slide over to LT at any time...I just don't see how that kind of value is a bad thing...

I doubt Matthews will be there at #9 anyway...But if he is, and the Bills take him, I'm A.O.K. with that pick... B-)

Smapdi is wasn't just the line . You know that .

But the right Tackle upgrade improves the whole offense . Allows the team to run with better confidence and some more freedom than last year.

But the protection of EJ or whoever the QB is should be a priority .

Oh I totally agree. The line can't be blamed for everything. Manuel was directly responsible for his major injury against CLE; he could have just went out of bounds and taken no hit but decided he needed an extra, meaningless two yards. That was all on him... no doubt about it.

A lot of the sacks were due to the terrible QB play of last season. Manuel/Lewis/Tuel missed a lot of throws and held on to the ball too long. Instead of hitting their safety valve or just throwing it away, they took a sack.

Still, improving RT does so much for the entire offense. We clearly are a run first team with the amount of carries FJax and Spiller had last season; adding Matthews gets Pears out of the lineup. It's not surprising he graded out as the worst run blocking RT in all of football. He just isn't a NFL caliber starting OT. Matthews or Lewan are so much more athletic and would do wonders for our run game. Both of them can get to the 2nd level and do some damage; those are some of the biggest blocks a RB can get. Especially a back like Spiller... he gets that one block in the 2nd level and its off to the races.

Pass protection would improve significantly as well. Both of our OT's would be able to hold their own 1 on 1 allowing for another receiving option instead of having to keep them in to help Pears out.

I wouldn't be for "reaching" for a OT. Reaching for guys to fill a need is how you end up with John McCargo. Both Lewan and Matthews are blue chip type prospects. They both would've been top 3 picks last season in a deep OT draft. They both have a ton of experience and quality starts; not just 1 year flash in the pan type prospects. They both land on the graph where need and value intersect.

I think it's quite conceivable that both Mathews and Ebron drop to #9 overall because it's likely that Manziel, Bortles, and bridgewater will be selected prior to the Bills selecting at #9 overall.

Given that scenario I think it's a win-win situation for the Bills.

The exciting pick is Ebron who has been liked to SF's TE V. Davis. He can do it all and would add a very nice dimension for the Bills at TE.

Mathews is a stud who can play both LT and RT. His bloodline (dad was a long time All-Pro) and brother (likely to be a long-time All-Pro) help to make him a very solid pick.

I would be very tempted to take Ebron, but ultimately I think I would have to select Mathews if I were forced to choose between the two. Mathews could very likely be a stud OT for 10 years plus given what his daddy did in the NFL.

Who would you choose???

Ummmm....no, he can't! He's a gifted athlete who may become a good receiving TE, but the dude can't block, can't make contested catches, and drops way too many balls. Plus, he's not very bright/academically challenged, which to me, says he's hard to "coach up."

Now, I've heard he's a better prospect as a rush OLB. This speaks to his athleticism, as he's produced on both sides of the ball and I've seen him graded out as a RD 1 H-Back/TE or a Rd 3 OLB.

All things considered, no thanks.

Matthews will not be around @ 9 when you have 3 teams in front of you who are OT needy and his talent will be too tough to pass up. Even if St. Louis passes up on an OT @ #2, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded back up and grabbed 2 top 10 picks this year. Hell, they may even try to swing a trade with us.

After reading this whole thread I've realized a couple things.

-As Astro and "Towlie - puff puff (Smapdi)" and others have cogently pointed out, RT improves our team more than any other position (except drafting a QB, or possibly a dominant 4-3 DE which might not even be anywhere in this draft).

-Whaley isnt stupid by a longshot. And he has smart people around him.

-We already have 147 Tight Ends, and now Brandon Kaufman is talking about a possible move to TE.

-Matthews will be gone by 9

-The pick will, therefore, be LEWAN.

Edited by maddenboy

Judging from past history, it appears that it'll be one of those two. I the past few years, the Bills have always spent their #1 pick on a guy who visited. Ebron and Matthews have visited so far, but no other 1st round projection players have visited (yet): http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/4/16/5620028/nfl-draft-2014-buffalo-bills-round-1-pre-draft-visitor-trend .

The one obvious thing we can glean from this -- they WILL take a TE with one of their first two picks. Three of the top TEs have visited.