Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just during the Emmys, people joking that the creators told them Snow was coming back. That and the confirmations from Kit himself that he's on set.

and that he is filming right now a big battle scene etc.This is within the past week guys.

And a statement in an interview that he's under contract with the show past his 30th birthday (he's 28 now)

And a statement in an interview that he's under contract with the show past his 30th birthday (he's 28 now)

Yup. Pretty much the wort kept secret in Hollywood. Makes you wonder why they even tried. The only thing I can think of that makes sense is they wanted to give GRRM the chance to answer the question in the book before the next season starts.

Yup. Pretty much the wort kept secret in Hollywood. Makes you wonder why they even tried. The only thing I can think of that makes sense is they wanted to give GRRM the chance to answer the question in the book before the next season starts.

:lol:

Yeah, because that's going to happen.

hahaha

it won't matter it's going to be epic and rating heavens for HBO anyway.

Yep.

I have long been of the opinion that readers need to take the show and the books as two separate entities. I do, however, believe that the major plot points will be largely spoiled by the next 3 seasons. Somehow, I'm not all that bothered by it. As much as I enjoy the books and GRRM's writing, the idea that he's taking so incredibly long to produce his work makes me believe that he's not that interested in finishing it, which means I probably shouldn't be so bothered if I see it before I read it.

Yep.

I have long been of the opinion that readers need to take the show and the books as two separate entities. I do, however, believe that the major plot points will be largely spoiled by the next 3 seasons. Somehow, I'm not all that bothered by it. As much as I enjoy the books and GRRM's writing, the idea that he's taking so incredibly long to produce his work makes me believe that he's not that interested in finishing it, which means I probably shouldn't be so bothered if I see it before I read it.

Could be GRRM said do what you want. That way the readers will not give up on the books.

Yep.

GRRM's biggest problem is, well, his editor.

When the size of your series goes from 3 planned books, to 5, to 7, to now maybe 8, you're making mistakes. Especially when it's almost a 20 year affair to finish them.

I'm torn on the show/book spoiled thing. I do hate getting spoiled, but the show is good consolation if it never gets published. Hopefully the show writers changed Stannis' story like crazy, because that's gonna suck if it plays out very similarly.

GRRM's biggest problem is, well, his editor.

When the size of your series goes from 3 planned books, to 5, to 7, to now maybe 8, you're making mistakes. Especially when it's almost a 20 year affair to finish them.

I'm torn on the show/book spoiled thing. I do hate getting spoiled, but the show is good consolation if it never gets published. Hopefully the show writers changed Stannis' story like crazy, because that's gonna suck if it plays out very similarly.

I would say that it's more likely that they changed the circumstances surrounding how he ended up versus the actual ending...you may want to prepare for disappointment.

The Mannis is definitely gonna die, I just don't want him to lose that battle.

Yeah, well, join the club.

The way the show-runners have made Ramsey out to be this battle-tested, fierce warrior that shirtlessly takes on Ironborn, sacks Stannis' camp with his "20 good men", and triumphs over a hardened general on an open battlefield makes me sick enough as it is...if GRRM does the same thing...

Yeah, well, join the club.

The way the show-runners have made Ramsey out to be this battle-tested, fierce warrior that shirtlessly takes on Ironborn, sacks Stannis' camp with his "20 good men", and triumphs over a hardened general on an open battlefield makes me sick enough as it is...if GRRM does the same thing...

Agreed. I liked the changes to Ramsay's character, making him more charismatically psychotic rather than the pure evil brute he is in books, but the showrunners made a big mistke making him extremely competent and basically a main character. Personally, I think they didn't want to make him Joffrey 2.0 (a cruel, evil coward) so they had to make him competent, but he gets way too much screentime. I know that keeping the North arc the political powder-keg/Theon redemption story would've been a risk for the showrunners to take. Switching the scene of politics from anywhere but King's Landing would probably confuse the most of the audience a bit, but I wish they attempted it. Instead, we get the "Ramsay is an evil omnipotent mastermind" story which I hated.

There was a vacuum to fill with an evil character everyone could hate, and the show did too many acrobatics to make him the winner. I actually didn't care for the entire fifth season, not because they made changes, but because their changes were either A. extremely predictable or B. extremely stupid. The Dorne arc was dumb, it should've just been done like the Theon/Ramsay torture scenes. One scene every 2 episodes to remind you they exist and purely for set up. The way it went in the books was too much for TV.

