Who believes in Manuel?

I see some Big Ben in his play.

I think thats my ceiling for him.

I have faith in him bc he has the moxie and leadership abilities you want. Hes authentic. He never points the finger. Hes coachable.

I saw enough good to be optimistic. There was bad sure. But I wasnt dumb enough to think we drafted Peyton Manning. So far, Imo we picked the best QB in that class. And everyone knew he would need time and work.

Not remotely worried about him.

I agree with everything you posted. However, there was no mention of the most important attribute (in my opinion ) of a QB -- confidence. EJ doesn't seem to have it. He is a little fearful of throwing into coverage & letting his receiver work for the ball. He will not get to be a playoff QB until he uses his skill set confidently. His arm strength is average to above average; his accuracy is below average to average; & his confidence is below average. I think that he will improve but I would like to see him acquire a little cockiness. Of course that will come with success. Hopefully, if we surround him with talent, there will be some success. We shall see

Having said that, I still think that the Bills should trade down so they have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. They then can afford to go for a QB in one of the later rounds. If EJ can't handle a little competition, well that would be telling I suppose.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you posted. However, there was no mention of the most important attribute (in my opinion ) of a QB -- confidence. EJ doesn't seem to have it. He is a little fearful of throwing into coverage & letting his receiver work for the ball. He will not get to be a playoff QB until he uses his skill set confidently. His arm strength is average to above average; his accuracy is below average to average; & his confidence is below average. I think that he will improve but I would like to see him acquire a little cockiness. Of course that will come with success. Hopefully, if we surround him with talent, there will be some success. We shall see

Having said that, I still think that the Bills should trade down so they have 5 picks in the first 4 rounds. They then can afford to go for a QB in one of the later rounds. If EJ can't handle a little competition, well that would be telling I suppose.

He does not and has never had a "feel" for the game. That's all there is to it. He's not going to ever go out there and anticipate and confidently zip the ball around manipulating and destroying defenses. He's a cautious "take what is there" QB. Not going to be anything better than average (at best).

He does not and has never had a "feel" for the game. That's all there is to it. He's not going to ever go out there and anticipate and confidently zip the ball around manipulating and destroying defenses. He's a cautious "take what is there" QB. Not going to be anything better than average (at best).

Cite 10 successful QBs in the history of the NFL who "anticipated and confidently zipped the ball around manipulating and destroying defenses" within the first 10 games of their careers.

I think this league has gotten absolutely ridiculous when it comes to developing quarterbacks. I know the college game is far more advanced offensively than it was twenty years ago but NFL offenses and defenses are more complex than ever. Yet we expect rookies to come in immediately and perform like ten year vets. I dont know how Manuel will wind up but its way to early to call it a day on him. Sub par o-line. Average to Below average tight ends. Below average receiving core(because of their youth). Your best RB was hurt all year plus a rookie coordinator and for some inexplicable reason many feel anything less than 40 tds 10 ints 4500 yards and a 70% completion percentage was unacceptable. This year is key. If he can get his completion percentage above 60, throw for 25 tds and keep the ints below fifteen and throw for at least 3500 yards that will be progress. Those are comparable to Russell Wilsons numbers last year. Buffalo runs an offense that is much closer to seattle and san fran than denver. If he throws for more than 4000 yards with the others numbers being around the same as above it will be a phenomenal seaon for him. Would also like the yards per attempt get above 7. If there isnt significant improvement this year thats a problem and your probably going to want to draft someone again next year.

Oh my bad.

I think hes more like Jamarcus Russel.

Lets see. Lazy disinterested drug addicted bust vs. EJ. Real solid comparison. Typical EJ hater comment. Ill bet you'd love him if he was getting in bar fights and had a dozen domestic battery convictions.

Cite 10 successful QBs in the history of the NFL who "anticipated and confidently zipped the ball around manipulating and destroying defenses" within the first 10 games of their careers.

Dan Marino is the only one I can think of and as we all know that candy a$$ never won a superbowl.

