LT/RT Mathews or TE Ebron in R1??

I think it's quite conceivable that both Mathews and Ebron drop to #9 overall because it's likely that Manziel, Bortles, and bridgewater will be selected prior to the Bills selecting at #9 overall.

Given that scenario I think it's a win-win situation for the Bills.

The exciting pick is Ebron who has been liked to SF's TE V. Davis. He can do it all and would add a very nice dimension for the Bills at TE.

Mathews is a stud who can play both LT and RT. His bloodline (dad was a long time All-Pro) and brother (likely to be a long-time All-Pro) help to make him a very solid pick.

I would be very tempted to take Ebron, but ultimately I think I would have to select Mathews if I were forced to choose between the two. Mathews could very likely be a stud OT for 10 years plus given what his daddy did in the NFL.

Who would you choose???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Matthews all day and most of tomorrow. Nothing against Ebron, I suspect he'll have a nice career, but if we're going TE I'd much rather snag an OT in the first and if ASJ is available in the second we've killed 3 birds with 2 stones. ASJ isn't as athletic as Ebron, but he's still got the athletecism to stretch the seam, but he blocks like a tackle. Seeing as how we're going with a run first philosophy, adding 2 major upgrades to the run blocking on the right side of the line AND adding a passing threat in the first two picks would be a win, win, win in my eyes.

I think it's quite conceivable that both Mathews and Ebron drop to #9 overall because it's likely that Manziel, Bortles, and bridgewater will be selected prior to the Bills selecting at #9 overall.

The exciting pick is Ebron who has been liked to SF's TE V. Davis. He can do it all and would add a very nice dimension for the Bills at TE.

Mathews is a stud who can play both LT and RT. His bloodline (dad was a long time All-Pro) and brother (likely to be a long-time All-Pro) help to make him a very solid pick.

I would be very tempted to take Ebron, but ultimately I think I would have to select Mathews if I were forced to choose between the two. Mathews could very likely be a stud OT for 10 years plus given what his daddy did in the NFL.

Who would you choose???

I'd choose Ebron and here's why...

1. While Matthews is the "safer" pick. In the end, he's only going to become a very solid and versatile offensive lineman nothing more and nothing less. That's great, but IMO you can find those guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2. Ebron while being more risky, is a legit game changer if they hit on him. The only knocks I've seen on him are his lack of blocking skills and his lack of TD totals. The videos I see of him is that he looks like the prototype of the new big chunk yard gobblin', TD makin', modern NFL TE.

Will he be a 2 to 5 pick reach? Perhaps, but to me that sounds silly to even say. The Bills will have no doubt a very good RT prospect at their second round pick who will eventually produce just as good or a notch below what the solid and versatile Matthews can do.

Edited by 1billsfan

Matthews has played RT and there is nothing to indicate that he wouldn't play right tackle. I just don't think he will last to 9...but if he does I'd take him. If he isn't there I'd take Lewan...If neither is there I'd go for the best wide receiver available over Ebron.

Dear God let the draft get here. Mathews will not agree to play RT and you NEVER take a RIGHT TACKLE that high. If whaley does I am done with this team because he became flat stupid.

What are you talking about he will not agree? If they draft him and say "you're playing RT" he's going to hold out, miss a season and go back into the draft next year? I tend to doubt that. And if he's the best player on their board at 9 then why not draft him and, if deemed the right decision, put him at RT? That would potentially give the Bills one hell of an OL. I couldn't find fault in that.

Personally, I want the Bills to trade back, pick up another 2nd rounder and get Ebron, Mosely . Take an OT w/one of the 2nd round picks.

St. Louis is the team to watch out for regarding Mathews because Fisher is all too familiar with the Mathews' family football prowess. If Fisher doesn't take Mathews I think he could easily slide to the Bills at #9 because I really think that the teams selecting ahead of the Bills will not be able to resist the three QBs that I've mentioned above.

I would not trade down out of the #9 slot because after the first 9-10 picks the quality begins to dwindle noticeably.

Mathews is a franchise player. If he's anything close to the player that his dad was and that his brother is then you know what I'm talking about. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Mathews has very few if any question marks and can start immediately at both LT and RT.

Ebron has a few question marks, which is what tips the scale in Mathews' favor.

I don't see WR Evans in the same class as both Mathews and Ebron.

This draft should be about helping to make Buffalo's franchise player a better player and a player who can play through 16 games and beyond. If we're going to make the decision to go all in on EJ as our starting QB, which appears to be the case, then we had better surround him with better players.

I think Mathews, Ebron, and Evans all belong in the conversation, but I think Mathews helps to make EJ a better player more than the other two. Mathews would be our best OL. Anybody the Bills take in R2 would be lucky to be the 3rd or 4th best OL. That would not be improving the O-line very much.

With Mathews the Bills' starting O-line would look like this:

Glenn/C. Williams/Wood/Urbik/Mathews OR Mathews/Urbik/Wood/C. Williams/Glenn.

That group would greatly help to improve both the running game and the passing game and give EJ the best opportunity to improve and stay healthy.

If EJ can't stay healthy we're not going to win a whole lot of games.

Who would you choose???

OT in R1 then Niklas in R2.

The Bills need a TE who can block and provide a little better receiving option than Chandler. Currently, they have Smith as a blocking TE, Chandler as a weak blocking decent outlet TE, Gragg as the speed mismatch, and Moeaki as the "how many games will he play before injured" TE. Niklas is the type of TE they need--excellent blocker and (very likely) better outlet option than Chandler.

I'd take Matthews all day and most of tomorrow. Nothing against Ebron, I suspect he'll have a nice career, but if we're going TE I'd much rather snag an OT in the first and if ASJ is available in the second we've killed 3 birds with 2 stones. ASJ isn't as athletic as Ebron, but he's still got the athletecism to stretch the seam, but he blocks like a tackle. Seeing as how we're going with a run first philosophy, adding 2 major upgrades to the run blocking on the right side of the line AND adding a passing threat in the first two picks would be a win, win, win in my eyes.

OK, I should have mentioned earlier...THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I AGREE TO IT. But, you have to guarantee me that Austin Seferian-Jenkins is there in round #2, and promise me he is the Bills pick. If they did that, then by all means...take whomever you want in round #1, within reason.

(Although I'd still rather get a WR or LB in the first round.)

Let me clarify something...Austin Seferian Jenkins is someone I have wanted for 2 years now, and I THINK I would rather have him over Eric Ebron. So, with that said...I was not defending Ebron earlier as MY pick, just that I would rather have a TE like him over a RT in the top-10. Hope that clears it up!

Edited by Bob Malooga

What are you talking about he will not agree? If they draft him and say "you're playing RT" he's going to hold out, miss a season and go back into the draft next year? I tend to doubt that. And if he's the best player on their board at 9 then why not draft him and, if deemed the right decision, put him at RT? That would potentially give the Bills one hell of an OL. I couldn't find fault in that.

Personally, I want the Bills to trade back, pick up another 2nd rounder and get Ebron, Mosely . Take an OT w/one of the 2nd round picks.

Yes I can see him doing exactly that. You just do not take RT's in the top 10. your suggestion in italics is my idea scenario as well. But who knows, maybe Buffalo says screw common sense and takes a RT at #9, in this passing league they took a non full time RB at #9 a few years back so who knows right?

Yes I can see him doing exactly that. You just do not take RT's in the top 10. your suggestion in italics is my idea scenario as well. But who knows, maybe Buffalo says screw common sense and takes a RT at #9, in this passing league they took a non full time RB at #9 a few years back so who knows right?

He's not going to do that.