It just goes to show you the limitations of TV when telling this story. There was no set-up for the Riverlands arc with Jaime emulating Tywin, because we only knew two River Lords. There was no set-up for the North political showdown because we got 1 northern lord per season, purely for one to die, one to disappear, and one to betray Robb. They had to give Brienne something to do because she's a big side character, but she does nothing but take up screen time to look around. They had to give Sansa a relatively major arc as a main character, but it was another character's story that she was shoehorned into strictly to justify more Ramsay screen time.

Basically, the things they had to leave on the cutting room floor all the way back in season 1 (for justifiable reasons) came back to bite them in the ass. No northern land disputes with Manderly, who is the chief ally of the Starks in the North. No introduction to any other lords in the Riverlands, or the North for that matter.

All in all, I would've put Bronn and Jaime in the RIverlands doing their thing, even with a on-the-nose comment like, "You sound like your daddy." I would've put Brienne on the other side of the Riverlands conflict, helping the Blackfish (I think the actor was great in this role and would've loved to see more of him) because she was Cat's sword, in Riverrun, escaping the siege with him and just missing meeting up with Jaime again. Dorne purely with cut away scenes, plotting their revenge, with one major plot point, a failed assassination attempt on Myrcella to try to invoke a war between Dorne and the IT. And then have half of the north join Stannis, the other half in Winterfell with war councils with Roose, Ramsay and Theon. Sansa could've been in the Vale taking care of Robin/meeting Harry/make up some crisis for her to solve. Dany's arc was fine, with some minor quibbles. Tyrion's was decent, but Jorah getting grayscale made ZERO sense to me. if you're gonna cut JonCon, just cut everything about him. Giving Jorah a death sentence on his way back to Dany was unnecessary, as we already knew he was willing to die to see her again. His "death wish" had nothing to do with grayscale, it's just a useless plot point. And Cersei's arc was fine. Season 5 would've rocked if it was like that.

But most of all, that one scene where Stannis gets the report that they're all out of horses, and then it cuts to Mel getting on a horse bothered the hell out of me. How does no one catch that?

Agreed. I liked the changes to Ramsay's character, making him more charismatically psychotic rather than the pure evil brute he is in books, but the showrunners made a big mistke making him extremely competent and basically a main character. Personally, I think they didn't want to make him Joffrey 2.0 (a cruel, evil coward) so they had to make him competent, but he gets way too much screentime. I know that keeping the North arc the political powder-keg/Theon redemption story would've been a risk for the showrunners to take. Switching the scene of politics from anywhere but King's Landing would probably confuse the most of the audience a bit, but I wish they attempted it. Instead, we get the "Ramsay is an evil omnipotent mastermind" story which I hated.

There was a vacuum to fill with an evil character everyone could hate, and the show did too many acrobatics to make him the winner. I actually didn't care for the entire fifth season, not because they made changes, but because their changes were either A. extremely predictable or B. extremely stupid. The Dorne arc was dumb, it should've just been done like the Theon/Ramsay torture scenes. One scene every 2 episodes to remind you they exist and purely for set up. The way it went in the books was too much for TV.

It just goes to show you the limitations of TV when telling this story. There was no set-up for the Riverlands arc with Jaime emulating Tywin, because we only knew two River Lords. There was no set-up for the North political showdown because we got 1 northern lord per season, purely for one to die, one to disappear, and one to betray Robb. They had to give Brienne something to do because she's a big side character, but she does nothing but take up screen time to look around. They had to give Sansa a relatively major arc as a main character, but it was another character's story that she was shoehorned into strictly to justify more Ramsay screen time.

Basically, the things they had to leave on the cutting room floor all the way back in season 1 (for justifiable reasons) came back to bite them in the ass. No northern land disputes with Manderly, who is the chief ally of the Starks in the North. No introduction to any other lords in the Riverlands, or the North for that matter.