I love how every comparison is to another black QB.

Maybe a move would be best for this team.

I know what you mean but you would find this on any message board for any team. I think that it's a reflex. These comparisons in themselves are not an indictment of racism and unless you know the individual poster, it's unfair to cast those types of aspersions.

Back to EJ: I don't think that he is or ever will be a pure passer. I think that he can succeed in this league, but I doubt if he will unless he utilizes his ability to run it himself. This would soften defenses and help him develop.

And as others have said, if the Bills see a QB they really like they should draft him. If EJ is good he will keep his job. If not, we will need another QB.

At least stick an "IMO" at the end of a post like that.

I was being sarcastic. I said in my opinion EJ has a game similar to and a potential ceiling like Big Ben.

Someone replied that its ridiculous to compare the 2 bc Ben won 2 super bowls his first 6 yrs in the league.

So I guess you can only compare EJ to guys that stink.

Did I quote the wrong post? If so sorry...that response was for another poster who has thrice sated his/her opinion as an end-all incontrovertible fact.

As for the Russell comparison, I had a feeling it was a joke, which is why I asked.

Edited by thebandit27

At least stick an "IMO" at the end of a post like that.

I hate this misconception. Just about everything posted on here is ISO. It's not necessary to put after every little thing, ESPECIALLY when the point clearly is not a fact.

Not to mention the fact that IMO hurts an argument. Why would you ever admit you might be wrong? Stick to your convictions.

1.) Forming "opinions" is one thing, making any determination about whether he will be a successful QB or not is quite another. I see a TON of determinations being made in the guise of opinions.

This is a fan message board. It goes without saying that fans are going to express opinions here. It's up to you to accept the process or not.

I love how every comparison is to another black QB.

Maybe a move would be best for this team.

I don't think that is true. The JaMarcus Russell thing was ironic because someone said to the poster he couldn't compare EJ to Big Ben and Russell was clearly chosen as the last high profile 1st pick bust.

I've seen EJ compared in various ways and at various stages in this thread to Andy Dalton, Big Ben, Joe Flacco... none of them are black. Culpepper is obviously, but I don't think that was the reason for the comparison - again I think it was people talking about what they think his ceiling might be.

Put me in the "wait and see" camp for Manuel.

I'm certainly willing to give "the most important" position on the team a little time to develop. Why is it that fans say, "it takes X years for position X to adjust to the NFL" but we aren't willing to give the QB position the same? Where has all this need for immediate verification of players come from? Yea, players have come to the NFL and been success right away. But, I'm willing to bet that more of them have needed a little time to develop than the one's with immediate success.

And, in the end, the Bills have said that's their plan, they are happy with Manuel. So all we as fans can do is wait and see

Another thing to keep in mind is that it was known from the start he was a "project" QB that would need some time coming out of FSU.

He missed valuable preseason time & a ton of practice reps due to injury. Only played in 10 games.

On top of that, we had a rookie coaching staff implementing a new system. Everyone needed time to adjust.

Then factor in the terrible line play & I don't understand how you could call him a bust after last season.

This year will be a much better indication of where his career is going. He will have a full NFL off-season & will get to work with his WRs right now to develop some raport. The QB / WR relationship is huge- when they know what the other is going to do in different situations, life is much easier.

This is a fan message board. It goes without saying that fans are going to express opinions here. It's up to you to accept the process or not.

I have no problems with the process. Nor do I have any problems with opinions. I have a problem with opinions disguised as incontrovertible facts, views so entrenched that there is no room for honest discussion, and those who seek to put words in my mouth because they lack basic understanding of the language.

GO BILLS!!!

It amazes me how thin skinned some on here are. Some take every chance available to take offense to a perceived slight.

Here's a quote for those of you who feel vilified for your positive/negative opinions on Manuel:

"You know what I'm going to get for you for Christmas, (insert either "Hater" or "Hugger")? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it."

From The Ref. Love that quote.