All in all, I would've put Bronn and Jaime in the RIverlands doing their thing, even with a on-the-nose comment like, "You sound like your daddy." I would've put Brienne on the other side of the Riverlands conflict, helping the Blackfish (I think the actor was great in this role and would've loved to see more of him) because she was Cat's sword, in Riverrun, escaping the siege with him and just missing meeting up with Jaime again. Dorne purely with cut away scenes, plotting their revenge, with one major plot point, a failed assassination attempt on Myrcella to try to invoke a war between Dorne and the IT. And then have half of the north join Stannis, the other half in Winterfell with war councils with Roose, Ramsay and Theon. Sansa could've been in the Vale taking care of Robin/meeting Harry/make up some crisis for her to solve. Dany's arc was fine, with some minor quibbles. Tyrion's was decent, but Jorah getting grayscale made ZERO sense to me. if you're gonna cut JonCon, just cut everything about him. Giving Jorah a death sentence on his way back to Dany was unnecessary, as we already knew he was willing to die to see her again. His "death wish" had nothing to do with grayscale, it's just a useless plot point. And Cersei's arc was fine. Season 5 would've rocked if it was like that.

But most of all, that one scene where Stannis gets the report that they're all out of horses, and then it cuts to Mel getting on a horse bothered the hell out of me. How does no one catch that?

Good stuff. For the bolded (one yours, one mine): It's always amusing to me that GRRM set out to write a book that was un-adaptable to the screen after years of working within the confines of the TV industry, he certainly succeeded in his vision of a sprawling, multi pronged narrative -- and yet it still became the biggest TV show in the industry.

About the horses, I forget exactly the sequence, but Mel was riding the horse after she abandoned Stannis, right? As in, they said the horses are gone then they cut to her riding off on a horse -- wasn't that because she took the horse and the others froze?

Good stuff. For the bolded (one yours, one mine): It's always amusing to me that GRRM set out to write a book that was un-adaptable to the screen after years of working within the confines of the TV industry, he certainly succeeded in his vision of a sprawling, multi pronged narrative -- and yet it still became the biggest TV show in the industry.

About the horses, I forget exactly the sequence, but Mel was riding the horse after she abandoned Stannis, right? As in, they said the horses are gone then they cut to her riding off on a horse -- wasn't that because she took the horse and the others froze?

They showed her getting on a horse in Stannis' camp, after they said all the horses were gone.

And no doubt, the show is a complete hit. I'm surprised it took off as well as it did, the first season was slow (being the most faithful).

• 1 month later...

Bump -

ccrew members have been spotted in Northern Ireland filming for a massive battle scene. The battle is thought to be between Snow and the Ramsay Bolton, both of whom will be leading several armies in this epic fight.

See who will be killed off in the next season (one of many I am sure)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

that was a tease? More like a super fast recap.

I think there is more spoiler in my spoiler than that .

True, though the choice of characters in this teaser in relation to Snow was interesting. You have Bran's mentor doing the narration, all the Stark children, plus Danny and Jamie and the White Walker King. We assume Danny and Snow are siblings (at least half), Bran and the Starks as well, and it's been rumored (from Nan) that the White Walker King was once a Stark himself... but what about Jamie? His inclusion in this teaser could mean nothing, or it could be quite meaningful.

True, though the choice of characters in this teaser in relation to Snow was interesting. You have Bran's mentor doing the narration, all the Stark children, plus Danny and Jamie and the White Walker King. We assume Danny and Snow are siblings (at least half), Bran and the Starks as well, and it's been rumored (from Nan) that the White Walker King was once a Stark himself... but what about Jamie? His inclusion in this teaser could mean nothing, or it could be quite meaningful.

Might be Jamie gets eaten by a dragon as he tries to kill Tyrion.

The Stark lineage - all freaks I tell ya.

When will Sansa's wargness come out?

And where the hell is the youngest son?

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry readers. I'm sure most of you knew he wouldn't get the book out first, but it's official now. From his comments, it's hard to even tell how close he is to finishing book six.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/books/game-thrones-author-george-r-r-martin-says-he-missed-n489201

Really, how difficult is it to write 500 pages of random new characters in incoherent, unrelated, divergent plots?

I swear, it's taking so long because GRRM backed himself into a corner with the last two books, and has no idea where to go next.

Really, how difficult is it to write 500 pages of random new characters in incoherent, unrelated, divergent plots?

I swear, it's taking so long because GRRM backed himself into a corner with the last two books, and has no idea where to go next.

It's either that or he's bored with his own world. I only say that because he's branching off into sci fi with a new HBO show and also executive producing another series. Lots of new shiny things for him to build, Westeroos must feel like an obligation now.